• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A News Story Subverted: The Bllomberg Bill

neuroblades

Hello one and all. This is from my first post in the WV section, this is a news story that "someone" seems to be trying to hid from someone, or possibly from everyone! The story was posted on The Charleston (WV) Gazette and then was pulled off the papers site page, odd at best! But alas, I recovered the article via a little used method. ;) Here's the article as it ran:

"Almost any criminal, psycho, drunk, wife-basher, drug addict or other prohibited person can buy a pistol illegally at a gun show - no questions asked. Test after test has found that many gun show dealers, licensed or unlicensed, sell deadly weapons to practically anyone with money, evading federal laws that forbid sales to the unfit.

Here's the link where I found the story once the CZ killed it on their site:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NgfinrYqp4cJ:www.wvgazette.com/Opinion/201003180633+is+it+illegal+for+pawn+shops+to+buy+guns+in+west+virginia&cd=1&hl=en&
ct=clnk&gl=us

............--Moderator Edited--
(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Smith & Wesson

Is ANY small part of this article true? LOL! Talk about a hit piece with nothing to back it up!

The bill is very real. Please do some home work before coming onto a forum trying to flame other people and troll all day and in the end making yourself look like a moron.

langzaiguy

Gravedigger has a legitimate point. Sounds like you're the one doing the flaming, S&W. Just because someone voices a different opinion does not mean it constitutes as trolling. Neuro posted a story from an opinion selection that no longer exists and no sources have been cited. Perhaps we should look at things logically and intellectually rather than fall back on emotional accusations.

neuroblades

Is ANY small part of this article true? LOL! Talk about a hit piece with nothing to back it up!

Well, it is true that the college students did hit up the gun shows making the purchases trying to prove that "private" gun owners would sell weapons without doing the background check that are required of FFL dealers. The college students have their videos posted on You Tube, I watched a couple of them sometime back. It is true that Bloomberg has been illegally making "strw purchases" in Virginia and West Virginia! It is true that West Virginia & Virginia have passed laws as stated! Other than that, there's no truth to be found.

neuroblades

Whoa! Let's step down for a moment, this all looks to be a HUGE misunderstanding here.

First off, the article posted DOES have a posted link to where I recovered it, unless that web cache has been wiped by Google. The link is at the end of the article and my closing statement.

Second, Gravedigger (sorry if I remembered your tag incorrectly.) was not attempting to "troll" my post. I understand what he's saying here. He's asking if there's any bit of truth in the posted article that was written by an obviously liberal staff writer of the paper, he's not questioning what I posted, hence my reply to his post.

Third, I'll just assume that S&W has likewise misunderstood as well and leave it at that.

OK, let's hope that this sets this thread straight and we no longer have a misunderstanding on this post. *LOL*

langzaiguy

You say all those things are true (and they may very well be), but are we just supposed to take your word for it? You cite one source as YouTube and another is an opinion article that was retracted. Neither seem credible. I would not be a bit surprised if it is indeed true. I just won't accept it as truth until it's verified.

Smith & Wesson

As you can see, I did not take his statement the wrong way. But thats ok, if you want proof that any of it is true please feel free to google it. There is a ton of into about it on the internet. Its very easy to say something aint true without doing a little research. Look into it, its not that hard.

langzaiguy

@S&W I did google it, but I confess I didn't spend too much time on it. I'm not the one making claims. The burden of proof does not fall on me. If you're going to make a statement claiming to be true, then be prepared to back it up.

neuroblades

WOW! Talk about someone going off somewhere! I have NO IDEA where anyone is on this topic. *LOL* I just posted it here as a matter for discussion, if anyone cared to bring this back to light, not to make a HUGE STINK about, geez!

As per what was written, I can not speak for the staff writer of the article. As per some of the things mentioned, I've run across them in the pass.

As far as that, this has no effect on me personally, I reside in Kentucky and I no longer work in federal LE. I'm just gald to hear that the states mentioned took swift action against the likes of Mayor Bloomberg of NY! :)

Coded-Dude

If you typed in the address, used a bookmark or followed a link from another Web site, the page is no longer available. Most articles remain online for seven days after publication. Articles back to 1985 are available through Charleston Newspapers' library

The article could very well have been taken down due to their content policy/bandwidth needs. I'm not quite sure what some are going on about here either. Whats not to believe? The stings. The Senate Bill, The Article....

/confused

Last edited:

neuroblades

@Dude The fact that none of the claims have been substantiated.

OK, this is not the best time in the world for me to be trying to respond to this thread, major illness with my Dad (had 2 strokes today) and such, but perhaps it will take my mind off that for a bit.

I DO NOT understand why this thread has become such a big stink! Dear GOD, you'd think I was writing a law that was going to strip everyone's weapons from their cold,. dead hands or something. If someone of you wish to bitch and nitpick, so be it! I was just politely trying to bring to light how the liberal media had back spun this story to make it about something it's not (the college students trying to fabricate a sting of their) and down play what it was actually about (Mayor Bloomberg and his rogue "agents" attempting to make straw purchases in WV and Va). How the media downplayed the real reasons for the law being created and passed.

The facts are there about how the media spun the story, I POSTED IT!!! The video link to the You Tube video from the kid from VT that I had mentioned previously is at the end of this post and the fact that the bill was passed into law is a matter of public record. There! I did the footwork for some of you folks.

End of story!

Link to VT student "sting": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baPgr_tw79Q

Also see: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/07/bloomberg-report-alleges-illegal-sales-at-gun-shows/

There! Is that enough? Is that "credible" & "verified" enough????

For the polite and nice folks posting or reading over this thread, if you're wondering why I'm heated over this now it's simple! I "verify" anything and EVERYTHING I post here!!! It has been and will always be SOP in my books! It was how I was taught, and how I learned to do my job and it has carried through in my life ever since. To question once or maybe even twice is understandable but to keep it up is NOT!

Personally, I don't see the issue that some have had on this. It doesn't directly effect those of us in Kentucky. I personally view it as a cautionary example though. EOL

Last edited:

neuroblades

The article could very well have been taken down due to their content policy/bandwidth needs. I'm not quite sure what some are going on about here either. Whats not to believe? The stings. The Senate Bill, The Article....

/confused

Nice to see someone gets the fact that this was a liberal slam job against gun shows and NOT against the illegal straw purchases which is where the fault lies.

Thank you Coded Dude. :)

langzaiguy

@Neuro Please don't think me too critical. I have a feeling that what you're saying is true. If I had to put money on it I'd prolly put money on it being legit. I just want to know the truth. As a history teacher, I always check the source of information because I want to know if there may be any biases, inaccuracies, or errors. I don't want to propagate what I think or want to be true, only later to find out that it isn't. Bottom line, I hope it's not true, I wouldn't be surprised if it is--I just want it verified.

Haha well, again I hope I don't come across TOO critical, BUT: There's no indication that Mayor Bloomberg sent those people into the gun shows. I know that there are people out there that think there's a "gun show loophole" and I know that the Brady Campaign is radically against the nonsense. Still, I don't think this video verifies anything except that the Brady Campaign is nutty.

I tried googling Senate Bill 515 and couldn't find anything.

neuroblades

@Neuro Please don't think me too critical. I have a feeling that what you're saying is true. If I had to put money on it I'd prolly put money on it being legit. I just want to know the truth. As a history teacher, I always check the source of information because I want to know if there may be any biases, inaccuracies, or errors. I don't want to propagate what I think or want to be true, only later to find out that it isn't. Bottom line, I hope it's not true, I wouldn't be surprised if it is--I just want it verified.

Haha well, again I hope I don't come across TOO critical, BUT: There's no indication that Mayor Bloomberg sent those people into the gun shows. I know that there are people out there that think there's a "gun show loophole" and I know that the Brady Campaign is radically against the nonsense. Still, I don't think this video verifies anything except that the Brady Campaign is nutty.

I tried googling Senate Bill 515 and couldn't find anything.

Is this what you're looking for langzaiguy : http://patricksperry.wordpress.com/...michael-bloomberg-better-get-the-one-correct/

SB515 was vetoed by the Gov. due to things in it. It was then re-worked and renumbered SB1005 by the Gov.

Last edited:

neuroblades

This is a follow-up to this running thread: http://patricksperry.wordpress.com/...michael-bloomberg-better-get-the-one-correct/

Straw Purchase Felon Michael Bloomberg better get this one correct :)
By Patrick Sperry

The Mayor of New York City had better be looking a bit south and paying some attention to what is happening there. This is a States Rights issue and it really should have been written to cover more issues than firearms. But? West Virginia shines this day. Basking in the bright light of liberty and justice!

Fairfax, Va. — Today Governor Joe Manchin (D) signed NRA-supported Senate Bill 1005 into law in West Virginia. He had vetoed the original version of this bill (SB 515) earlier this year due to a drafting error. Recognizing the importance of this measure, Governor Manchin added SB 515 to his agenda for the 2010 Extraordinary Session and it was renumbered SB 1005. Both bills, introduced by State Senator Jeff Kessler (D-2), will make it a crime to knowingly solicit illegal gun sales and to conduct illegal sting operations like those conducted by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

“I would like to thank Governor Manchin and the West Virginia legislature for taking the necessary steps to prevent these illegal entrapment schemes,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA-ILA. “We hope that governors and legislators around the country follow in Virginia and West Virginia’s footsteps and make this the law of their respective states.”

This measure passed out of the West Virginia House of Delegates on May 14, 2010 and will take effect 90 days from its passage. A similar piece of legislation was signed into law in Virginia in 2007.

“Any elected official who wants to truly have an impact on reducing crime knows that the way to do it is to focus law enforcement resources on prosecuting crime,” concluded Cox. “Our hardworking federal, state and local law enforcement officials should be able to do their jobs without having to worry about out-of-state politicians and their political agendas.”

Source: http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X13...michael-bloomberg-better-get-the-one-correct/

Sonora Rebel

No wonder they call him Bloomturd!

Judge Rules for the City in Gun Sting of Dealers (Bloomberg's straw man "illegal gun" scheme)
NY Times ^ | January 26, 2008 | NA

"A federal judge in Brooklyn ruled on Friday that the administration of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg did not break the law in conducting sting operations meant to catch out-of-state gun dealers making illegal sales.

The ruling, by Magistrate Judge Cheryl L. Pollak of Federal District Court, followed lawsuits brought by the city against the dealers in the mayor’s campaign against illegal gun trafficking.

In 2006, the city sent teams of private investigators to five states, where they posed as gun buyers. They focused on stores whose guns had been linked to more than 500 crimes in New York City from 1994 to 2001.

Administration officials charged that the investigators caught 27 dealerships allowing so-called straw purchases, in which one person submits to the required federal background check for a gun that is clearly to be used by someone else. The administration sued those dealerships, seeking monetary damages and the power to oversee future transactions. Fifteen of them agreed to the city’s terms, while suits against the remaining 12 are going forward in the Brooklyn court.

In the discovery process, one set of defendants charged that the city had participated in fraud by directing investigators to buy firearms under false pretenses, but Judge Pollak disagreed, finding that no crime or fraud had taken place because the investigators had not bought the guns for other people.
“Though the firearms were purchased as part of an investigation conducted by the city, the investigators retained possession of those firearms after the purchases, and no ‘straw’ sale took place because ownership was never transferred,” she wrote."
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/26/nyregion/26guns.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print