Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC at church?

OC at church?

Im getting ready to head out to church...how many of you OC there? Just curious...

Banned
    Hells yes!

Carry On!

Church

I don't go to church, but if I did, I probably would not carry.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Banned
    I'd run it by your pastor first. Maybe he would want to make an announcement about it to the congregation.

Different denominations have varied views on non-resistance and OCing would be one of those touchy areas.

Banned
    Considering that there has even been just one incident in a church where a mad gunman has come in and went on a shooting rampage, I think it is evident enough that there is a need to carry in a church.

Now if you are just doing it to "make a statement" then go for it. If you just want it there for the protection and do not want to make any statement then ccw while in church and enjoy the service.

Years ago I did attend a Mennonite church in OK...they are passive and anti gun for the most part...Where I go now, would probably be quite receptive to it...may have to try it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
    i'd run it by your pastor first. Maybe he would want to make an announcement about it to the congregation.

Different denominations have varied views on non-resistance and ocing would be one of those touchy areas.
    do not ask permission to exercise your rights!........ever!

McX
    i would like to carry in Church; but have several factors against me: though the Minister is neutral, he doesn't want to be drawn into an issue- i can respect that. We have a school attached to the Church, the Congregation is kinda lefty to me, and ofcourse- homeland attends my Church.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    If you just want it there for the protection and do not want to make any statement then ccw while in church and enjoy the service.
    Considering that it is private property and sanctuary from the Leviathan, that might work, with the concurrence of the local synod/presbyter/council. Generally speaking the pastor is not authoritative.

Apropos this topic of Church Law, I lost a good correspondent recently and sent this;

"It kind of made up a bit for a night of disturbed sleep after attending an acquaintance's memorial service, Michael A. Murray, BA, MA, PhD, JD, working on Doctor of Canon Law JCD and admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the US as attorney and counselor, long time professor at DePaul U. and Islander.

I hope that your day is as beautiful as mine shining in the window, the golden delicious apple colors of Fall."

I OC all the time at my church and I know of 5 other guys in the church who would carry if thay could CC and I know my Paster supports the right to carry and has no problems OC in church.

And I did not ask for permission. I never ask it's my RIGHT.
    Last edited by lance galloway; 10-17-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lance galloway View Post
    I OC all the time at my church ... And I did not ask for permission. I never ask it's my RIGHT.
    It is also private property and not yours.

I do not, but then again, we have a school.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    I have not as of yet. In talking to my pastor, he doesn't seem to have an issue with it. He mentioned that maybe he could put me in charge of the new security committee they are contemplating.

Banned

Apropos, todays NT lesson, 2 Tim 3:14 in some translation. A. Codevilla's point too.

In the presence of ..., who is to judge the living and the dead, ... I solemnly urge you: proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favorable or unfavorable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching. For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound teaching, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths. As for you, always be sober, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist,..."

Luke 22:36

Luke 22:36 NIV translation
    "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

Seems as though our savior new that we needed to be able to protect ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    Luke 22:36 NIV translation
    "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

Seems as though our savior new that we needed to be able to protect ourselves.
    +1

Another church of our denomination hosts a sight in every year and the pastor of that church OCs.

http://slefc.community.officelive.co...er%20sized.pdf

It's private property and should be respected as such. If the Pastor says no, too bad for you. That is no place to start a urination contest.
    Last edited by oak1971; 10-17-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Last year my pastor asked me to carry in church.

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    It's private property and should be respected as such. If the Pastor say no, too bad for you. That is no place to start a urination contest.
    It works different ways at different places. However, in many cases, it is not the pastor's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    It works different ways at different places. However, in many cases, it is not the pastor's decision.
    We covered this in another thread. Yes, you are correct. Depends on the congregation and denomination, etc... A good start would be the pastor. He should know his rights and responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Whoever is in charge should be consulted. Be it Pastor, Elders, Deacons etc....

Doug, If your going to quote scripture, get it right please.

2 Timothy 4

1I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

5But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

And just curious, what does this have to do with OC and self defense?

Banned
    'chuck,

"For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound teaching, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires." Describes OCDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    'chuck,

"For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound teaching, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires." Describes OCDO.
    Talk about quoting scripture out of context. You may want to review Romans Chapter 13.

Rom 13:1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

Rom 13:2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,

Rom 13:4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Rom 13:5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Rom 13:6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing.

Rom 13:7 Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    Talk about quoting scripture out of context.
    "Out of context" is Doug's forte and was almost his swan song if not for the mercy of John (not the apostle, the one that matters here).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast