• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at church?

Spartacus

Banned
I'd run it by your pastor first. Maybe he would want to make an announcement about it to the congregation.

Different denominations have varied views on non-resistance and OCing would be one of those touchy areas.

J.Gleason

Banned
Considering that there has even been just one incident in a church where a mad gunman has come in and went on a shooting rampage, I think it is evident enough that there is a need to carry in a church.

Now if you are just doing it to "make a statement" then go for it. If you just want it there for the protection and do not want to make any statement then ccw while in church and enjoy the service.

M

McX

i would like to carry in Church; but have several factors against me: though the Minister is neutral, he doesn't want to be drawn into an issue- i can respect that. We have a school attached to the Church, the Congregation is kinda lefty to me, and ofcourse- homeland attends my Church.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
If you just want it there for the protection and do not want to make any statement then ccw while in church and enjoy the service.
Considering that it is private property and sanctuary from the Leviathan, that might work, with the concurrence of the local synod/presbyter/council. Generally speaking the pastor is not authoritative.

Apropos this topic of Church Law, I lost a good correspondent recently and sent this;

"It kind of made up a bit for a night of disturbed sleep after attending an acquaintance's memorial service, Michael A. Murray, BA, MA, PhD, JD, working on Doctor of Canon Law JCD and admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the US as attorney and counselor, long time professor at DePaul U. and Islander.

I hope that your day is as beautiful as mine shining in the window, the golden delicious apple colors of Fall."

lance galloway

I OC all the time at my church and I know of 5 other guys in the church who would carry if thay could CC and I know my Paster supports the right to carry and has no problems OC in church.

And I did not ask for permission. I never ask it's my RIGHT.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I have not as of yet. In talking to my pastor, he doesn't seem to have an issue with it. He mentioned that maybe he could put me in charge of the new security committee they are contemplating.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Apropos, todays NT lesson, 2 Tim 3:14 in some translation. A. Codevilla's point too.

In the presence of ..., who is to judge the living and the dead, ... I solemnly urge you: proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favorable or unfavorable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching. For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound teaching, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths. As for you, always be sober, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist,..."

johnny amish

Luke 22:36

Luke 22:36 NIV translation
"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

Seems as though our savior new that we needed to be able to protect ourselves.

paul@paul-fisher.com

oak1971

It's private property and should be respected as such. If the Pastor says no, too bad for you. That is no place to start a urination contest.

Last edited:

sultan62

It's private property and should be respected as such. If the Pastor say no, too bad for you. That is no place to start a urination contest.

It works different ways at different places. However, in many cases, it is not the pastor's decision.

paul@paul-fisher.com

It works different ways at different places. However, in many cases, it is not the pastor's decision.

We covered this in another thread. Yes, you are correct. Depends on the congregation and denomination, etc... A good start would be the pastor. He should know his rights and responsibilities.