• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feds vow marijuana enforcement regardless of California vote, WSJ ...H/T Matt Drudge

sudden valley gunner

I might take it one step further. "And, if I support your liberty, you damn well better support mine."

I would concur and have always considered my self a liberty lover have found that over years there were liberties I had to adjust my personal view points on, even though they might make me uncomfortable, I better "damn well" support them. Other wise it is nothing but hypocrisy to cry "liberty" but stifle those that might seem repugnant to yourself.

beebobby

I think Obama wants a change in the marijuana laws on a national level rather than another bunch of laws that vary from state to state (like CCW).

oak1971

I oppose all drugs for recreational use. If there is a legitimate medical use, fine. I'm not convinced weed qualifies.

Coded-Dude

marijuana is essentially safer than table salt............while it is by definition a "drug" (alters the state of the body) so are many other legal substances that are far more dangerous. there is no reason it should be treated as an illegal substance. the pros(uses for cannabis and hemp) outweigh the cons by a long shot.

Coded-Dude

there is no PROVEN, DOCUMENTED case of a fatality regarding the usage of marijuana in humans(or any large mammal for that matter). scientists have been unable to give the drug an accurate LD-50 rating. Its estimated to be around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000 - meaning you'd have to smoke about 1500 pounds in 15 minutes to initiate a fatality.

Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.

safer than many of the foods that we eat daily......which are necessary for survival.

Last edited:

Daylen

marijuana is essentially safer than table salt............while it is by definition a "drug" (alters the state of the body) so are many other legal substances that are far more dangerous. there is no reason it should be treated as an illegal substance. the pros(liberty and a limited federal government) outweigh the cons by a long shot.

I corrected it for you.

Tawnos

I oppose all drugs for recreational use. If there is a legitimate medical use, fine. I'm not convinced weed qualifies.

Fine, don't do them. Would you commit violence against your fellow man to stop them from using something recreationally?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Fine, don't do them. Would you commit violence against your fellow man to stop them from using something recreationally?

Violence? That's behavior more closely related to the drug trade.

I believe he is pointing out that by supporting legal penalties for recreational use, the supporter is essentially deputizing the legal system to use force against the recreational user on his behalf.

If a recreational user objects to shiny bracelets and going along to the station for fingerprinting with the nice policeman, the nice policeman is going to use force. If the user objects to this [strike]kidnapping[/strike] arrest, and physically resists, the nice policeman is going to escalate. The nice policeman will escalate to lethal force if need be. All for a recreational use.

Last edited:

rotty

I refuse to stand on the fence on this issue. Although I do not use Marijuana, I know many peers that do. I have never seen ANY of them act a fool like they do after 10 Budweiser's. I honestly believe that the government feels the need to gain revenue from keeping this drug's prohibited status and that is the ONLY reason it is not a legal alternative to alcoholic beverages.

Why should it be ok for the government to allow liquor stores and gas stations to sell an array of intoxicating beverages to the public that is directly responsible for a staggering amount of deaths each year both directly and indirectly?

Why should it not be legal to purchase something that is also mind altering and far less harmful directly and indirectly?

Just my .02

oak1971

I believe he is pointing out that by supporting legal penalties for recreational use, the supporter is essentially deputizing the legal system to use force against the recreational user on his behalf.

If a recreational user objects to shiny bracelets and going along to the station for fingerprinting with the nice policeman, the nice policeman is going to use force. If the user objects to this [strike]kidnapping[/strike] arrest, and physically resists, the nice policeman is going to escalate. The nice policeman will escalate to lethal force if need be. All for a recreational use.

I know what he was getting at, I chose to ignore it. Don't break the law and you won't have to worry. Pretty simple.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Violence? That's behavior more closely related to the drug trade.

I know what he was getting at, I chose to ignore it. Don't break the law and you won't have to worry. Pretty simple.

So,

1) Your answer to his question must then be that you would use violence against your fellow man for recreational use, or depute others (government agents), or agree with government doing it. And,

2) You were deliberately refusing to answer his question, while

3) Over-simplifying in favor of statism.

I get it.

Wouldn't it be better to just use his question as food for thought to re-examine conclusions and attitudes? Even Ben Franklin, at 80+ years, conceded he had many times found that he was required to modify his opinions after finding out more. At first glance, one might wonder why such a sage fellow would need to modify his opinions if he was so wise in the first place. But, maybe that was part of his formula, listening and re-thinking? Maybe?

Last edited:

Tawnos

You chose.... poorly.

Forty years of policy banning marijuana has not curtailed its usage. Forty years of bad policy have financed criminal empires that have grown into legitimate government threats in neighboring countries. People like you have stood by and watched the government abuse its citizens, have applauded the militarization of police enforcement, have lost the plot in pursuit of your own zealotry.

Bad law is bad law. That you so willingly would put your fellow citizens away for refusing to follow dangerous policy strikes me as cruel and borderline inhuman. Of course, I expect empathy from humans, and seldom see more than brutalism, personified.