• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huntsville/Madison County OC friendly??

BDjeep05

HI
I'm new here and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience OC in the Huntsville/Madison County area? Is Huntsville/Madison County OC friendly or is LE here ignorant to the law, as it seems so many other areas are?

Brimstone Baritone

First, let me welcome you to OCDO.Thanks for taking an interest in your rights as an Alabama citizen.

That said, I'm afraid you're going to have to move to Mobile. We have far too many active members in the Huntsville area, and that just won't do. ;)

The best places to meet other OCers in the Huntsville area seem to be Posey's Restaurant, Larry's Pistol and Pawn, and AlabamaOpenCarry.com

Daylen

Some should find their own OCers and not try for redistribution ;) Never can have enough freedom lovers up here!! I've not heard of or experienced anything against OC up here so far. Supposedly Starbucks misses us, and Atlanta Bread co seems to like us meeting there.

Last edited:

Neo

Campaign Veteran
Welcome! Huntsville/Madison Co has, so far, been a reasonable place for OC. I've just been doing it off and on for about a year. Most people don't notice or, if they do, they don't freak out. I have encountered law enforcement officers (LEOs) on a few occasions while OC-ing and they haven't raised an eyebrow. However, your mileage may vary. Also, you shouldn't have to, but it does pay to be clean cut and decently dressed while OC-ing. There's a group that meets most Saturday's at 10:30 AM at Atlanta Bread on University Drive in the Target shopping center.

AL Ranger

Are we welcome at all Huntsville Starbucks? When is the next meet?
We sort of out-grew Starbucks! The North Alabama group, meeting in Huntsville, has the largest group of OCers meeting in the state. We are working to continually grow the group to make it the biggest and most-effective in Alabama. We encourage all OCers, or supporters of OC and/or the RKBA, to meet with us every Saturday morning. Come on over to Alabama Open Carry and keep up with what we are doing. If you need any info as to what is going on as far as OC in the Huntsville area, give me a holler!

Last edited:

Kingfish

...but it does pay to be clean cut and decently dressed while OC-ing.
I take serious issue with this.

Why is it inadvisable to just OC in our everyday lives? Do my freedoms stop because I choose to have long hair and a beard? Do my rights end when I choose to wear shorts, sandals and t-shirts?
Why is it required to look like a cop to be allowed to OC?

What I hear you saying is "Just look like an off duty/plain clothes LEO and you will not be hassled....Look like a scruffy hippy and you should be taken down."

Do I need to keep my gun hidden if I am in greasy jeans and t-shirt going to the parts store for a starter for the truck?

Are ties required or is business casual sufficient to exercise a God given RIGHT?

As for me, there are only 2 people who get to tell me how to dress...My boss and my wife.

eye95

...but it does pay to be clean cut and decently dressed while OC-ing.

I take serious issue with this.

Why is it inadvisable to just OC in our everyday lives? Do my freedoms stop because I choose to have long hair and a beard? Do my rights end when I choose to wear shorts, sandals and t-shirts?
Why is it required to look like a cop to be allowed to OC?

What I hear you saying is "Just look like an off duty/plain clothes LEO and you will not be hassled....Look like a scruffy hippy and you should be taken down."

Do I need to keep my gun hidden if I am in greasy jeans and t-shirt going to the parts store for a starter for the truck?

Are ties required or is business casual sufficient to exercise a God given RIGHT?

As for me, there are only 2 people who get to tell me how to dress...My boss and my wife.

He was giving advice. Good advice.

Yes, you have the right to carry regardless how you dress. No, you don't have to dress the way anyone else tells you to. However, I agree with the advice. It is possible to have long hair and a beard and to wear jeans and a t-shirt and maintain a neat appearance.

Kingfish

He was giving advice. Good advice.

Yes, you have the right to carry regardless how you dress. No, you don't have to dress the way anyone else tells you to. However, I agree with the advice. It is possible to have long hair and a beard and to wear jeans and a t-shirt and maintain a neat appearance.

Very disappointing.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, eye95.

Kingfish, perhaps you missed the preface to my comment/advice i.e. "Also, you shouldn't have to, but...". I don't believe there should be a dress code to OC, but there's no denying the difference it makes (at least around here) when dealing with LEOs and ordinary citizens. Ironically, I discovered OC *because* I started wearing suits to work.

Because of the nature of my place of business (which shall remain anonymous) I could wear jeans, an un-tucked shirt, and flip flops if I wanted. (My supervisor routinely does so during the summer.) That kind of attire makes CC very easy. However, I decided that I wanted to crank things up a notch for my own benefit and began dressing up for work. After one hot summer day CC-ing in a full suit, I remembered I had heard about this OC thing and wondered what AL law was. When I found out OC was constitutional and backed up with caselaw in AL, I was able to take off the jacket with confidence and get some relief from the 90°F/80% RH weather around here.

So, until we all have the beautiful situation enjoyed by AK and AZ, there will be some unspoken caveats for OC-ers.

I take serious issue with this....