Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Holster Recommendation

  1. #1
    Regular Member Smith & Wesson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Grayson Ky
    Posts
    28

    Holster Recommendation

    I am a proud owner of a SW40VE. Smith & Wesson .40. Can anyone suggest a good low priced form fitted holster.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    136
    I believe the Fobus HK1 will give you what you want. Although I've never had one myself, I strongly considered one in my search for a holster for my Springfield XD45. The HK1 is modeled for your piece.

    Molded, click-retention system, and inexpensive. Sounds good to me. :P

  3. #3
    Regular Member jimd_21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Blackfoot, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    185
    Nice...I care the same pistol...in a blackhawk retention holster....love the feel and the adjustability of the blackhawk system.....go blackhawk....you will love it

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    136
    I eventually decided on the Blackhawk Serpa as well. I strongly reccomend it. Although you can spend a lot of money on a BH holster, you don't have to-- I paid ~$30 for mine.

  5. #5
    Regular Member DCKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wet Side, WA
    Posts
    527
    Yep, Blackhawk Serpa CQC Level 2 is where it's at. It's a very very good deal for what you get. I can't speak enough about it.

  6. #6
    Can anyone recommend a good leather holster for the sw40ve?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan6679 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good leather holster for the sw40ve?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    I bought a FIST Holster for my Baby Eagle, and I love it. They had a lot of different styles and you can choose which options you want. Mine is the #12 Basic and cost about $130, with a thumbreak, reinforcement of the top, a tension screw and boning. Not cheap, but I'm very happy with it. If you check their website, they have a list of the guns they make holsters for. Also, it took about 6 weeks from the time I ordered until I received it.

    http://www.fist-holsters.com/

    I've also heard good things about Tucker gunleather, but don't have any experience with them.

    http://www.tuckergunleather.com/
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  8. #8
    Awesome thank you. I am not a fan of the plastic holsters at all.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Belt or paddle?

    I use a DeSantis Viper for my XD40. below is a link to the options DeSantis has for the 40VE. Unfortunately you do not have a paddle version of the Viper for your gat. I am not a fan of having to take off my belt to remove the holster.

    http://www.desantisholster.com/store...9G-9V-9VE-40VE

    I use a CQC for hunting and other activities where the firearm need to be retained and the holster is not a fashion accessory at the same time. My CQC, while very functional and in good working order has seen better days.

    Good luck.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Belt or paddle?

    I use a DeSantis Viper for my XD40. below is a link to the options DeSantis has for the 40VE. Unfortunately you do not have a paddle version of the Viper for your gat. I am not a fan of having to take off my belt to remove the holster.

    http://www.desantisholster.com/store...9G-9V-9VE-40VE

    I use a CQC for hunting and other activities where the firearm need to be retained and the holster is not a fashion accessory at the same time. My CQC, while very functional and in good working order has seen better days.

    Good luck.
    I use a belt holster, I thread it with my belt loop at about 3 o'clock. I don't take it off that often, but it is a PITA when I do.

    I also have a cheap Camel holster I bought in Afghanistan, 6 months old and it still smells like a camel, but it's good for dirtier occasions.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    I use a belt holster, I thread it with my belt loop at about 3 o'clock. I don't take it off that often, but it is a PITA when I do.

    I also have a cheap Camel holster I bought in Afghanistan, 6 months old and it still smells like a camel, but it's good for dirtier occasions.
    I have a Camel coat that I have had over 20 years, tough stuff.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have a Camel coat that I have had over 20 years, tough stuff.
    Actually I bought that (instead of a leather one at the same place) because you told me that when I was trying to find a holster for my pistol, since it's uncommon and I didn't know much about buying a holster.

    I didn't even know you could by a holster that just fit a normal sized pistol, thought the only option was custom made.

    Your coat didn't stink did it?

    My camel holster sure does, I can smell it when I'm wearing it and on long trips my wife can smell it in the truck.

    Got to love the "authentic" Afghani leather treatment.
    Last edited by ron73440; 01-15-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  13. #13
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    Actually I bought that (instead of a leather one at the same place) because you told me that when I was trying to find a holster for my pistol, since it's uncommon and I didn't know much about buying a holster.

    I didn't even know you could by a holster that just fit a normal sized pistol, thought the only option was custom made.

    Your coat didn't stink did it?

    My holster sure does, I can smell it when I'm wearing it and on long trips my wife can smell it in the truck.

    Got to love the "authentic" Afghani leather treatment.
    No it didn't, well when it was new there was the smell of the tanning. Even when it was wet it did not smell, any skin if tanned correctly should not smell. Pig, goat, lamb have the worst smell before tanning, IMO. Lamb being the worst, but after the process all that can be smelled is a trace of the chemicals.

    I worked for a small processing plant when young, I got to smell the skins before they were shipped off.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,201
    None of my nylon or composite holsters have any problems with smell.

    Never had a leather one smell.


    I never found one holster that does it all for most of my hand guns I have several holsters.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  15. #15
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    Just to be clear, my camel skin holster I bought at the Afghani store on base is the one that stinks, not the FIST one.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  16. #16
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    Just to be clear, my camel skin holster I bought at the Afghani store on base is the one that stinks, not the FIST one.
    Was the camel skin holster a hair on skin, or a smooth skin like leather. It could be the holster was not tanned, and is nothing more than dried skin.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  17. #17
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Was the camel skin holster a hair on skin, or a smooth skin like leather. It could be the holster was not tanned, and is nothing more than dried skin.
    Smooth and light brown, with a symbol and the word "Afghanistan" embossed on it.

    Maybe you're right, but wouldn't it start to fall apart or rot if it isn't tanned?
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  18. #18
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    Smooth and light brown, with a symbol and the word "Afghanistan" embossed on it.

    Maybe you're right, but wouldn't it start to fall apart or rot if it isn't tanned?
    Not if is kept dry.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •