• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

felons for sheriff

papa bear

a voting issue coming up here in NC is to add to the constitution, that a convicted felon could not run for nor hold the office of sheriff. this probably stems from Gerald Hege running for office again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Hege. from what i understand , there are felons serving as sheriffs.
what made me think that this is a gun issue. is that as a felon they are not allowed firearms by the federal gov..
i was wondering what people from different parts of the nation think about this?:eek:

Last edited:

ChiangShih

a voting issue coming up here in NC is to add to the constitution, that a convicted felon could not run for nor hold the office of sheriff. this probably stems from Gerald Hege running for office again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Hege. from what i understand , there are felons serving as sheriffs.
what made me think that this is a gun issue. is that as a felon they are not allowed firearms by the federal gov..
i was wondering what people from different parts of the nation think about this?:eek:

I would hate to think that there are current felons holding the office of sheriff and it seems like it would be difficult to get around the issue of firearms restriction and properly preform the duties of sheriff. However, I do think there should be a system in place for lower level felons and offenders (non-violents) to get their felony status amended. Some bad eggs should stay labeled bad eggs, but I do respect the argument of stigmatization and non-integrative-shaming.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The Sheriff does not need a gun to perform his duties, which are administrative in nature.

I see a couple of problems, though:
1) A Sheriff is the legal possessor/owner of all the department's firearms. As we all know, felons can neither own nor posses firearms, and can get arrested for "constructive possession" just as easily as for actually holding it in their hand.
2) Conviction of a felony generally terminates your right to hold public office - especially an "office of public trust".
Depending on the jurisdiction that right may or may not be restored at some time by some process.
3) The first time someone gets a warning instead of a ticket, or gets "roughed up" during an arrest, or the manhunt fails to catch the suspect, or anything else happens the Sheriff is going to be accused of either favoring his criminal buddies or exacting revenge on all the squares who sent him up years ago.

All that being said, I am personally aquainted with several felons who have since lived a law-abiding and productive life - just as I am aquainted with several felons who need to be locked up again. Being a felon does not make one a completely bad person, but it sure is not who I would want for Sheriff no mater how "reformed" his life was.

stay safe.

Jack House

The term 'felon' is a joke and is, as far as I am concerned, of little consequence when it comes to who can and can not be sheriff.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I watched Wyatt Earp on Sunday, and read through the rather lengthy Wikipedia entry on him.

These days, he probably would have been convicted of a number of things. He was still a good sheriff in his day, however.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The term 'felon' is a joke and is, as far as I am concerned, of little consequence when it comes to who can and can not be sheriff.

See, here in Virginia it makes all the difference in the world. By law you cannot hold the office. Does not matter what other rights you get restored. Not even a Presidential pardon can make it happen. Only way is via an unconditional pardon from the Governor.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
See, here in Virginia it makes all the difference in the world. By law you cannot hold the office. Does not matter what other rights you get restored. Not even a Presidential pardon can make it happen. Only way is via an unconditional pardon from the Governor.

stay safe.

Then so be it. If you have any desire to hold office, don't screw up. Show you have what it takes throughout life to later hold that office.

Enough said.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Then so be it. If you have any desire to hold office, don't screw up. Show you have what it takes throughout life to later hold that office.

Enough said.

I'm not sure I agree with you. There but for the grace .... And I know a lot more folks than I'd like to admit to knowing that became felons for paperwork errors when there was no mens rea to commit the crime.

Some of those folks have had some or all of their civil rights restored, but getting that absolute pardon is one tough political move. I'm not sure Ghandi could have gotten his petition approved.

stay safe.

sultan62

Yeah, I just filled out my absentee ballot and voted 'against'.

No, I'm not joking if you're wondering.