• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Carry at U-of-M....What Would It Take?

The Expert

Sefner, I do go to the University of Michigan in Dearborn. I do not carry there.

I was thinking of wearing my empty shoulder holster at all time instead of just when the Campus Carry people organize one of those open holster days. Putting it out there that there is a violation of rights going on.

I decided against it though. My life as a full time student is much different than when I was making good money in real estate. I have pretty much zero time and very little discretionary funds. I simply am not willing to have a single instance of the Campus Police harassing me and demanding to search my car because my holster serves as "probable cause" in that it gives them the impression that I may have disarmed in my vehicle but still violated the law by having the pistol in the car on campus.

Zero time, zero patience for these types of things.

Sefner

I was looking around on the Hillsdale College website because I know they don't accept any fed. or state subsidized student loans and I found this:

In the wake of Heller and McDonald I wonder if the Grove City v. Bell decision could be used to our advantage.

It probably would be used to our advantage. A lot of case law could. Enough to win a case. But the question isn't can we win it, it's how much time and money do we want to spend on a case like this? I, like TheExpert, have an abundant amount of neither of these resources.

Does anyone know if UofM's Weapon's Ordinance has been successfully or unsuccessfully applied to... ie someone charged with... possessing a pistol on campus since Michigan became a "shall issue" state?

If it has been enforced, does anyone know if any of the Article X, sec 4 Weapon's Ordinance exceptions were attempted as a defense to the charges?

I am unaware of this occuring. I'm fairly certain that anyone stopped with a firearm on U of M property is let off with a warning (unless there is RS they indent to use it illegally, of course) for the very reason we talk here today, U of M is afraid of a test case.