Thread: Ottumwa attempts firearms restrictions

Ottumwa attempts firearms restrictions

PAT SHAVER
    Courier Staff Writer

OTTUMWA An ordinance aimed at keeping firearms off city property will go through its first reading Tuesday.

The Ottumwa City Council will consider the ordinance that would prohibit firearms from being carried in city-owned or leased buildings, parks, the Wapello County Courthouse and the law center at its 6:30 p.m. meeting Tuesday at City Hall. The ordinance would amend Chapter 25, Article IV of the city code.

................--Please Note--
    ..........--Moderator Edited--

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

The ordinance was withdrawn from the agenda at the city council meeting. No news on when or if this will be brought up again. I doubt this is over.

Ottumwa attempts firearms restictions

The city council will probably drop it completely as they want re-elected and this is a hot topic issue for to many Ottumwan's and they could be replaced if it were passed. The only way they could get around it is put it up for election and allow the residents of Ottumwa say by vote if they want this ordinance or not. I believe that there are to many out there that would say no. Even on the democratic side. I would vote against it if it were here in Bloomfield, and I would support a state law that would prevent cities from passing such ordinances.

Quote Originally Posted by casawyer View Post
    The city council will probably drop it completely as they want re-elected and this is a hot topic issue for to many Ottumwan's and they could be replaced if it were passed. The only way they could get around it is put it up for election and allow the residents of Ottumwa say by vote if they want this ordinance or not. I believe that there are to many out there that would say no. Even on the democratic side. I would vote against it if it were here in Bloomfield, and I would support a state law that would prevent cities from passing such ordinances.

There already is a state law preventing such ordinances...

724.28 PROHIBITION OF REGULATION BY POLITICAL
    SUBDIVISIONS.
    A political subdivision of the state shall not enact an ordinance
    regulating the ownership, possession, legal transfer, lawful
    transportation, registration, or licensing of firearms when the
    ownership, possession, transfer, or transportation is otherwise
    lawful under the laws of this state. An ordinance regulating
    firearms in violation of this section existing on or after April 5,
    1990, is void.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    There already is a state law preventing such ordinances...
    The city can't afford the lawsuit that will follow, if they pass this stupid ordinance!