• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ottumwa attempts firearms restrictions

ethies

PAT SHAVER
Courier Staff Writer

OTTUMWA — An ordinance aimed at keeping firearms off city property will go through its first reading Tuesday.

The Ottumwa City Council will consider the ordinance that would prohibit firearms from being carried in city-owned or leased buildings, parks, the Wapello County Courthouse and the law center at its 6:30 p.m. meeting Tuesday at City Hall. The ordinance would amend Chapter 25, Article IV of the city code.

................--Please Note--
..........--Moderator Edited--

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

ethies

The ordinance was withdrawn from the agenda at the city council meeting. No news on when or if this will be brought up again. I doubt this is over.

casawyer

Ottumwa attempts firearms restictions

The city council will probably drop it completely as they want re-elected and this is a hot topic issue for to many Ottumwan's and they could be replaced if it were passed. The only way they could get around it is put it up for election and allow the residents of Ottumwa say by vote if they want this ordinance or not. I believe that there are to many out there that would say no. Even on the democratic side. I would vote against it if it were here in Bloomfield, and I would support a state law that would prevent cities from passing such ordinances.

mrjam2jab

The city council will probably drop it completely as they want re-elected and this is a hot topic issue for to many Ottumwan's and they could be replaced if it were passed. The only way they could get around it is put it up for election and allow the residents of Ottumwa say by vote if they want this ordinance or not. I believe that there are to many out there that would say no. Even on the democratic side. I would vote against it if it were here in Bloomfield, and I would support a state law that would prevent cities from passing such ordinances.

There already is a state law preventing such ordinances...

724.28 PROHIBITION OF REGULATION BY POLITICAL
SUBDIVISIONS.
A political subdivision of the state shall not enact an ordinance
regulating the ownership, possession, legal transfer, lawful
transportation, registration, or licensing of firearms when the
ownership, possession, transfer, or transportation is otherwise
lawful under the laws of this state. An ordinance regulating
firearms in violation of this section existing on or after April 5,
1990, is void.