• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Holiday: Your Opinion Needed

Would you participate in an Open Carry Holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Maybe, I would need more information first

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
C

CitizenJ

I’m a new forum member, but have been a reader for awhile, and a lifelong advocate for the right to self-preservation.

I just had a thought the other day – why not have an open carry holiday? This would be a time, once a year, where the whole country can celebrate not only our second amendment rights, but also the many victories that gun freedoms have ensured – not to mention the lives protected and saved from the use of firearms.

There’s a stigma in the media and in a portion of the general population that guns are inherently dangerous and to be feared. An open carry day would be an opportunity to resolve those fears and demonstrate that responsible citizens are often responsible gun owners, too.

What do you think?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm not in favor of the idea.

The 4th of July is a day set aside to remind us of why we are a free country. Memorial Day is a day set aside to remind us of those who died to keep out country that way. Veterans Day is a day set aside to say Thank You to all the others who served to keep our country that way. Thanksgiving is a day set aside to remind us of how good things are. Mother's Day is a day set aside to remind us we have mothers and should love them. Father's Day, ditto.

Open Carry Day is not going to cut it. First of all, there are still entire states where OC is not allowed. Then there are entire states where, in spite of OC being legal, it is not recognized as being "proper". Do not get me started on those folks who can openly carry, but are not allowed to have their sidearms loaded.

But most importantly, for me, is that I do not want it to be brought to mind one day a year and forgotten about the other 364. Every day is OC Day.

stay safe.

Brimstone Baritone

^^^ What he said. Besides, it wouldn't be long before the meaning of the 'holiday' would be twisted to the profit of someone who didn't have the 2nd amendment at heart.

Haz.

"There’s a stigma in the media and in a portion of the general population that guns are inherently dangerous and to be feared."

Thousands of people are killed every year down under by, (wait for it), CARS!

Are they actually killed by cars or by people alledegly controling them?

Many are caught drink, drunk-driving, driving under the effects of drugs, narcotics, some are too young and are unlicenced and inexperienced. Is it cars that kill, or people who kill using cars? The media down under never lets the truth get in the way of a good story.

When an criminal armed with a firearm holds up a store or a bank the headlines always cry; "A GUNMAN" robbed a shoe shop, or "A GUNMAN" held up a bank.

What I have I never read is this; a "BASEBALL BAT MAN" killed a home owner during a home invasion?

Or, a "SCREW DRIVER MAN" stabbed his victim killing him?

What about; a "CAR MAN" deliberately ran over his victim?

Base ball bats are dangerous as are golf clubs when used for the wrong reasons. Screw drivers when plunged into a human heart, lungs, kidneys or eye sockets or even a human beings neck is quite dangerous.

Cars, now there a different story. Cars, I mean people driving them), kill hundreds of thousands of people every year, intentionally or unintentionally, depending upon the driver, but we never read of any national push to have them banned do we?

Haz.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm not a fan of the idea for several reasons, all of which have been previously mentioned.

I also think it's exceedingly unlikely it would ever become a holiday, not in this country or any other.

Nearly all our holidays celebrate things for which we're grateful. Don't get me wrong - I'm grateful for open carry! However, OC is only one of many rights and freedoms arising from a very noble and powerful document - our Constitution - and it's amendments. Even though that document wasn't finalized until several years after the Declaration of Independence, we celebrate our entire country every Fourth of July.

Jack House

Just gonna point out that what you described, OP, happens all the time as open carry picnics/dinners/etc. To pigeon hole them to one day a year would be a bit silly. Though you're definitely on the right track, just I feel you are going the wrong way.

Last edited:

eye95

Not necessarily a holiday, but an "observance." It does not have to be official to garner support.

OCtober is a good OC month. Zero-C is 12 in hex. Oops, that one is taken.

Anyway, I like the idea of setting aside a day.

eye95

10-21-1774: First display of the word "Liberty" on a flag, raised by colonists in Taunton, Massachusetts and which was in defiance of British rule in Colonial America.

rodbender

I'm not in favor of the idea.

Independence Day is a day set aside to remind us of why we are a free country. Memorial Day is a day set aside to remind us of those who died to keep out country that way. Veterans Day is a day set aside to say Thank You to all the others who served to keep our country that way. Thanksgiving is a day set aside to remind us of how good things are. Mother's Day is a day set aside to remind us we have mothers and should love them. Father's Day, ditto.

Open Carry Day is not going to cut it. First of all, there are still entire states where OC is not allowed. Then there are entire states where, in spite of OC being legal, it is not recognized as being "proper". Do not get me started on those folks who can openly carry, but are not allowed to have their sidearms loaded.

But most importantly, for me, is that I do not want it to be brought to mind one day a year and forgotten about the other 364. Every day is OC Day.

stay safe.

Fixed it for ya, skid