• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicular collision while OCing--Greenville NC

Dreamer

Last night I was in Greenville working on a project with a friend. We wrapped up around 10pm, and I decided to go home, but first I stopped at a convenience store to get some soda and smokes.

I was OCing (so this post is ON-TOPIC)...

I parked and exited my vehicle in the parking lot. I noticed that across the street were several Greenville PD cruisers, and some of the officers were standing there, chatting with each other, and a doorman at one of the downtown clubs that was open. So I checked my voice recorder to make sure it was ready to go, and exited my vehicle.

As I'm walking around the front of my vehicle, I see a young fellow backing his Chevy pickup into the spot next to mine, and he's coming in at a REALLY oblique angle, and I can tell he's going to hit my HHR. I start shouting and waving my arms right behind his truck, but he keeps on backing up. The cops hear me and are now watching the whole thing happen...

The guy doesn't even hit his brakes until his bumper has creased 2/3s of my passenger side door and the side view mirror snaps off...

So I'm thinking "oh right, here we go..."

So I go back to the passenger side of my vehicle, unlock it, get my registration and insurance out, and have that info AND my DL and CHP already in hand as the officers approach, and I inform the officer that I'm carrying. He says "yeah, I see", takes my info, and tells me to go back to my vehicle and sit in it until they get this figured out...

About 45 minutes later, he hands me my cards all back, and the other drivers insurance info, and lets me know that the accident report will be available in 2 or 3 days.

Never a mention of my OCing, never tried to disarm or detain me--everyone was really cool.

Except for the dude who backed into me... He actually tried to recommend a body shop to me. The nerve of some people...

I was like, "listen--you just backed into my vehicle in an empty parking lot in front of three cruisers full of cops. I don't have a lot of confidence in your judgment right now. I'll use my own shop. I'll have my people call your people, and THEY can sort it out. Have a nice day..."

So my car is smashed up now, and I don't have a side-view mirror on the passenger side. But at least OCing as the "victim" in a collision wasn't an issue...

One officer asked me why I was carrying--I answered, "it's downtown Greenville, it's after dark, I have a family who I love and I'm a law-abiding citizen." He just smiled and nodded.

Attachments

• RixCar2.jpg
    RixCar2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

sultan62

Sorry to hear about your car, but at least we see another example of OC being a non-issue.

Why did you give him your CHP?

elixin77

Yeah, i'm kind of wondering why you gave him your CHP... didn't have to, either legally or morally in any sense.

Sorry bout that car. At least you werent in it...

Dreamer

I was wearing a t-shirt, with an untucked button-down shirt over it, and had sort of "VA-tucked" the shirt behind the Serpa so it was OC, but I handed my CHP over and informed as a matter of courtesy, and to alleviate any suspicion or accusation that I was illegally CCing, just in case my shirt inadvertently obscured my rig...

Plus, being the "victim" in the incident, I didn't want the police to suddenly be "surprised" at what was on my hip, and get all freaked out that I might do something stupid...

I won't generally give up that info unless required.

But in this situation, I wanted to look like I was totally, irreproachably "in the right" and knowledgeable about the law and my situation. Makes for a better accident report--in my favor...And anyway, there were like 6 or 7 GPDs all milling around. I just wanted to be sure that EVERYONE knew what the score was, and I figured the best way to do that was to display my CHP and inform upon initial contact.

Everything worked out well. The LEOs were very polite and friendly. The other guy was cited and his insurance is TOTALLY going to pay for the damage. And I got a positive OC story (although I don't particularly enjoy the context of the event...)

Last edited:

sultan62

I was wearing a t-shirt, with an untucked button-down shirt over it, and had sort of "VA-tucked" the shirt behind the Serpa so it was OC, but I handed my CHP over and informed as a matter of courtesy, and to alleviate any suspicion or accusation that I was illegally CCing, just in case my shirt inadvertently obscured my rig...

Plus, being the "victim" in the incident, I didn't want the police to suddenly be "surprised" at what was on my hip, and get all freaked out that I might do something stupid...

But in this situation, I wanted to look like I was totally, irreproachably "in the right" and knowledgeable about the law and my situation. Makes for a better accident report--in my favor...And anyway, there were like 6 or 7 GPDs all milling around. I just wanted to be sure that EVERYONE knew what the score was, and I figured the best way to do that was to display my CHP and inform upon initial contact.

Everything worked out well. The LEOs were very polite and friendly. The other guy was cited and his insurance is TOTALLY going to pay for the damage. And I got a positive OC story (although I don't particularly enjoy the context of the event...)

Fair enough. It was probably a good call in this case, I was just wondering what your reasoning was.

M

mattwestm

Bummer about the car. I just had a similar event happen to me. My girlfriend was at class at Pitt CC and came out to a dented bumper. I could see flakes of red paint, so I could tell some asshat in a red car hit my car trying to park and then drove off. She was parking in an overflow lot, so there are no cameras. I was pretty pissed because I bought the car not even a month ago. I haven't even received my title yet.

I went to Carolina Collision off Greenville Blvd and they pushed out the dent and removed the paint residue for free. I just need to touch it up a bit with some paint. I'd give Carolina Collision a call; that was pretty nice to do that for no charge.

sultan62

It's always nice when someone does something like that-Dreamer, if you end up using them, I'd recommend telling them you were referred by mattwestm, using the story as the reference.

I'm sure the business owners would appreciate knowing that their act of kindness ended up netting them some business.

chiefjason

My last two insurance issues have been pretty painless, except for the cars. Hopefully it goes well for you. Glad the OC was a non issue.

Resto Guy

It's always nice when someone does something like that-Dreamer, if you end up using them, I'd recommend telling them you were referred by mattwestm, using the story as the reference.

I'm sure the business owners would appreciate knowing that their act of kindness ended up netting them some business.

I know those guys very, very well, about 25 years now. In the last 2 years they painted my mother's Altima and fixed my son's Cadillac.
Ask for Bubba Piner.
And don't talk about guns or hunting-you'll never get out of there!

P.S.- It looks like you'll need a new door skin or shell, plus blend (paint) the hood, fender and rear door to match.

Last edited:

Tomas

Sorry about the damage to the HHR, but pleased with the way the rest of it went.

A good shop will get that back to "perfect" for you.

(BTW, I fully agree with you on handing your CHP to the first officer just to start things off on the proper foot in this instance.)

Resto Guy

If you want to stay closer to home with the repair shop, I would highly recommend Performance Auto Body on 264. Wesley is the owner. He has done paint work on some high end cars I've restored the bodies on. He does super nice work.
Avoid a local shop that starts with a "W"!

smlawrence

Glad there was no problem from the LEO's with your shooting iron. I hate it for your car and very glad there was no injury to you, but I highlighted the sentence that really really bothers me. This guy hits the side of your car and gets a citation. I get ranover by a car as a PEDESTRIAN, and they guy doesn't get sh*t!!! I'm partially typing this with a sarcasm and partially being serious. I guess some LEO's have more sense than others. Good luck with your repairs.

elixin77

SM, unfortunately, depending on where you were in the road, it could have been your fault that the car ran your foot over. I'm not placing blame on you or anyone else, however:

-pedestrians only have the right of way in a crosswalk, and even then, still have to follow traffic laws (only cross when its green)
-if a pedestrian is not in a crosswalk, they are considered jay-walking, and, if the driver who hits a pedestrian is up to snuff, can get the citation put on the pedestrian instead.
-if the pedestrian steps out in front of a moving car, regardless of where he is, he immediately becomes the cause of any accident after, and blame can be placed on him

Driver's ed teaches everyone that pedestrians have the ultimate right of way - they don't. This is because a .75 ton vehicle moving at 35+ mph can not stop in time and does not have the steering capacity to avoid someone who steps in front of the car even 100 feet away.

I see students at my college walk in front of the bus all the time, and the bus driver is forced to slam on the brakes. One person walks merrily across the street, while the bus (20 tons) and all its passengers (up to 4 tons) come to a screeching halt. Those passengers are flung forward, and there have actually been reports of injury because of drivers having to slam on the brakes because some dumba@@ walks across the street in front of a moving bus.

Now, I am sorry about your foot. However, there may have been many reasons as to why the driver didn't get a citation. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone or anything, just trying to educate.

American Patriot

One never comes out whole in an accident regardless how good a repair job is done at the expense of the other drivers insurance. The car that has been in an accident has a reduced value even though it is repaired as new. Just to insure that this reply is on topic glad your weapon was not involved in the accident.

smlawrence

SM, unfortunately, depending on where you were in the road, it could have been your fault that the car ran your foot over. I'm not placing blame on you or anyone else, however:

-pedestrians only have the right of way in a crosswalk, and even then, still have to follow traffic laws (only cross when its green)
-if a pedestrian is not in a crosswalk, they are considered jay-walking, and, if the driver who hits a pedestrian is up to snuff, can get the citation put on the pedestrian instead.
-if the pedestrian steps out in front of a moving car, regardless of where he is, he immediately becomes the cause of any accident after, and blame can be placed on him

Driver's ed teaches everyone that pedestrians have the ultimate right of way - they don't. This is because a .75 ton vehicle moving at 35+ mph can not stop in time and does not have the steering capacity to avoid someone who steps in front of the car even 100 feet away.

I see students at my college walk in front of the bus all the time, and the bus driver is forced to slam on the brakes. One person walks merrily across the street, while the bus (20 tons) and all its passengers (up to 4 tons) come to a screeching halt. Those passengers are flung forward, and there have actually been reports of injury because of drivers having to slam on the brakes because some dumba@@ walks across the street in front of a moving bus.

Now, I am sorry about your foot. However, there may have been many reasons as to why the driver didn't get a citation. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone or anything, just trying to educate.

Its a long story but I wasn't jaywalking. While we are educating, the driver still has the responsibility to exhaust all options to avoid the pedestrian. Which means when a driver see's a pedestrian from a long ways off, he/she may not just blow their horn and proceed to runover the pedestrian without slowing/stopping and/or turning to avoid the pedestrian. The LEO failed at his job except I know he heard me tell my uncle that my gun was locked in my truck and be sure to secure it safely while being loaded into the ambulance and the LEO said nothing of it.

elixin77

Its a long story but I wasn't jaywalking. While we are educating, the driver still has the responsibility to exhaust all options to avoid the pedestrian. Which means when a driver see's a pedestrian from a long ways off, he/she may not just blow their horn and proceed to runover the pedestrian without slowing/stopping and/or turning to avoid the pedestrian. The LEO failed at his job except I know he heard me tell my uncle that my gun was locked in my truck and be sure to secure it safely while being loaded into the ambulance and the LEO said nothing of it.

Of course, of course. As nice as it would be just to honk the horn and keep on going from a mile down the road, it can't be done.

Best of luck with your foot, hopefully you make a full recovery - enough to come down to the range day (see what I did there?), lol:banana::banana:

smlawrence

We might take ya up on that. Hit me up if your ever up this way, as we have 100yds, 250yds, & 400yds setup here to throw a little lead at.

calynn

Similar situation in a broad sense:

Stopped at the Shell station in Vass on Saturday night to fill up my bike. It was pretty chilly, so I had two layers on (phone, wallet and other essentials were in the inner layer since I slipped on the outer), plus my jacket and leather gloves and all that. Made sure my Smith was showing.

Anyway, I pulled up to the pump and began removing helmet/jacket when I heard a bunch of yelling and saw a group come busting out of the doors yelling (to my 8 o' clock). First thing I thought (my weak side was to them) was to make sure I was out of the way, so I got out of the way and proceeded to try to fish my phone out of my pants (adrenaline is crazy stuff for sure, even in this mild of an incident!). So I dialed up 911 and told that a fight was very close to happening - they were being held back, but it was escalating (apparently one of the perp's brothers had been 'jumped' by the other dude, thus causing the tension. She asked if there were any weapons. No (just mine, but I didn't think it was important, and would cause more stress). Description? Two black males, jeans, blue t-shirt, black doo-rag <sp>. I asked her if she could hear them yelling, and she said she certainly could (they were about 30 feet out, now.) Knew the one guy that worked at the subway that is in the station, and the other I graduated from HS with, so I told her that, and then gave vehicle descriptions.

As soon as you could see the lights come around the corner (seriously about or less than 1 minute after the call... very small town and we were less than .25 miles from the PD driving, .1 straight distance) one of them decides it's time leave, and bails out as one town cop (my old neighbor) and a sheriff roll into the scene. They got out and I walked over, made sure he saw I was OCing, he just nodded, told that one had left, one was inside. They went inside, got the story and apparently had another call, because they were out in about two minutes haulin' it back up the road.

All in all, a good experience.

Lessons learned?

I need more adrenaline training.

Stay out of the way/be a good witness is very viable in certain situations (I certainly didn't care if they beat the tar out of each other, as long as they left me alone and out of their shenanigans I was cool.