• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin citizens heat up over possible future gun laws

phred

From waow.com Channel 9, Wausau

http://www.waow.com/Global/story.asp?S=13339563

It was aired Sunday night at 10:00 PM and Monday morning.

"I'm not against people having protection and I believe we have the capacity to have home protection but I don't believe that falls under the concealed weapon law to walk the streets with a gun,"

Wisconsin's current law requires handguns to be clearly displayed in a holster.

It's called Open Carry

Hu Rah!

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Thanks, but I get heated up by incompetent reporterettes quoting someone saying, "...hand gun on there[sic] person." It is not possible to attribute a misspelled quotation to the speaker. Then she writes "Wausau Psychologist[sic]" TWICE as though this psychologist holds the office and title of Wausau Psyuchologist. Udderly[sic] incompetent, so why should we not suspect the story invented entirely?

JJC

Katherine Bard a Wausau Psychologist ....
Ms. Bard believes that our police departments provide sufficient protection...

Somebody should inform Ms. Bard that the Supreme Court ruled that the Police are under NO obligation to protect citizens.

Ms. Bard should change her first name to "Alice", that way she would feel right at home in "Wonderland".

M

McX

there is nothing to fear; the police are just minutes away, so dial 911 as you, a loved one, or just an innocent citizen lie dying on the street, and they will come...........eventually. the government is here to help you, the check is in the mail, and no you won't get pregnant (feel welcome to insert other famous lies here).

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
there is nothing to fear; the police are just minutes away, so dial 911 as you, a loved one, or just an innocent citizen lie dying on the street, and they will come...........eventually.

...& they'll figure out what to do after they get to you....eventually..

phred

Comment Post

My posted comment on WAOW's comment section for that story:

In 1998, 79% of the voters in the great state of Wisconsin voted Article 1 Section 25 into our state constitution. "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose".
Ms. Bard's fear of individuals protecting themselves is completely unfounded. If that fear was supported by facts, then the 48 states that allow concealed carry would have revoked it.
Besides, law abiding citizens of Wisconsin already have the right to carry a holstered handgun in most of the places that concealed carry might be possible in the future. The ability to defend yourself is already here. Calling 911 is not defending yourself. The police will come, but they will pick up the pieces.

johnny amish

there is nothing to fear; the police are just minutes away, so dial 911 as you, a loved one, or just an innocent citizen lie dying on the street, and they will come...........eventually. the government is here to help you, the check is in the mail, and no you won't get pregnant (feel welcome to insert other famous lies here).

What you talkin about Willis?

Last edited:
B

bhancock

Police response to my house has varied from 25-45 minutes. That is a heck of a long time to be entertaining unwanted guests.

FMJ45

Police response to my house has varied from 25-45 minutes. That is a heck of a long time to be entertaining unwanted guests.

I have to wonder why a response time of 45 min is needed? I live in a small township up nort, and am an EMT 1st responder, and our time to someone's call be it accident site or home, is about 12 minutes, and the ambulance from a nearby town is averaging 15 to 25 minutes. WTF? Heck, even with no police in our township, the county Sheriff is only a few minutes away.

How screwed up is that? Heck before the first pot of Tea was whistling I'd be knockin down the door to get in. Oh, and yes, I OC on site. I've had some interesting comments on it too. A medic tending to a patient with a sidearm.

I for a party of one 1st Responder will not let our local wolf packs take patients from me on my watch. We have a few very large numbered packs around here, and they're always on the prowl for easy takings and they refuse to learn the difference between a deer on the side of the road, and a bleeding human on the side of the road.

Conversations abound in our groups as to the validity of carrying. Until the scene is secured, there's always a possibility of scavenging predators. Even after a Sheriff arrives, traffic control or personnel control is more the norm for their duties, and many a time our patients are in the woods and out of reach by local law enforcement by at least 3 minutes even on site.

Ponder this you gun haters!
When you come to the nort-woods on vacation, get drunk, and crash your family van into a ditch or woods, who do you want by the side of your child, or even your family pet . . . a bear, a wolf, a coyote, or a volunteer OC 1st responder with a med kit?

The interesting thing about this, is that I volunteer as a 1st responder, and the rules of volunteers is just that . . . we don't have to take the calls.