Thread: Why to take your gun hiking.

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Why to take your gun hiking.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

Who would have shot the goat? (raises hand)

No, if you read the article, the hiker tried to get rid of the goat while the other two went ahead.

What this involved, it doesn't say. He was obviously too close to the wildlife. As is the case with most interactions.

Maybe a gun shot in this case might have made the goat run off. This goat became 'aggressive' maybe because of the hikers feeding them.

Its a shame that wildlife always pays the price when they come across dumb people.

I am willing to shoot anyone or thing (goats included) that threatens my life.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayd1981 View Post
    I am willing to shoot anyone or thing (goats included) that threatens my life.
    Me too, the goat's life was taken anyway, but why wait for the 'authorities', who else is it going to harm.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Me too, the goat's life was taken anyway, but why wait for the 'authorities', who else is it going to harm.

People always ask why I carry a gun ..... I always say: "Goat's scare me"

My wife would hate me but.....

Yeah, if he threatens my life Billy's gettin' dropped.

Although this does look like it might have been avoided.

I've gotta ask tho... in a similar situation, where you cap a critter in self defense outside of huntin' season, and it's deemed a good shoot... do ya get to keep the carcass?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJoe View Post
    No, if you read the article, the hiker tried to get rid of the goat while the other two went ahead.

What this involved, it doesn't say. He was obviously too close to the wildlife. As is the case with most interactions.

Maybe a gun shot in this case might have made the goat run off. This goat became 'aggressive' maybe because of the hikers feeding them.

Its a shame that wildlife always pays the price when they come across dumb people.
    Joe, I didn't mean shoot the goat in the first place, but after he gored the guy and wouldn't let people near him to give him first aid...

Those goats seem to be pretty passive anytime I've been close to them, but those horns aren't there for looks. Sounds like a case of a guy getting a little too complacent to a wild animal with large weapons on his head.

Stay out of the face of a wild animal, we all get along. If the animal gets into YOUR space, then drop him. Sounds like the mountain goat had a clean kill, I'm sure he thought his life was in danger.

Something tells me that when the man went to try and scare the goat away, the goat charged. Even if it was my fault for the initial attack, I'd much rather risk paying the fines than pay with my life.

My hiking comes by way of hunting. Shotgun, sidearm (additional protection), Machete (briar patches) and hunting knife. Bring it on Goat!

And to top this all off, goats are not indigenous to the area. Someone had a "brain fart" and thought it would be cute to add them to the animals that wander the Olympic Peninsula.

Add that to people feeding them and the whole mess is unfortunate.

Most places where Mountain Goats exist are extremely remote and don't see many hikers that try to feed them.
    Last edited by amlevin; 10-19-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"