• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why to take your gun hiking.

SeattleJoe

No, if you read the article, the hiker tried to get rid of the goat while the other two went ahead.

What this involved, it doesn't say. He was obviously too close to the wildlife. As is the case with most interactions.

Maybe a gun shot in this case might have made the goat run off. This goat became 'aggressive' maybe because of the hikers feeding them.

Its a shame that wildlife always pays the price when they come across dumb people. :(

Metalhead47

My wife would hate me but.....

Yeah, if he threatens my life Billy's gettin' dropped.

Although this does look like it might have been avoided.

I've gotta ask tho... in a similar situation, where you cap a critter in self defense outside of huntin' season, and it's deemed a good shoot... do ya get to keep the carcass?:eek:

trevorthebusdriver

No, if you read the article, the hiker tried to get rid of the goat while the other two went ahead.

What this involved, it doesn't say. He was obviously too close to the wildlife. As is the case with most interactions.

Maybe a gun shot in this case might have made the goat run off. This goat became 'aggressive' maybe because of the hikers feeding them.

Its a shame that wildlife always pays the price when they come across dumb people. :(

Joe, I didn't mean shoot the goat in the first place, but after he gored the guy and wouldn't let people near him to give him first aid...

skiingislife725

Those goats seem to be pretty passive anytime I've been close to them, but those horns aren't there for looks. Sounds like a case of a guy getting a little too complacent to a wild animal with large weapons on his head.

Stay out of the face of a wild animal, we all get along. If the animal gets into YOUR space, then drop him. Sounds like the mountain goat had a clean kill, I'm sure he thought his life was in danger.

onlurker

Something tells me that when the man went to try and scare the goat away, the goat charged. Even if it was my fault for the initial attack, I'd much rather risk paying the fines than pay with my life.

jbone

My hiking comes by way of hunting. Shotgun, sidearm (additional protection), Machete (briar patches) and hunting knife. Bring it on Goat!

amlevin

And to top this all off, goats are not indigenous to the area. Someone had a "brain fart" and thought it would be cute to add them to the animals that wander the Olympic Peninsula.

Add that to people feeding them and the whole mess is unfortunate.

Most places where Mountain Goats exist are extremely remote and don't see many hikers that try to feed them.

Last edited: