Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oral Arguments Monday, November 1, 2010

Oral Arguments Monday, November 1, 2010

In the case of DiGiacinto v. The Rector and Visitors of George Mason University oral arguments will be heard on Monday November 1, 2010 at the Virginia Supreme Court. There is no pre-scheduled time for cases to be heard. Seven cases will be heard that day with the arguments lasting 30 minutes for each case. Public seating is first come first serve and they do not allow admittance once arguments begin. The court begins at 9:00am and people are expected to be seated before that time.

http://www.virginia1774.org/GMULawsuit.html

Another round of rubbing totems, incanting spells, and otherwise sending good wishes your way.

stay safe.

so is it not important enough for slaying of chickens and goats?

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    so is it not important enough for slaying of chickens and goats?
    "incanting spells" cannot be accomplished without entrails. Dumb amatuers have to have everything spelled out for them. [Yes, that's a bad pun.]

stay safe.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    "incanting spells" cannot be accomplished without entrails. Dumb amatuers have to have everything spelled out for them. [Yes, that's a bad pun.]

stay safe.
    SKIDMARK! didn't we just have a conversation on another thread about my wording? Can you imagine what the Anti's could do with this???? ......... Just kidding
    HOOAH?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 25sierraman View Post
    SKIDMARK! didn't we just have a conversation on another thread about my wording? Can you imagine what the Anti's could do with this???? ......... Just kidding
    This thread (his post) was before the other, not after the other. Gotta keep the Skid in proper relationship to the horse.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

stay safe.
    I'm not a witch I'm not a witch!

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    This would be the part of the Monty Python skit where we try to figure out if you weigh more than a duck...

Remember those denials if you ever decide to run for political office. LOL
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    This would be the part of the Monty Python skit where we try to figure out if you weigh more than a duck...
    LOL
    "If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood."
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/mphg/mphg.htm

Question is how will the judge weigh-in?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Back on thread -

Today is Monday November 1st and oral arguments were to commence on the case of DiGiacinto v. The Rector and Visitors of George Mason University.

Any word?

Oral Arguments went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginiaplanter View Post
    Oral Arguments went well.
    Details? A hint? Maybe a summary instead of merely a hint? Inquiring minds want to know.

But in the meantime - glad to hear that things went well. Breath is appropriately bated in anticipation of a ruling.

stay safe.

Replying to my own question - a summary here: http://www.gunleaders.com/blog/2010/...e-court-today/

stay safe.

Banned
    Replying to my own question - a summary here: http://www.gunleaders.com/blog/2010/...e-court-today/

stay safe.
    pssst, skidmark. You're talking to yourself again.

On a serious note, thanks for the link. Good read. I know the author has a dog in the fight, but, if what he posted is an accurate representation of the hearing, I think a good outcome is on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Good read. I know the author has a dog in the fight, but, if what he posted is an accurate representation of the hearing, I think a good outcome is on the horizon.
    IMHO the state's argument certainly sounds weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    IMHO the state's argument certainly sounds weak.
    Disagree. "weak" seems to imply that they have some modicum of viability, applicability, or usefulness other than filling up empty space. All I read was "But we did this! We have to be allowed to get away with it or we'll look stupid." Oh! And, "it's for the children!" except that they apparently abandoned that argument somewhere between the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court. Woner why.

stay safe.

Wow. I've been so out of the loop on this--it's really embarrassing.

By any chance, does the donate link at the bottom of http://www.virginia1774.org/GMULawsuit.html go to a legal fund supporting DiGiancinto?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by CPerdue View Post
    Wow. I've been so out of the loop on this--it's really embarrassing.

By any chance, does the donate link at the bottom of http://www.virginia1774.org/GMULawsuit.html go to a legal fund supporting DiGiancinto?

C.
    Yes it does.

Any new word? I thought the case eneded on the 5th, maybe I got wrong info.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Thanks for the link.

While the Commonwealth's argument sounds like it was a bit scattered, it was coherent enough to put to rest any notion that Cuccinelli was not "in it to win it" in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donkey View Post
    Thanks for the link.

While the Commonwealth's argument sounds like it was a bit scattered, it was coherent enough to put to rest any notion that Cuccinelli was not "in it to win it" in this case.
    Not that I'm actually so in support of him that I would defend him out of hand, but Cuccinelli was in this one only by name, as the AG is the office that defends the Commonwealth against all comers.

There is/was good strategic reason for the AG himself not to appear before the VA Supreme Court to argue a weak and (probably, hopefully) losing case. Send the henchmen - love how http://www.gunleaders.com/ used that term - in to take the hit for the team. As I said before, it sounded like some serious flailing around trying to catch hold of ant branch still available, and some obvious abandoning of what were their strongest arguments at previous hearings.

I'll not be holding my breath for any decision, but I'm feeling more positive than negative about the outcome.

stay safe.

Not that I'm actually so in support of him that I would defend him out of hand, but Cuccinelli was in this one only by name, as the AG is the office that defends the Commonwealth against all comers.

There is/was good strategic reason for the AG himself not to appear before the VA Supreme Court to argue a weak and (probably, hopefully) losing case. Send the henchmen - love how http://www.gunleaders.com/ used that term - in to take the hit for the team. As I said before, it sounded like some serious flailing around trying to catch hold of ant branch still available, and some obvious abandoning of what were their strongest arguments at previous hearings.

I'll not be holding my breath for any decision, but I'm feeling more positive than negative about the outcome.

stay safe.
    +1 to this not so new line of reasoning and desired conclusion.

stay safe.
    Well . . .

Cuccinelli also "sent the henchman" to argue regarding the Constitutionality of the Health Care Law. Don't think that was because he was expecting them to "take a hit for the team."

I wonder who they sent ... I think it may have been one of my former law clerks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donkey View Post
    I wonder who they sent ... I think it may have been one of my former law clerks.
    From the Argument Docket:

Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II, Attorney General; Charles E. James, Jr., Chief Deputy Attorney General; E. Duncan Getchell, Jr., State Solicitor General; Wesley G. Russell, Jr., Deputy Attorney General; Stephen R. McCullough, Senior Appellate Counsel; David G. Drummey, Assistant Attorney General
    Recognize anybody?

Recognize anybody?
    Yes. He's on there. Which one did the argument?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast