• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks may start serving beer and wine.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Saw on the Today show this morning that the original Starbucks is serving beer and wine after 4:00 PM. I'm sure this will affect may OCers that are not allowed to have firearms in places that serve alcohol.

This is only a test market so it will depend on the business model and how well it takes off.

Jack House

If their beer and wine prices are as badly inflated as are their 'coffee' prices then know that I will help the business model change fail. Caveat emptor
Except that you're not their target consumer. Kids are, and the people that were originally their target consumer are now becoming of age to purchase and drink alcohol.

My point? They probably wont fail.

Dreamer

Yet another reason to get the NC "restaurant ban" taken off the books...

I'll be stopping by my local Starbucks tomorrow to let them know that they will lose my business if they start serving alcohol, and to let them know that they might consider contacting the Legislature as a NC business that wants the Restaurant Ban overturned.

http://www.illwillpress.com/sml.html

http://www.illwillpress.com/coffeehouse.html

Last edited:

aadvark

The ONLY thing that this would effect is States that BAN Firearms in places where Alcohol is Served for Consumption-on-premises.

Most States do not have such Prohibitions, BUT there are a few States that still have such Prohibitions.

*** The States that have such Prohibitions are: 1. Washington (in an area designed for Persons over 21 ONLY), 2. Montana (Concealed Carry Banned, Open Carry OK), 3. North Dakota, 4. Wisconsin (HandGuns Banned, LongGuns OK), 5. New Mexico, 6. Arizona (Open Carry Banned, Concealed Carry OK with exceptions), 7. Louisiana, 8. Kentucky (Loaded Firearms Illegal, Unloaded OK), 9. Maine (unless you are a 'Special Investigator'), 10. South Carolina, 11. North Carolina, 12. Ohio (Legislation to change this is pending), 13. Illinois, 14. Alaska (Concealed Carry OK as long as not Drinking Alcohol), 15. Texas (unless with a Texas CCW, that is not a Bar). ***

There may be other States with Prohibitions though.

*** Done strictly of off Memory. ***

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The ONLY thing that this would effect is States that BAN Firearms in places where Alcohol is Served for Consumption-on-premises.

Most States do not have such Prohibitions, BUT there are a few States that still have such Prohibitions.

*** The States that have such Prohibitions are: 1. Washington (in an area designed for Persons over 21 ONLY), 2. Montana (Concealed Carry Banned, Open Carry OK), 3. North Dakota, 4. Wisconsin (HandGuns Banned, LongGuns OK), 5. New Mexico, 6. Arizona (Open Carry Banned, Concealed Carry OK with exceptions), 7. Louisiana, 8. Kentucky (Loaded Firearms Illegal, Unloaded OK), 9. Maine (unless you are a 'Special Investigator'), 10. South Carolina, 11. North Carolina, 12. Ohio (Legislation to change this is pending), 13. Illinois, 14. Alaska (Concealed Carry OK as long as not Drinking Alcohol), 15. Texas (unless with a Texas CCW, that is not a Bar). ***

There may be other States with Prohibitions though.

*** Done strictly of off Memory. ***
Michigan is one. You can CC if you have a CPL and sales of alcohol is not the primary source of income. Can OC with CPL in a bar. Can not OC or possess firearms in any place with any type of liquor license unless you have a CPL, this includes gas stations, stores, etc. that sell beer or wine or stronger. You can possess a firearm if you are the owner or have permission from the agent or his owner.

So, still restrictive in Michigan.

Bailenforcer

Maybe it's a test market to have it both ways...

1. claim to allow carry.
2. appease the left by making carry impossible or near impossible......

I smell a test rat here. This would in many states end open carry... I am I wrong?

Saw on the Today show this morning that the original Starbucks is serving beer and wine after 4:00 PM. I'm sure this will affect may OCers that are not allowed to have firearms in places that serve alcohol.

This is only a test market so it will depend on the business model and how well it takes off.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Jack House

15. Texas (unless with a Texas CCW, that is not a Bar).
Only if they derive 51% or more of their revenue from the sale of alcohol will you be prohibited from carrying. I doubt they will though, even if it's a huge success. Their number one product will likely always be coffee.

Dreamer

Their number one product will likely always be coffee.

Actually, their number one product is a false sense of privilege, status and elitism, based in their oh-so-trendy cups and annoyingly faux-sophisticated attitudes of their painfully nonchalant barristas.

The coffee is just a vehicle they use to get otherwise rational people to pay for being demeaned, abused, subjugated, and herded like sheep.

WTF does "venté" mean, anyway?...

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

That'd make it Starbucks Saloon. Won't matter the percentage of income; the fact that they do it would be enough to ban OC in AZ and other places. I really dunno why any of us would want to frequent 'Bucks anyway. The types that hang around those joints strike me as Left of Lenin. All that 'frappichino mochashizzleframmisspeek' is unAmerican. Say it in English. I never eat anything I can't pronounce anyway.

KBCraig

Yet another reason to get the NC "restaurant ban" taken off the books...

I'll be stopping by my local Starbucks tomorrow to let them know that they will lose my business if they start serving alcohol, and to let them know that they might consider contacting the Legislature as a NC business that wants the Restaurant Ban overturned.
Are you wording it as if you object to them selling alcohol? Or making it clear that the state won't let you be a customer any longer?

sraacke

This sucks. Not that I've ever set foot in a Starbucks but that the Louisiana ban on carry where alcohol is served for consumption would add yet another establishment to our No Guns list. I am pushing for the Louisiana Shoooting Association to address this ban in up coming legislative sessions. We need to get this off our books.

Jack House

This sucks. Not that I've ever set foot in a Starbucks but that the Louisiana ban on carry where alcohol is served for consumption would add yet another establishment to our No Guns list. I am pushing for the Louisiana Shoooting Association to address this ban in up coming legislative sessions. We need to get this off our books.
It's such a stupid law. And the arguments that support such prohibitions are always so freaking weak and utterly lack any form of logic whatsoever.

"People shouldn't be allowed in bars with guns because they'll get drunk and shoot the place up!"

"But getting drunk and carrying and shooting people are very much illegal!"

"So? Bad guys don't obey laws!

"But they're going to obey the law that says they can't enter bars with a gun?"
2010-10-10_150142.png

Alexcabbie

That'd make it Starbucks Saloon. Won't matter the percentage of income; the fact that they do it would be enough to ban OC in AZ and other places. I really dunno why any of us would want to frequent 'Bucks anyway. The types that hang around those joints strike me as Left of Lenin. All that 'frappichino mochashizzleframmisspeek' is unAmerican. Say it in English. I never eat anything I can't pronounce anyway.

Congrats on yer best avatar yet, Reb. It oughtta be considered for the official flag of the TEA party.

Funny, but remember Trudeau's characters objecting to OC in Starbucks because "This isn't a saloon?"

How much does anyone wanna bet they will still allow Virginia OC (No drinking concealed, OC drinking OK, must remain sober) rules? Boy, can't you see Doonesbury protesting because it IS a saloon?

There's gotta be a mew word for this. "Shootin' Irony"??:cool:

ooghost1oo

The real solution is to challenge the laws (and their Constitutionality) in your individual states that infringe upon your right to bear arms in places that serve alcohol. Freedom goes all the way--it should be up to the business owners, not the government.

Last edited: