Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Starbucks selling beer i wine in original store.

  1. #1
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Starbucks selling beer i wine in original store.

    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    If it becomes more wide spread, I am confident that most in Michigan will not have liquor licenses due to the insane cost of getting one in Michigan. That most gas stations here don't sell alcohol is rather solid proof of the over bearing state influence in alcohol sales.

    I am sure some might get the licenses, but I doubt that many want that kind of atmosphere. I study at Starbucks sometimes, and in a number of them I go to, it is a common thing. You go there to get cranked on coffee, then shove your face into a book or laptop. Others want a quiet place to have casual business meetings, or meet up with friends. I can imagine that it would be appropriate at some locations for people to get **** faced, but most I don't think would want that, because it could easily offend their regulars.

    However, I do give them credit, because in the right markets at the right locations, it will probably end up being a very protifable idea.
    Last edited by Michigander; 10-19-2010 at 12:28 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  3. #3
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    If it becomes more wide spread, I am confident that most in Michigan will not have liquor licenses due to the insane cost of getting one in Michigan. That most gas stations here don't sell alcohol is rather solid proof of the over bearing state influence in alcohol sales.

    I am sure some might get the licenses, but I doubt that many want that kind of atmosphere. I study at Starbucks sometimes, and in a number of them I go to, it is a common thing. You go there to get cranked on coffee, then shove your face into a book or laptop. Others want a quiet place to have casual business meetings, or meet up with friends. I can imagine that it would be appropriate at some locations for people to get **** faced, but most I don't think would want that, because it could easily offend their regulars.

    However, I do give them credit, because in the right markets at the right locations, it will probably end up being a very protifable idea.
    Not to change the subject, but is that why NO gas stations around me sell beer? I thought wayne has a law banning alcohol in gas stations, but in monroe and the surrounding area is is almost impossible to find beer in a gas station and we don't have a law against it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    Not to change the subject, but is that why NO gas stations around me sell beer? I thought wayne has a law banning alcohol in gas stations, but in monroe and the surrounding area is is almost impossible to find beer in a gas station and we don't have a law against it.
    Not a legal issue, just a profit vs loss issue, as far as I know. And I believe there are a fairly large number of gas stations in Wayne County which sell alcohol.

    I don't drink but I consider it just another nagging part of Michigan's oppressive government.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Off the top of my head I can't think of a single gas station/convenience store in my area that doesn't sell beer.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  6. #6
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    Up where I live nearly all gas stations sell beer and even hard alcohol. But up here alcoholism is a way of life. if I said one third of the people up here are alcoholics I would be accused of down playing the problem. Just listening to the Police radio is enough to convince anyone it's a right of passage lol.




    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    If it becomes more wide spread, I am confident that most in Michigan will not have liquor licenses due to the insane cost of getting one in Michigan. That most gas stations here don't sell alcohol is rather solid proof of the over bearing state influence in alcohol sales.

    I am sure some might get the licenses, but I doubt that many want that kind of atmosphere. I study at Starbucks sometimes, and in a number of them I go to, it is a common thing. You go there to get cranked on coffee, then shove your face into a book or laptop. Others want a quiet place to have casual business meetings, or meet up with friends. I can imagine that it would be appropriate at some locations for people to get **** faced, but most I don't think would want that, because it could easily offend their regulars.

    However, I do give them credit, because in the right markets at the right locations, it will probably end up being a very protifable idea.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    The rural areas and tourist areas (sometimes the same thing) definitely tend to sell more alcohol. But they also sell a lot of other things that urban gas stations don't. Shotgun shells, coleman white gas, and a lot of other things you wouldn't expect a gas station to always have. I think this can be explained not only by alcoholism and tourists wanting to get drunk, but also by the fact that many rural areas don't have grocery stores and department stores within short driving distance. Supply and demand with idiotic government influence is the cherished way of life for the American consumer. (Anyone who disagrees should count the calories they get from corn syrup)

    In going to the Mejers in Cadillac, I've routinely seen farmers and other hillbilly types go and buy what looked like a 2 month supply of the groceries they weren't making themselves, because it's a big drive they don't feel like making often.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    526

  9. #9
    Regular Member kryptonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    248
    guess i picked a bad time to quit drinking. gas stations more and more selling beer. big boy restaurant has a bar (howell) and now smoking banned in bars. where was all this when i was drinking? did my formative years in texas and was LEO there. anybody could get a liquor license there. a day care could if they wanted to. hair salons and western wear stores served it free to customers. until the mid 80's you could drink and drive just not be intoxicated. LEO saw people driving with beer all day. probably best for OC anyway.

  10. #10
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    guess i picked a bad time to quit drinking. gas stations more and more selling beer. big boy restaurant has a bar (howell) and now smoking banned in bars. where was all this when i was drinking? did my formative years in texas and was LEO there. anybody could get a liquor license there. a day care could if they wanted to. hair salons and western wear stores served it free to customers. until the mid 80's you could drink and drive just not be intoxicated. LEO saw people driving with beer all day. probably best for OC anyway.
    Never a bad time to quit drinking if it causes issues for you.

    IIRC, Michigan used to have a regulation that the owner of a gas station cannot also hold a MI Liquor License (Beer and Wine at least). When my brother had a Gas Station/Party Store, the Gas Portion of the Business had to be owned by a separate CORP from the CORP that owned the Party Store (even had a separate CORP from those 2 that owned the Land/Buildings).

  11. #11
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    No really the alcoholism is off the hook around here. Shopping at Walmart or Meijers proves that with people loading a shopping cart with hot pockets frozen pizza and lots of beer. And I mean lots. Over the years I have come to know many and no matter the age group of social economic background the alcoholism is bad and they all use the same excuse. "there's not much to do up here".


    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    The rural areas and tourist areas (sometimes the same thing) definitely tend to sell more alcohol. But they also sell a lot of other things that urban gas stations don't. Shotgun shells, coleman white gas, and a lot of other things you wouldn't expect a gas station to always have. I think this can be explained not only by alcoholism and tourists wanting to get drunk, but also by the fact that many rural areas don't have grocery stores and department stores within short driving distance. Supply and demand with idiotic government influence is the cherished way of life for the American consumer. (Anyone who disagrees should count the calories they get from corn syrup)

    In going to the Mejers in Cadillac, I've routinely seen farmers and other hillbilly types go and buy what looked like a 2 month supply of the groceries they weren't making themselves, because it's a big drive they don't feel like making often.
    Last edited by Bailenforcer; 10-20-2010 at 02:01 AM.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  12. #12
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Never a bad time to quit drinking if it causes issues for you.

    IIRC, Michigan used to have a regulation that the owner of a gas station cannot also hold a MI Liquor License (Beer and Wine at least). When my brother had a Gas Station/Party Store, the Gas Portion of the Business had to be owned by a separate CORP from the CORP that owned the Party Store (even had a separate CORP from those 2 that owned the Land/Buildings).
    I think that they allow it now by permit... I DO know that in order to sell if you have gas pumps an additional "permit" is added on to the liquor license. I am pretty sure that this costs more, too.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  13. #13
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Never a bad time to quit drinking if it causes issues for you.

    IIRC, Michigan used to have a regulation that the owner of a gas station cannot also hold a MI Liquor License (Beer and Wine at least). When my brother had a Gas Station/Party Store, the Gas Portion of the Business had to be owned by a separate CORP from the CORP that owned the Party Store (even had a separate CORP from those 2 that owned the Land/Buildings).
    If they are owned by a separate corporation, would the "licensed premises" be any area owned by the corporation holding the liquor license and would the area around the gas pumps, owned by another corporation, be open to OC by non-cpl holders??
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  14. #14
    Regular Member KittyBomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    The rural areas and tourist areas (sometimes the same thing) definitely tend to sell more alcohol.
    The gas stations in Berkley sell alcohol.
    Not rural and definitely not a tourist type area.

  15. #15
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    If they are owned by a separate corporation, would the "licensed premises" be any area owned by the corporation holding the liquor license and would the area around the gas pumps, owned by another corporation, be open to OC by non-cpl holders??
    Sorry, I did not see your post. My humble apologies!

    In the case I was discussing, the following applied (for proper background):

    1. A Partnership owned the property.

    2. One Corporation rented the property that contained the Gas Station Area (all equipment owned by the Corporation).

    3. Another Corporation rented the property that contained the Party Store Building, which included the Front and Side Parking Areas (all equipment owned by the Corporation).

    I believe that the answer to both questions would be yes in the case above.

  16. #16
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Sorry, I did not see your post. My humble apologies!

    In the case I was discussing, the following applied (for proper background):

    1. A Partnership owned the property.

    2. One Corporation rented the property that contained the Gas Station Area (all equipment owned by the Corporation).

    3. Another Corporation rented the property that contained the Party Store Building, which included the Front and Side Parking Areas (all equipment owned by the Corporation).

    I believe that the answer to both questions would be yes in the case above.

    Hmmm. I think I may have found a way to access information regarding which entities may have just such a legal arrangement. I'm starting to see some possibilities here I may have to think about this...
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  17. #17
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyBomb View Post
    The gas stations in Berkley sell alcohol.
    Not rural and definitely not a tourist type area.

    welcome kitty bomb! good to have you on board here at OCDO!

  18. #18
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    my cat saw your bomb!

  19. #19
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    my cat saw your bomb!
    Completely off topic but I did a Google image search the other day for a safariland 6337 holster with a 1911 in it and one of the pics that came up was your cat-avatar.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  20. #20
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    yes indeed my cat avatar is the bomb!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

    Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

  21. #21
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Only coffee shop I've ever been in was Biggby's (used to be Beaner's), OC'd in the Mason store with no problem.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Near Lapeer (Hadley), Michigan, USA
    Posts
    932
    slightly ot, but related to an above post.... i was at a gun auction in lapeer with a buddy of mine who lives up in the UP. I was thinking about bidding on a 22 mag rifle, and he tried to talk me out of it. His argument is that mag ammo can be expensive and difficult to find, whereas" you can buy boxes of .22 ammo at any gas station"

    I laughed and said maybe where you are from, but not around here.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

    I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •