• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks selling beer i wine in original store.

Michigander

If it becomes more wide spread, I am confident that most in Michigan will not have liquor licenses due to the insane cost of getting one in Michigan. That most gas stations here don't sell alcohol is rather solid proof of the over bearing state influence in alcohol sales.

I am sure some might get the licenses, but I doubt that many want that kind of atmosphere. I study at Starbucks sometimes, and in a number of them I go to, it is a common thing. You go there to get cranked on coffee, then shove your face into a book or laptop. Others want a quiet place to have casual business meetings, or meet up with friends. I can imagine that it would be appropriate at some locations for people to get **** faced, but most I don't think would want that, because it could easily offend their regulars.

However, I do give them credit, because in the right markets at the right locations, it will probably end up being a very protifable idea.

Last edited:

detroit_fan

If it becomes more wide spread, I am confident that most in Michigan will not have liquor licenses due to the insane cost of getting one in Michigan. That most gas stations here don't sell alcohol is rather solid proof of the over bearing state influence in alcohol sales.

I am sure some might get the licenses, but I doubt that many want that kind of atmosphere. I study at Starbucks sometimes, and in a number of them I go to, it is a common thing. You go there to get cranked on coffee, then shove your face into a book or laptop. Others want a quiet place to have casual business meetings, or meet up with friends. I can imagine that it would be appropriate at some locations for people to get **** faced, but most I don't think would want that, because it could easily offend their regulars.

However, I do give them credit, because in the right markets at the right locations, it will probably end up being a very protifable idea.

Not to change the subject, but is that why NO gas stations around me sell beer? I thought wayne has a law banning alcohol in gas stations, but in monroe and the surrounding area is is almost impossible to find beer in a gas station and we don't have a law against it.

Michigander

Not to change the subject, but is that why NO gas stations around me sell beer? I thought wayne has a law banning alcohol in gas stations, but in monroe and the surrounding area is is almost impossible to find beer in a gas station and we don't have a law against it.

Not a legal issue, just a profit vs loss issue, as far as I know. And I believe there are a fairly large number of gas stations in Wayne County which sell alcohol.

I don't drink but I consider it just another nagging part of Michigan's oppressive government.

Bailenforcer

Up where I live nearly all gas stations sell beer and even hard alcohol. But up here alcoholism is a way of life. if I said one third of the people up here are alcoholics I would be accused of down playing the problem. Just listening to the Police radio is enough to convince anyone it's a right of passage lol.

Michigander

The rural areas and tourist areas (sometimes the same thing) definitely tend to sell more alcohol. But they also sell a lot of other things that urban gas stations don't. Shotgun shells, coleman white gas, and a lot of other things you wouldn't expect a gas station to always have. I think this can be explained not only by alcoholism and tourists wanting to get drunk, but also by the fact that many rural areas don't have grocery stores and department stores within short driving distance. Supply and demand with idiotic government influence is the cherished way of life for the American consumer. (Anyone who disagrees should count the calories they get from corn syrup)

In going to the Mejers in Cadillac, I've routinely seen farmers and other hillbilly types go and buy what looked like a 2 month supply of the groceries they weren't making themselves, because it's a big drive they don't feel like making often.

kryptonian

guess i picked a bad time to quit drinking. gas stations more and more selling beer. big boy restaurant has a bar (howell) and now smoking banned in bars. where was all this when i was drinking? did my formative years in texas and was LEO there. anybody could get a liquor license there. a day care could if they wanted to. hair salons and western wear stores served it free to customers. until the mid 80's you could drink and drive just not be intoxicated. LEO saw people driving with beer all day. probably best for OC anyway.

PDinDetroit

guess i picked a bad time to quit drinking. gas stations more and more selling beer. big boy restaurant has a bar (howell) and now smoking banned in bars. where was all this when i was drinking? did my formative years in texas and was LEO there. anybody could get a liquor license there. a day care could if they wanted to. hair salons and western wear stores served it free to customers. until the mid 80's you could drink and drive just not be intoxicated. LEO saw people driving with beer all day. probably best for OC anyway.

Never a bad time to quit drinking if it causes issues for you.

IIRC, Michigan used to have a regulation that the owner of a gas station cannot also hold a MI Liquor License (Beer and Wine at least). When my brother had a Gas Station/Party Store, the Gas Portion of the Business had to be owned by a separate CORP from the CORP that owned the Party Store (even had a separate CORP from those 2 that owned the Land/Buildings).

Bailenforcer

No really the alcoholism is off the hook around here. Shopping at Walmart or Meijers proves that with people loading a shopping cart with hot pockets frozen pizza and lots of beer. And I mean lots. Over the years I have come to know many and no matter the age group of social economic background the alcoholism is bad and they all use the same excuse. "there's not much to do up here".

The rural areas and tourist areas (sometimes the same thing) definitely tend to sell more alcohol. But they also sell a lot of other things that urban gas stations don't. Shotgun shells, coleman white gas, and a lot of other things you wouldn't expect a gas station to always have. I think this can be explained not only by alcoholism and tourists wanting to get drunk, but also by the fact that many rural areas don't have grocery stores and department stores within short driving distance. Supply and demand with idiotic government influence is the cherished way of life for the American consumer. (Anyone who disagrees should count the calories they get from corn syrup)

In going to the Mejers in Cadillac, I've routinely seen farmers and other hillbilly types go and buy what looked like a 2 month supply of the groceries they weren't making themselves, because it's a big drive they don't feel like making often.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

IIRC, Michigan used to have a regulation that the owner of a gas station cannot also hold a MI Liquor License (Beer and Wine at least). When my brother had a Gas Station/Party Store, the Gas Portion of the Business had to be owned by a separate CORP from the CORP that owned the Party Store (even had a separate CORP from those 2 that owned the Land/Buildings).

I think that they allow it now by permit... I DO know that in order to sell if you have gas pumps an additional "permit" is added on to the liquor license. I am pretty sure that this costs more, too.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

If they are owned by a separate corporation, would the "licensed premises" be any area owned by the corporation holding the liquor license and would the area around the gas pumps, owned by another corporation, be open to OC by non-cpl holders??

PDinDetroit

If they are owned by a separate corporation, would the "licensed premises" be any area owned by the corporation holding the liquor license and would the area around the gas pumps, owned by another corporation, be open to OC by non-cpl holders??

Sorry, I did not see your post. My humble apologies!

In the case I was discussing, the following applied (for proper background):

1. A Partnership owned the property.

2. One Corporation rented the property that contained the Gas Station Area (all equipment owned by the Corporation).

3. Another Corporation rented the property that contained the Party Store Building, which included the Front and Side Parking Areas (all equipment owned by the Corporation).

I believe that the answer to both questions would be yes in the case above.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Sorry, I did not see your post. My humble apologies!

In the case I was discussing, the following applied (for proper background):

1. A Partnership owned the property.

2. One Corporation rented the property that contained the Gas Station Area (all equipment owned by the Corporation).

3. Another Corporation rented the property that contained the Party Store Building, which included the Front and Side Parking Areas (all equipment owned by the Corporation).

I believe that the answer to both questions would be yes in the case above.

Hmmm. I think I may have found a way to access information regarding which entities may have just such a legal arrangement. I'm starting to see some possibilities here :) I may have to think about this...