• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Gonna get me my first gun!

tannerwaterbury

Hey everyone, just thought I'd let ya know that today I am going to get my first handgun ever. In all honesty, this would be the first firearm I would ever own, so I am kinda nervous and excited at the same time. While we are on the subject of new handguns, anybody got some good recommendations on what to get?

tombrewster421

There's lots of good guns out there. As far as simple, easy to use, and reliable goes; you can't get much better than a Glock. But it depends on what's important to you. If you really want something that looks cool then I would suggest going to a gun show like WAC at the Puyallup fair grounds this weekend. Lots more variety to look at when you go to a show versus a gun shop.

tannerwaterbury

There's lots of good guns out there. As far as simple, easy to use, and reliable goes; you can't get much better than a Glock. But it depends on what's important to you. If you really want something that looks cool then I would suggest going to a gun show like WAC at the Puyallup fair grounds this weekend. Lots more variety to look at when you go to a show versus a gun shop.

Range meet?

To be honest, style isn't important to me, its more reliability and comfort that counts. As with the Safety training course, I think that would be wise to do as well, seeing as how I barely know how to operate a pistol (I've shot a revolver once that a friend owned). And Aryk, I would totally love to do a range meet, although my problem is I don't drive. Luckily my family has a couple places out in the wild where I could practice and shoot some targets, plus its free! It might be possible to ask them if we could use the space out there to set up some targets and shoot. Well wish me luck, I'm headed to the shop right now. :)

joejoejoe

To be honest, style isn't important to me, its more reliability and comfort that counts. As with the Safety training course, I think that would be wise to do as well, seeing as how I barely know how to operate a pistol (I've shot a revolver once that a friend owned). And Aryk, I would totally love to do a range meet, although my problem is I don't drive. Luckily my family has a couple places out in the wild where I could practice and shoot some targets, plus its free! It might be possible to ask them if we could use the space out there to set up some targets and shoot. Well wish me luck, I'm headed to the shop right now. :)

Kelso is not too far from Vancouver. I would be willing to come out to your family's property and shoot up stuff! I can even pick you up.

With that being said, before you buy your gun consider a few things:

1) Are you planning on opening carrying it MORE than you are going to conceal carry it?
2) What are some of your safety concerns about a gun?
3) What is your price range?
4) What all do you intend you might be shooting? Bears? People?
5) How proficient are you with guns?

Some of those questions may help you when picking out a gun. I chose my revolver for a few reasons.

- Safety is not pulling the trigger
- It's a 3.5lb trigger, so a toddler can't pull it. Heck, some girls I know can't pull it!
- It's a point a shoot gun (no cocking)
- The bullet shells stay in the gun
- It carries .357 and .38 special, so I can defend against animals and people
- I got spurless hammer, so when I go to draw my weapon, it does not snag on anything
- It is small enough to conceal, but big enough to not look too weird open carry
- It's a 5 round revolver, so it really doesn't look like I am going to shoot the place up
- It's a revolver, so the business end of it clearly means... business
- If you have a misfire, keep pulling the trigger!

Downsides

- I would love a gun that is larger (I tend to OC more now than I conceal, and I think it's a smidge too tiny for OC)
- I would love a gun with more ammo. The revolver is good for one bad guy (or 5 if I get better)
- The reloading is a killer. I would love to just drop the mag and put a fresh one in (They do have speed reloaders, but I would still enjoy a mag)
- Because of the heavy trigger, the kickback on the gun is freaking insane. This makes aiming and long distance accuracy harder than I want. That being said, if the person is more than 20 ft. from you, you can probably run.
- It's a .357, so it is very loud. I have shot some nice 9mm's that don't blow my ear drums.
- It has a 2 inch barrel, so the long range accuracy is poor

Ultimately, I have shot my revolver quite a few times, so I am pretty familiar with it. Even with it's downs, I feel confident with it as a self-defense weapon. I will, however, likely get a new gun for public open carry and try to keep my revolver as a home defense or a concealed backup. If you let us know what your primary purpose for a gun is, or maybe answer those questions above, we can help you better find a style or brand of weapon that will fit.

Welcome to the intelligent, responsible, protecting world of open carry!

Joe~

jbone

Any gun shows in you area? A great place to see a hord of different guns.

amlevin

There will be tons of suggestions. For me, the best way is to go and look, touch, feel, ask questions, and then go out and find a range that rents the one(s) that fit your hand and felt best TO YOU.

Once you've shot a couple of different pistols then make a decision. The WORST way to make a decision is to do so totally on price. It's OK if your final choices have a big spread in price but don't just go "buy something" that fits the immediate budget. If you need to save a week or two in order to get the one you really like it will pay over time.

There are many "Names" out there that make fine guns. The ultimate goal is to find one that is best for you, not all those that are offering suggestions. You buy the right handgun and you'll be passing it down to your kids. Buy the wrong one and you'll either be trying to sell it in a year or two or you won't even carry it.

Good hunting and be patient.

Jayd1981

Try as many different guns as possible. Its all a personal preference. I OC my XD45 and love it, but thats just my preference. Shoot and handle as many as it takes until one just feels right for you.

tannerwaterbury

Well I finally purchased my gun, a Hi Point .380 ACP, also got a holster and 100 380 auto rounds. I have to wait 5 days to get it, but I am actually happy I purchased it. I was looking to get a .22, but it was just out of my price range. Hopefully I will get a higher caliber handgun in the near future. Anyways, I will post pics ASAP when I receive the gun.

amlevin

Well I finally purchased my gun, a Hi Point .380 ACP, also got a holster and 100 380 auto rounds. I have to wait 5 days to get it, but I am actually happy I purchased it. I was looking to get a .22, but it was just out of my price range. Hopefully I will get a higher caliber handgun in the near future. Anyways, I will post pics ASAP when I receive the gun.

It will most likely look like this:

380_polymer.jpg

tombrewster421

Unless you get a Sig. :lol:

I was speaking mostly of simplicity. No safety to turn off before firing. I wasn't comfortable mentioning other brands just because I'm not sure of all that don't have a manual safety. I know the Smith & Wesson M&P but thats about it.

bwboley

Activist Member
My first gun that i carry now is a hi point c9 9mm 150 dollar gun that only jamed 2 with cheap reload no problems with fed ammo from wal mart shot lots of rounds im happy i bought it well worth the 150. and no quiestions asked warranty.
heres what i think it dont matter if you need a gun it dont matter if its 900 bucks or 100 or pink or black if you need a gun its a gun for defence.

that being said im buying a glock 17 just because i love the simpleness of it and it fires great and if somthing needs replaced like a spring its easy

the xd i held at the gun show i kinda like them but they felt like my hi point realy top heavy
0617102200.jpg

Last edited: