• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry for archery season

koja1962

does anyone know if you can open carry during archery season? i was stoped by a game warden the second day of the season. he told me i can"t open carry so i told him about 790.0 he called another leo and the leo said i could o.c. as long as i had a c.c. permit o.k. i have that no problem. the very next day another leo stoped me almost drew down on me then told me under no way was i to o.c. during archery season i told him what the leo said the day before and he didn't want to here it. who is right can anyone help me. koja1962

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
790.25 (3)(h) allows open carry while hunting, camping, or fishing. As long as you are legally hunting, or going to and from, you can open carry under current Florida law.

brboyer

Well...it might depend on where you are hunting. There is some discussion on whether FWC can regulate firearms possession on property they control. As they are a separate Constitutionally created agency - Florida firearm statutes may not apply on their land.

We need some good case law to sort this out.

For what it's worth, I open and conceal carry while hunting, period!

I hate MD

From FWC web site " ASK FWC"

Concealed firearms on wildlife management areas.

Question
Can I carry a concealed firearm, if I have the proper permit, on wildlife management areas? What about during non-hunting periods or during archery and muzzleloading gun seasons?

Answer
If you hold a valid concealed weapons permit, you may carry a handgun (as long as it remains concealed), during any time of the year on all wildlife management areas except for Camp Blanding, Eglin, Tyndall Air Force Base, Avon Park, Big Cypress, St. Marks, St. Vincent Island, Lower Suwannee, Lake Woodruff, Merritt Island, and A.R.M. Loxahatchee.

But, during hunting periods when modern firearms are allowed, anyone may carry a handgun (as long as it is not concealed) on ANY wildlife management area (including the 11 listed above).

brboyer

Question
Can I carry a concealed firearm, if I have the proper permit, on wildlife management areas? What about during non-hunting periods or during archery and muzzleloading gun seasons?

Answer
If you hold a valid concealed weapons permit, you may carry a handgun (as long as it remains concealed), during any time of the year on all wildlife management areas except for Camp Blanding, Eglin, Tyndall Air Force Base, Avon Park, Big Cypress, St. Marks, St. Vincent Island, Lower Suwannee, Lake Woodruff, Merritt Island, and A.R.M. Loxahatchee.

But, during hunting periods when modern firearms are allowed, anyone may carry a handgun (as long as it is not concealed) on ANY wildlife management area (including the 11 listed above).

As I pointed out in my post, it is questionable if FWC has the legal authority to make such rules.

koja1962

koja1962

Thanks guys. i think i will call the shift superviser and get it from the horses mouth.

brboyer

Thanks guys. i think i will call the shift superviser and get it from the horses mouth.

This will not answer your question. You need to contact a lawyer.

Florida LEO's are not qualified to provide legal advise. It's actually a felony form them to offer legal advise.
What you can do is ask them if they will arrest you for it. That is something they can advise you on.

Where were you hunting?

koja1962

koja1962

was hunting in tiger bay wma. talked to someone from the fwc and he told me its up to the leo at the time who can either give me a ticket or not. so if the leo who checks you out is having a bad day he can make you have one as well. i can understand if you are packing a 500s&w, 454 casaul, or the like. but im packing my model 21 glock with hydro shocks. but the seasons over tomarrow then i wont worry about it when the big guns come out.

brboyer

was hunting in tiger bay wma. talked to someone from the fwc and he told me its up to the leo at the time who can either give me a ticket or not. so if the leo who checks you out is having a bad day he can make you have one as well. i can understand if you are packing a 500s&w, 454 casaul, or the like. but im packing my model 21 glock with hydro shocks. but the seasons over tomarrow then i wont worry about it when the big guns come out.

Told you it would be a waste of time.

They do not even know their own regulations.

batch

Question

Answer

I know the wildlife management areas I go to specifically state "All firearms shall be securely encased and in a vehicle, vessel, camper or tent, during periods when they are not a legal method of take. Persons in possession of a valid Concealed Weapon or Firearm License may carry concealed handguns."

As of February 22, 2010 carry in National Parks and Preserves is allowed if you have a CCW valid in that state.

"As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit the federal Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms website and select the state that you are interested in from the list on the right side of the page. More specific information about state permit regulations can be obtained on the following websites:

Florida: http://www.nps.gov/bicy/parkmgmt/firearms-regulations.htm

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances."

You know the way its worded I would think that you could open carry while hunting, camping, or fishing.

brboyer

I know the wildlife management areas I go to specifically state "All firearms shall be securely encased and in a vehicle, vessel, camper or tent, during periods when they are not a legal method of take. Persons in possession of a valid Concealed Weapon or Firearm License may carry concealed handguns."

As of February 22, 2010 carry in National Parks and Preserves is allowed if you have a CCW valid in that state.

"As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit the federal Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms website and select the state that you are interested in from the list on the right side of the page. More specific information about state permit regulations can be obtained on the following websites:

Florida: http://www.nps.gov/bicy/parkmgmt/firearms-regulations.htm

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances."

You know the way its worded I would think that you could open carry while hunting, camping, or fishing.

Florida Wildlife Management Areas are separate distinct entities from National Parks, State Parks, etc. They may be located within these others areas, but are controlled by Florida FWC. Whether or not the FWC regulations are lawful is another matter entirely.