Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: court date

court date

Those of you with details about my case, please refrain from posting them here.

For all with an interest in my situation, the court date is Wednesday, November 3rd, at 10:30am

Pm sent
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    Pm sent
    Ditto.
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi

in what court?

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    in what court?
    37th district in Warren, right behind PD

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    37th district in Warren, right behind PD
    cannot make it i have a job interview, sorry man, but i will be going to file an official complaint later this week.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

As much as I'd like to be there, I'm currently exercising my rights in Alabama...

Ticket dismissed. The officer couldn't even articulate his reason for writing it. Fool.

So with the court case now over, can you tell us what it was about?

Quote Originally Posted by warrior1978 View Post
    So with the court case now over, can you tell us what it was about?
    +1

Banned
    congrats man.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    oh geez, warren again, i didn't hear about this. will they never learn?
    interested in hearing details.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    oh, and congrats on the win. hopefully you were able to represent yourself and not pay a lawyer.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    oh, and congrats on the win. hopefully you were able to represent yourself and not pay a lawyer.
    I have sworn an oath of secrecy, but, all I can say is - Warren PD suffers from rectal cranial inversion.
    I am glad their judges in Warren know a buffoon when they see one.

P.S. - Sorry I couldn't make it EvilC. I had a medical issue that stopped me from making it. If you need any help for future actions please let me know.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 11-03-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: P.S.

I agree with Scott623's assessment based on the description of the interaction... the officer needs to breath some fresh air and take some firearms law courses!!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

court

Glad it got thrown out evilC if you need anything let me know. PM me so i get some info about graphics may need to hire someone for next yr ty

Glad to hear you beat them at their own game! Sorry I had to back out for work and could not make it, but I need the cash to buy a new toy at the gun show!
    Last edited by Onnie; 11-03-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

This is a repeat of Fatboycykes' case. I don't have a lot of nice things to say about the way the Warren PD is run, but I am glad that the court at least seems to have sensible judges.

I am rather surprised it even got going far enough to be heard. In FBC's case, the judge dropped the charges just about the same second as he slammed his gavel down to open the case. FBC never even had the chance to present the argument Veritas and I helped him come up with.

But the thing that seems to have remained in both cases is that the prosecutor (or maybe there were 2 different ones, I dunno) didn't understand when evil/FBC contacted them asking them to throw the case out. They wasted both time and money on both sides in making everyone come for a court appearance.

The Warren Court and the Warren PD should be ashamed of themselves. There are a lot of people working for that city that would be far better suited to seeking work at a day labor type of place.
    Last edited by Michigander; 11-03-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    This is a repeat of Fatboycykes' case. I don't have a lot of nice things to say about the way the Warren PD is run, but I am glad that the court at least seems to have sensible judges.

I am rather surprised it even got going far enough to be heard. In FBC's case, the judge dropped the charges just about the same second as he slammed his gavel down to open the case. FBC never even had the chance to present the argument Veritas and I helped him come up with.

But the thing that seems to have remained in both cases is that the prosecutor (or maybe there were 2 different ones, I dunno) didn't understand when evil/FBC contacted them asking them to throw the case out. They wasted both time and money on both sides in making everyone come for a court appearance.

The Warren Court and the Warren PD should be ashamed of themselves. There are a lot of people working for that city that would be far better suited to seeking work at a day labor type of place.
    This is one reason I would suggest EC and a couple people show up to the next Warren City Council Meeting and speak during Public Comments (3 max speakers). This way, the people of Warren can at least know what their city is doing.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    There may not be any details posted on this but hopefully in the future they will be made public. I think that most of us know what that department is all about.

PD, I agree I think a couple of people showing up to the meeting and letting the citizens know that they have nothing more than a few bullies costing their city money and resources. I'm glad the judge could see this for what it was.

Glad to hear the outcome! I believe the next meeting is on the 9th

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    This is one reason I would suggest EC and a couple people show up to the next Warren City Council Meeting and speak during Public Comments (3 max speakers). This way, the people of Warren can at least know what their city is doing.

This was a little over a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXuvCfzBH_I

That being said....I'm all for another visit
    Last edited by FatboyCykes; 11-03-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Generaldet View Post
    There may not be any details posted on this but hopefully in the future they will be made public. I think that most of us know what that department is all about.

PD, I agree I think a couple of people showing up to the meeting and letting the citizens know that they have nothing more than a few bullies costing their city money and resources. I'm glad the judge could see this for what it was.

Glad to hear the outcome! I believe the next meeting is on the 9th
    Clearly they don't care about what the law says, and clearly if there were any gun friendly politicians on the council they'd have stepped in by now.

I'm not saying don't go to the council if you have your heart set on it, but I sincerly doubt it will do any good at all.

Hammoneggs needs to get the suit straightened out, and there will probably need to be others. They've certainly earned that much. Warren is one of the first cities we contacted to correct its abusive actions, and years later they are still at it. We're talking about a group of people with some who openly defy laws, and disregard potential consequences. The term lawlessness may be a bit much, but certainly I think that the time for us to give them courteous descriptions of problems with ideas for solutions has come and gone.

So again, go to a meeting if you want, but I believe it will amount to a fruitless ******* match.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Thanks for the support guys.

Army, I'll pm you

Michigander, it got thrown out by the city attorney. All the judge did was, as you say, 'slam the gavel down'

As far as what its about... there are some 'additional details' I can't disclose but here's the encounter:

I was at Buddy's Pizza in Warren, on Van Dyke, pretty close to the cop shop actually. I was with my band having pizza [bastards... i'm not in that band anymore, but thats another story]. I was open carrying, since, while I don't believe they make a majority of their income from the bar there, I wasn't sure so figured I ought to play it safe. Long story short the cops show up, spouting off nonsense about how this 'isn't the wild west', and try and tell me that OC in and of itself is a CPL violation. Then they cite this college textbook that has incomplete summaries of a couple MCLs and try to tell me I can't carry there because its a PFZ, ignoring the CPL exception.

They ended up kicking me out, saying it was 'talk in the parking lot or I'll take your gun'

Outside, the Sergeant then asked me “Do you understand that you were breaking the law by carrying in there?”

I was silent.

He repeated his question

I was silent.

He asked me “Do you have any questions about what I'm telling you”

I responded with “I do not have any questions, but I refuse to answer your previous question”

The Sergeant then tried to reiterate that it is a CPL violation to be open carrying, which is not true.

He then reasserted that the ticket I was being written was for a CPL violation, and that it was a $500 fine and a six month CPL suspension.

He then said “You should know the laws before you go out and carry a gun”

I replied “I do”

The Sergeant appeared visibly agitated by my remark, started to make a comment, and walked away to his car. He then said “If you did then you wouldn't be here getting a ticket” and walked away

I replied “That remains to be seen”

He got visibly p/o'd and walked off huffing.

In the notes, on the ticket, it said "XD .45acp RT HIP NOT CONCEALED"....

Initially the ticket was written for 'miscellaneous civil infraction 1st offense CPL violation'

I didn't figure out until today what I was actually cited for. You guys will like this...

28.425f subsection 5(a), which reads:
    (5) An individual who violates subsection (3) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined as follows:

(a) For a first offense, by a fine of not more than $500.00 or by the individual's license to carry a concealed pistol being suspended for 6 months, or both.

...this is what I was cited for. How can you be cited for a description...? it blows my mind how stupid this is.

Not to mention I was finished talking to the cops, and on my way with my business, at around 9:35, and this statute was not entered into the citation records until 10:30. The cop took a whole hour trying to figure out what he was citing me for, and still couldn't at least pick a statute that its actually possible to violate.

W!
    T!
    F!

Did you hire a lawyer or go it alone?

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Michigander, I'm with you all the way. I sent you a pm to clarify my point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast