Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation with Mike Carrell

Conversation with Mike Carrell

I just spent the last 30 or so mins on the phone with Mike Carrell (called me after his KOMO spot) we discussed the possibility of Constitutional Carry, amongst a few other issues relating to the Constitution. He is a 2A supporter to the death as well as a CONSTITUTIONAL supporter. (look at his record if you dont believe me) He told me that as long as Republicans take control of the Senate (state senate that is in case anyone isn't following yet) He will become the Judiciary Chair and it would be "a lot more likely that we could get more self defense and personal protection bills passed."

He has also reaffirmed Jim's fears that if Democrats get control he has been promised that the assault weapons ban will come back into play, but he told me that the likelihood of that passing is slim to none, based on the few Democrats he can count on for a vote in the Judiciary Comittee (has to pass comittee first obviously). Not that we should not keep our eyes peeled and be on the lookout, but we DO have someone on our side at least.

Basic moral of the story is that the status quo needs to be changed or we will continue to face even MORE threats to our rights, whther they be 2A or 4A or 5A or taxA....
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Well, i know who I'm voting for...

roger that. I've got a few things to ponder this election, including initiatives that will end my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    roger that. I've got a few things to ponder this election, including initiatives that will end my job.
    Which one? I wanna be sure I'm not responsible for firing your butt. Since you just got a promotion and all.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Would that be 1100 and 1105?
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Double tap.
    Last edited by Lucky_Dog; 10-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    They're over there with their guns!

Both are wolves in the skin of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Dog View Post
    Both are wolves in the skin of sheep.
    ...how ya figure?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Look at the initiatives and follow the $$.
    Who really wins and loses?

The state does need outta this biz. But is either initiative really the way to do it?

YOMV

The state does need outta this biz. But is either initiative really the way to do it?

YOMV
    I'm happy with anything that hacks away at this state's power.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJacque View Post
    I'm happy with anything that hacks away at this state's power.
    Ditto.

I don't really care if it lowers the price or not, I don't drink all that much. But much as I hate Costco now I'd rather them get the money than the State. What's wrong with Costco spending money to advance their interests in the first place?

No, the initiative's not perfect. Things political rarely are. However it IS an improvement. Besides, I already voted yes Name:  icon_mrgreen.gif
Views: 199
Size:  349 Bytes

It sucks, but you have to vote for whats right, not always whats right for you....

SB 6396 Assault weapons ban

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post

He will become the Judiciary Chair and it would be "a lot more likely that we could get more self defense and personal protection bills passed."

He has also reaffirmed Jim's fears that if Democrats get control he has been promised that the assault weapons ban will come back into play, but he told me that the likelihood of that passing is slim to none, based on the few Democrats he can count on for a vote in the Judiciary Comittee (has to pass comittee first obviously). Not that we should not keep our eyes peeled and be on the lookout, but we DO have someone on our side at least.
    No guessing here...this bill was was "re-introduced and retained in its present status" in special session March 15 2010.

When a bill is introduced, it automatically has a two year shelf life (and two legislative sessions)....Two of the sponsors (Kohl-wells, and Kline are prime sponsors) both sit on the judiciary committee...typically, the committee chair determines the course of the bill, including moving into public hearing status and then a vote in the committee....Kline is a prime sponsor and is also the current chair of the judiciary committee in the Senate.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...6396&year=2009

We need to absolutely pay attention here, in the upcoming session....
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

YOMV
    The initiative process is probably the ONLY way it will get done. Once the state gets all that "free money" they immediately have a pet project to spend it on. The legislators would rather cut off one of their hands that loose control of this cash cow.

For all here that espouse their views that Government is involved in too much of our lives, these initiatives should be "no brainers". The State needs to get totally our of this part of our lives and let the free market prevail. There are far too many States that use the private enterprise approach to liquor sales and their experience is no better or worse than ours. The difference is that private enterprise will have the ability to enter the arena and those of us that have to wait until we take a trip to another state to get our favorite brand will be able to do so at a local store. I don't need the State telling me what brand of Scotch I can't enjoy or if they special order it for me, mark the price up to double what I can pick it up for as I drive through that "other state".

BTW, how many here are Small Business Owners and hire employees? Getting the State out of Workman's Comp will make them far more competive and actually able to hire more employees. My Son is one of those businessmen and he refuses to hire ANYONE because of Washington State L&I costs. If the State is removed from this business he will hire at least two people right away. Kind of his own limited "Jobs Program".

Again, how can anyone here speak out of the left side of their mouth's saying "Less Government" and then let the right side say "But I'm voting against any legislation/Initiative that will do so"? Just asking.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    Would that be 1100 and 1105?
    Absolutely! After watching what happened to another state, if they pass our company already told us ut's 50-60% layoffs, instantly! If they get alcohol, they'll go for pop, and that'll shut us down. The whole thing is just too sketchy. I'm worried this time around.

Absolutely! After watching what happened to another state, if they pass our company already told us ut's 50-60% layoffs, instantly! If they get alcohol, they'll go for pop, and that'll shut us down. The whole thing is just too sketchy. I'm worried this time around.
    I would look for work, at least one will pass.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I'd wager they both do and then the Courts will have to decide which parts of which take effect.

Something to remember, unless you work in a State Liquor Store or at a State Warehouse, the "New" vendors will still have to buy their product somewhere. Competitive suppliers will be able to survive. Those who lived off the "monopoly" will have to revise their business plans.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Not by my vote. We shall see in November.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    The initiative process is probably the ONLY way it will get done. Once the state gets all that "free money" they immediately have a pet project to spend it on. The legislators would rather cut off one of their hands that loose control of this cash cow.

For all here that espouse their views that Government is involved in too much of our lives, these initiatives should be "no brainers". The State needs to get totally our of this part of our lives and let the free market prevail. There are far too many States that use the private enterprise approach to liquor sales and their experience is no better or worse than ours. The difference is that private enterprise will have the ability to enter the arena and those of us that have to wait until we take a trip to another state to get our favorite brand will be able to do so at a local store. I don't need the State telling me what brand of Scotch I can't enjoy or if they special order it for me, mark the price up to double what I can pick it up for as I drive through that "other state".

BTW, how many here are Small Business Owners and hire employees? Getting the State out of Workman's Comp will make them far more competive and actually able to hire more employees. My Son is one of those businessmen and he refuses to hire ANYONE because of Washington State L&I costs. If the State is removed from this business he will hire at least two people right away. Kind of his own limited "Jobs Program".

Again, how can anyone here speak out of the left side of their mouth's saying "Less Government" and then let the right side say "But I'm voting against any legislation/Initiative that will do so"? Just asking.
    And with that, my friend, I think I need to buy you a drink

f they get alcohol, they'll go for pop, and that'll shut us down.
    ... explain that part, please?

What do you do for a living again?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    ... explain that part, please?

What do you do for a living again?

IIRC, he works at a state liquor warehouse/distribution center.
    What he meant by "going for pop next" I dont know, that part confused me
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    And with that, my friend, I think I need to buy you a drink
    +1

1100 and 1105 both passing would be a clusterf**k, would be almost as bad as if neither passed.

Soooooooooo, back to the top. Mike Carrell is one that is in agreement on 2A. If each one contacts their rep. and lets them know what we're up against, we could get things rolling. JT59 mentioned the awb. Tell your rep about it. A lot of you know of other bills or items that need addressing. I am going to talk to my rep, Jan Angel, about my concerns. I think we should hit them with only a few topics in order to keep things simple. I'm not that knowledgable on the RCWs as BigDave,GoGo,Deros,Amlevin,JT59, TriggerDr, DevilDoc,and others. We need some of you guys that KNOW what the RCW says and what it actually means to step up and and get the ball rolling. I want to help, but as I said, I'm not that well rehearsed on what to say.

I personally think right now that one of the biggest things we need to work on is the rewording or annihilation of .270. What causes alarm? What is in a manner time and place? maybe placing something in it that says "a properly holstered or concealed weapon is not in and of itself suffecient to cause alarm."

That and the whole CPL in a car thing is another one that I think should be changed.

Obviously Constitutional Carry, but I am not sure if WE as a state are ready for that yet...
    Last edited by devildoc5; 10-21-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast