• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forks in the road...

slowfiveoh

Hello everyone!

I have recently come to the conclusion that I do not approve of the way the country, and local city/state goverments are being run. In the obvious sense that the only way to affect my surroundings is to interact with it, I have decided to pursue my criminal justice degree, and stick my nose into politics.

I am looking for some advice on where, and how, to begin this process.

I would eventually like to be a Congressman, or Senator. I have also considered running for Sheriff.

I currently have the power of the GI Bill at my disposal, and although I have already used 1 year of it (That means I have 2 years left fellas), I would like to leverage it in the most beneficial, and efficient of ways.

Are there any attorneys, or political figureheads, on the forum who can give me some sage advice on where to begin this process?

If so please answer here, or send me a message if you prefer.

Thanks!

Jason

Last edited:

daddy4count

City Council is usually where it starts... though you may have to spend some time being present at the meetings and active in your community to make an impact on the next ballot.

slowfiveoh

City Council is usually where it starts... though you may have to spend some time being present at the meetings and active in your community to make an impact on the next ballot.

EDIT: Ugh. I realize this is confusing and everywhere.

Let me ponder a bit, then clarify.

I appreciate your response daddy4count. Thank you.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you are not yet involved with your local political party committee (city/county) get in touch with them and start attending. There are usually so few active members that new blood is welcomed and can expect to be offered some activity to become involved in.

Do not expect to become the committee chairman within the first two weeks. You probably are going to have to do scut work for a while.

Do not get discouraged. Stick with it. Sit back and observe for a while, but don't be afraid to ask questions. Listen to the answers and think about them. Find a mentor.

Some day you too could become President.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
First, research your vote, then vote.

Second, attend and speak up at your city council meetings.

Third, ask for if not insist on meetings with each and every one of them to address the issues you hold dear. Limiit it to your top three, however, otherwise they'll label you as a nut.

Forth, write you state legislature! If your skill in writng clear, succinct, proposed changes to your state legislatures ever gains momentum, you'll be ahead of the game.

As will your cause, particularly if you find a common-interest location of posting it

Good luck!

- mugs

beebobby

Remember, anything you say, can and will be used against you by your opponents in the future. So keep that whole "dabbled in witchcraft in high school" thing to yourself.

Good luck.

frommycolddeadhands

Hello everyone!

I currently have the power of the GI Bill at my disposal, and although I have already used 1 year of it (That means I have 2 years left fellas), I would like to leverage it in the most beneficial, and efficient of ways.

As far as getting your BA in Crim Justice, contact your local University and set up a meeting with the education counselor. If you've only got 2 years left on the GI Bill you want to make it count. Your military experience plus the 1 year you already used should take care of all your elective credits and possibly some core classes. Most colleges have a 'placement test' for new students. My dad took one after spending 20 yrs in the AF and got to skip the first 2 years of classes. If you can do the same you'll have your BA paid for.

Again, contact an education advisor at the college. They'll be able to help you

slowfiveoh

Helpful Info Here

Thanks for the info man. I knew all that stuff.

The big problem I have is determining which route could lead to a larger effect on steering this country back to its Constitutional values, of which it has severely deterred.

That's the struggle I am having at the moment...

It's painful too, I am typically a VERY decisive guy.

frommycolddeadhands

Thanks for the info man. I knew all that stuff.

The big problem I have is determining which route could lead to a larger effect on steering this country back to its Constitutional values, of which it has severely deterred.

That's the struggle I am having at the moment...

It's painful too, I am typically a VERY decisive guy.

I see. Well, like most folks have already mentioned, getting into the political arena is really just deciding where you want to start. City counsel, school boards, or any other local electoral body is usually a good place to start. If you are interested in running for Sheriff you'll need some LE experience (if you dont already) so perhaps starting out as a deputy or city cop.

If you're going for a political office straight away you might also consider contacting your local Republican or Democrat HQ. Almost every city has one. Get to know the people and show your face around. The main point of all this is networking, which will help you later when you need campaign funds for commercials, ads, gas money, buttons, fliers and all the other bells and whistles (not to mention money to pay a campaign staff). Get to know EVERYONE. Church leaders, education leaders, political players, anyone and everyone. You'll need all the friends you can get, and all the donations too.

After you've got a good base set down, and you know what issues and platform you want to run on, its a simple matter of filling out the paperwork and paying the fees to get your name on the ballot.

After that it's all campaigning.

Just a reminder, most offices do not require a degree of any sort. Usually there is just an age requirement. Experience is often preferred to education, and in local elections it is usually a matter of who you know, so knowing a lot of people is as good a place to start as any.

beebobby

If you really want to have influence in the govt. you should probably go with the big business lobbyist solution, like oil or pharmaceutical companies. That way you could just buy whatever agenda you support. Sorry, I'm a little cynical of govt. these days.

Last edited:

ChiangShih

I'm a Criminal Justice major as well with a specific interest in political science. You and I have very similar goals though I intend to head to law school when I finish this degree, then I'll attempt to put my foot into political game. Until then I figure the best course of action is make a name for yourself in your community. I live in a major city so that is easier said than done, but focus on something you're passionate about and be active. Organize meets, talk at city council meetings, and pursue the hell out of you degrees. Also, colleges often offer internships and student specific jobs for campaigns. Get to know your local politicians through that or any means possible.