• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA "1st Freedom" Magazine RE Walker/Johnson

anmut

According to the insert in the NRA's magazine, America's First Freedom which came in the mail today, both Johnson and Walker support "shall-issue right-to-carry law in Wisconsin."

Umm... excuse me and WTF? I know Barrett is the leftist wet dream when it comes to melting guns down, but Walker & Johnson stating that they believe we need additional taxes and training in order to flop a t-shirt over our already available openly carried firearm?

Is this pandering from the NRA or are we in for an additional fight after they're elected to repeal the ban and have our constitutional carry?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
My bet is they were asked, "would you support 'shall issue?'"

And they answered yes. Doesn't mean anything other than that.

Walker will sign any good bill he gets, to we need to concentrate on the legislature as well as the governor races.

fjpro2a

Yes and Yes

Yes, this is pandering from the NRA, and yes, we are in for an additional fight. We are in a fight for the rest of our lives, and the lives of our children and grandchildren. We must not weaken, and we must not waver. The NRA might be a good partner at times, but at other times, it is not. I am a lifetime member who constantly questions whether or not I should resign from the NRA. Sometimes, I am so frustrated that my blood pressure rises, but I know I have to persist for my children and grandchildren and beyond. At times, we have to go for the "big" victory, but we must not overlook the "small" victory now and then.

johnny amish

It would be nice to know what the original question was. Walker and Johnson have both stated they suport constitutional carry. The NRA has a different idea of the right to carry than I do, only three states in the union have the right to carry, Vermont, Alaska and now Arizona, but the NRA claims that all but two states in the union have the right to carry. They equate a permit for a right. They don't even recognize Wisconsin's right to oc.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/nra-final-2-states-without-right-to-carry-gun-laws-will-fall

Last edited:

professor gun

Yes, this is pandering from the NRA,

Explain your reasoning here. How is answering a survey from an organization like the NRA by a politician "pandering" by the NRA?

As mentioned already, often the answer is influenced greatly by the question.

I have personally spoken with both candidates. Mr. Walker told me he would sign a concealed carry bill if the legislature passes one.

I asked Mr. Johnson about National Concealed Carry Reciprocity (which came close to passing in the U.S. Senate over a year ago) and he told me he was in favor of the legislation.

J.Gleason

Banned
Explain your reasoning here. How is answering a survey from an organization like the NRA by a politician "pandering" by the NRA?

As mentioned already, often the answer is influenced greatly by the question.

I have personally spoken with both candidates. Mr. Walker told me he would sign a concealed carry bill if the legislature passes one.

I asked Mr. Johnson about National Concealed Carry Reciprocity (which came close to passing in the U.S. Senate over a year ago) and he told me he was in favor of the legislation.

Is Walker for bigger government or smaller Government. We do not need a new Bill or Law. We need to repeal 941.23 nothing more. Anything else promotes bigger Government!

anmut

Here is an interesting article... If the unions support Barrett but the actual cops support Walker, is he going to go against repealing the ban when later they want their favor back?

http://host.madison.com/news/state-...cle_0079ce63-80c9-5309-9b67-00deb69a4eb0.html

SNIP:
A Milwaukee police officer and firefighter who support Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott Walker appear in a new television ad attacking Democratic candidate Tom Barrett.

The ad airing statewide starting Wednesday faults Barrett for not fixing problems with the radio system used by emergency personnel in Milwaukee.

Walker, the Milwaukee County executive, is endorsed in the governor's race by the Milwaukee Police Association, the Milwaukee Professional Firefighters and the Wisconsin Troopers Association.

professor gun

Is Walker for bigger government or smaller Government. We do not need a new Bill or Law. We need to repeal 941.23 nothing more. Anything else promotes bigger Government!

This is a pretty simplistic view.

Again, what does this have to do with the NRA "pandering"? My question has yet to be answered.

Some of you folks here regularly bash the NRA with generalities and platitudes that are often based upon incorrect assumptions. Given, the NRA has done some really stupid things, and I am sure they will continue to make mistakes periodically.

So, how is the NRA "pandering" (and to whom are they "pandering") when they survey candidates regarding their views on firearms rights?

J.Gleason

Banned
This is a pretty simplistic view.

Again, what does this have to do with the NRA "pandering"? My question has yet to be answered.

Some of you folks here regularly bash the NRA with generalities and platitudes that are often based upon incorrect assumptions. Given, the NRA has done some really stupid things, and I am sure they will continue to make mistakes periodically.

So, how is the NRA "pandering" (and to whom are they "pandering") when they survey candidates regarding their views on firearms rights?

I wasn't the one who said anything about pandering. But since you continue to push your question towards me, then I have a few for you. Why is it the NRA always sit on the sidelines quietly waiting for results from all of the smaller groups out here; And when those results come in the NRA is the first to jump up and take the credit?

Why is it that the NRA liaison Jordan Austin got angry when I approached my legislators yet the NRA sits silently waiting to push a bill that includes mandatory training?

Why do we always have to do things the NRA way, which seems long and drawn out with extra hoops to jump through, when we could just as easily look at the other states (like Arizona)that have Free carry and model our states system after theirs, since their system seems to work just fine and without any issues?

Last edited: