• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut state police want legislature to ban open carry in 2011

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

This is just great. So if this goes through and I'm carrying concealed (which I usually do for personal reasons, I do fully support anyone's right to open carry however as per the law) and my shirt/coat rides up unintentionally I could be charged with fines ranging from $500-$2000 plus possible jail time (and I'll go out on a limb here and venture that I would have my permit rescinded due to the whole suitability nonsense...).

I guess it's time to write our representatives (who don't seem too 2A friendly) and plead with them to consider all angles before putting this proposal through...

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

... Recently, citizens have taken it upon themselves to test our statutes by carrying openly. In doing so, several arrests have been made under the Breach of Peace statues C.G.S. 53a-181, with those dispositions ending in nolle's or dismissal, proving that these laws are inadequate in their detail...

Ummmm... no. The fact that the final disposition was either dismissal or nolle prosequi means that the arbitors of justice; the Courts and prosecuting attorneys think you're being a bonehead bringing such charges before them. In the civilian world it's called "here's a hint, leave law abiding people alone."

Edward Peruta

This just received from CT via email

PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY
Firearms and the Second Amendment
The 2nd Amendment protects an individual’s right to bear arms separate and apart from military service, the U.S. Supreme Court held in Heller (2008) and McDonald (2010). The decisions have led to numerous 2nd Amendment challenges to gun regulation across the country. The legislature may review the state's gun laws, including registration requirements, background checks, waiting periods, and limitations on handgun possession, to determine if they are susceptible to such challenges.
Read OLR’s reports: http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsearch_olr.html or go to the ctnewsjunkie url above.

2008-R-0578, Summary of D.C. v. Heller
2010-R-0314, Summary of the recent McDonald v. Chicago Gun Case
2007-R-0369, Summary of State Gun Laws

Confidentiality of Gun Permit Holders’ Names and Addresses
A shooting at The Hartford Distributors warehouse that left nine people dead raised questions about the law that makes the names and addresses of gun permit holders confidential. The legislature may address the issue this year.

Electronic Defense Weapons
Increasingly, police are using electronic defense weapons, including Tasers, that are intended to be a non-lethal alternative to deadly force. The legislature may look at creating statewide standards governing the use of the weapons in light of (1) the increasing number of Taser-related deaths and injuries, (2) police departments’ increasing use of the weapons, and (3) the aggressive marketing of the weapons to the civilian market.
Read OLR’s report:
2007-R-0068, Taser Use Guidelines

Rich B

Confidentiality of Gun Permit Holders’ Names and Addresses
A shooting at The Hartford Distributors warehouse that left nine people dead raised questions about the law that makes the names and addresses of gun permit holders confidential. The legislature may address the issue this year.

It is very alarming if they are considering making this information public. This needs to be fought against.

aadvark

The Connecticut Firearms Board of Examiners SURELY WANTS The Conneticut Legislature to do away with Open Carry, Licensure Confidentiality, etc..
However, The Real Question is whether or not The Connecticut Legislature will actually take up the Matter.
Is The Connecticut Legislature Liable to do so?

cco2010

This makes no sense, especially the part about the financial benefit to the General Fund. Will the state really be able to prosecute everyone whose grip prints through their shirt, or shows the end of the muzzle when they lift their arms for less than $500 each?? The state will make more money issuing permits...

Shawn Mitola

This makes no sense, especially the part about the financial benefit to the General Fund. Will the state really be able to prosecute everyone whose grip prints through their shirt, or shows the end of the muzzle when they lift their arms for less than $500 each?? The state will make more money issuing permits...

I agree, its a horrible waste of time to "clarify" something that is as clear as crystal right now.

t3ddymac

Fresh Carry Permit

As the bearer of a 7 day old CT Carry Permit it really discourages me to see all this crap about "open carry" and "breach of peace." It seems that in order to become a member of the State Police or DPS you have to be a sworn democrat who wants to completely rewrite or reinterpret the constitution set forth by our forefathers (not to mention state law). Someone needs to step up and be the voice and bring this before state legislature from OUR SIDE
One of three things needs to happen:
1. Make different types of permits for concealed or open carry of a firearm for CIVILIANS.
2. Make the state an open carry state (oh wait IT ALREADY IS ONE) and reword the law so it's easier to understand and eliminate the "gray areas" these cops are loop-holing
3. FOLLOW THE LAWS OF THE STATE IN WHICH WE LIVE!!! THE LAWS THAT CLEARLY STATE I CAN OPENLY CARRY A WEAPON ON MY PERSON WITH A STATE ISSUED PERMIT!!

I have a friend who has printed out the section referring to open carry, straight from general statutes and has it laminated. He carries it right behind his carry permit and carries openly all the time. No one has EVER given him a problem or had cause to panic. (I have a feeling most people think he's a cop, but that's besides the point.) Either way, he is prepared to present the law to, well, the LAW, should he ever be confronted about carrying openly. Probably not the smartest idea because you would undoubtedly piss the cop off even more, but in any case he is well within his rights.

Those of us who wish to open carry are not "Rambo" or gang members looking to rob a bank or someone else. We are law abiding and respectful citizens who wish to exercise our right to bear arms, plain and simple. Society, the press and the damn democrats, makes us out to be lawless militiamen who are out looking for a gun fight at high noon. America is supposed to be a great country full of people who have pride in our laws and what was sacrificed to grant us the freedoms we enjoy today. Instead it's turning into a country full of wimpy, whiny marshmallows who want nothing more than to change the laws for the "betterment" of society.

Last edited:

Hawk19

OC Challenge

I believe this will continue to raise its ugly head every year for 2 basic reasons. There have been too many Law Enforcement Officers embarrassed by a misunderstanding of the actual law. Most anyone who gets embarrassed will lash out if able and this is one of the ways. Secondly, and this really worrries me more, the wording of the concealment requirement is so vague that many people will be arrested for violation of the concealment requirement. If convicted then you WILL lose your permit and in most peoples eyes it will be one more gun off the street. Any bulge under the coat will constitute probable cause of lack of concealment and presto, the general fund is richer and there is one less person legally allowed to exercise their Constitutional right.