Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: single action only revolver

single action only revolver

Anyone think this would be a healthy choice for every day carry?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I think you mean "single action revolver", not "Single Action Only" revolver. That term, just like "Double Action/Single Action" are misnomers in that they are more recently coined terms of action types which have existed for many years. Sorry, just a point to give.

No, a single action revolver, while an incredible fun gun, is not the best choice of a defensive sidearm in today's world. You are limited to six rounds (most of them, anyway), and an action type which is pretty slow for repeat shots (unless your name is Bill Munden). If you are of a mind to carry a revolver, you would be much better served to carry one which is double action. Single actions are great for hunting but when the potential to encounter a BG, or multiple BG's, with semi-auto pistols, you could find yourself in deep kimchi.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Anyone think this would be a healthy choice for every day carry?
    If it is all that you have - better than empty hand.

If looking to acquire, there are better options.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    How does one carry a SA revolver? Do you carry it hammer back like a 1911, or hammer down on an empty chamber like an old DA?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonalk View Post
    How does one carry a SA revolver? Do you carry it hammer back like a 1911, or hammer down on an empty chamber like an old DA?
    SA revolver carried hammer down on empty charge hole = five beans in a barrel.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    SA revolver carried hammer down on empty charge hole = five beans in a barrel.
    With the exception of Ruger single action revolvers, and any others which have adopted Ruger's transfer bar ignition system, this is absolutely correct.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

There is a thread somewhere here about an open carrier defending himself and other customers in, I think, a convenience store, with, a single action revolver in .45Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    There is a thread somewhere here about an open carrier defending himself and other customers in, I think, a convenience store, with, a single action revolver in .45Colt.
    Yeah... (Richmond, VA) and somehow his sear broke and he was forced to hold the hammer back 'n release it with his thumb in the encounter. He was VERY lucky. That said... the SAA (Single Action Army) revolver is an antique design of little use in todays world for self defense. It's big, limited in capacity and slow to fire. Even slower to reload. I would no more carry a SAA for a carry gun than drive a Model T on the I-10. If you're thinkin' 'cowboy cool'... handguns are not fashion statements. This 'cowboy' carries a 1911-A1 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gunbelt with Serpa 002.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	4296  
    Last edited by Sonora Rebel; 10-20-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    There are numerous threads on the matter. This is but one:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=golden+market

If it is all that you have - better than empty hand.

If looking to acquire, there are better options.
    I have to agree with Grapeshot on this one. If it's all you got, it will do the job, but if you are shopping for a gun to carry there are a lot of better options.

If, and only if you happen to shoot cowboy action courses each and every week, and you carry a more substantial backup, I'd call it a decent option as a primary carry gun. Not great, but decent. Good cowboy action shooters are capable of extremely effective shooting with SAA type guns.

But since you're asking, that probably already means you aren't skilled with these guns as an extremely dedicated hobby, which is why I'd suggest you not even consider it.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned

Thumbs up

I think you can get away with carrying in a federal gun free school zone if the single action revolver is percussion cap or old enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    I think you can get away with carrying in a federal gun free school zone if the single action revolver is percussion cap or old enough.
    oh you gota back that up with a citation. Its not nice to tease with things too good to be true.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    oh you gota back that up with a citation. Its not nice to tease with things too good to be true.
    A according to federal law and antique is not a firearm. Title 18, Section 921(a)(3)

A pistol made before 1899 is not a firearm nor is a percussion pistol according to federal law. Title 18, Section 921(a)(16)

GFSZ says it is illegal to carry a firearm. Title 18, Section 921(q)(2)(A)

A according to federal law and antique is not a firearm. Title 18, Section 921(a)(3)

A pistol made before 1899 is not a firearm nor is a percussion pistol according to federal law. Title 18, Section 921(a)(16)

GFSZ says it is illegal to carry a firearm. Title 18, Section 921(q)(2)(A)
    Different states have different definitions as to what constitutes a gun/firearm and unique statutes regarding schools, schools zones and guns.

I would be very hesitant to make such a blanket reference and apply it by application to GFSZ.

Banned
    Different states have different definitions as to what constitutes a gun/firearm and unique statutes regarding schools, schools zones and guns.

I would be very hesitant to make such a blanket reference and apply it by application to GFSZ.
    I specifically stated "FEDERAL GUN FREE ZONE". It wouldn't be a federal crime if it didn't meet the federal statute's definition of a crime because of the federal definition of a firearm.

I specifically stated "FEDERAL GUN FREE ZONE". It wouldn't be a federal crime if it didn't meet the federal statute's definition of a crime because of the federal definition of a firearm.
    I am aware of that. Also aware there was no caveat that other laws may apply.

Banned
    I am aware of that. Also aware there was no caveat that other laws may apply.
    I'm not going to put a legal disclaimer in each of my posts. I was talking about federal gun free zones and federal laws. I wasn't talking about local, state, common wealth or county laws because I didn't cite local, state, common wealth, or county laws. IANAL.

I'm not going to put a legal disclaimer in each of my posts...........IANAL.
    So I have heard.

What is IANAL but a disclaimer?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-21-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: corrected

SAA, Love em, respect them.

During rainy season i carry a 1911 with 2 mags.
    - During summer, on nice sunny days, i often carry my Ruger Vaquero in .45 colt in a drop loop rig. The simple fact is... i been shooting, allot, since 12. Also time in the army, where i shot less than being a civilian. For me, a single action is fast and natural, it was my first pistol, and a first love of firearms. No, i don't do cowboy shoots, those are a sport, and not what you would really do in a defensive situation. The defensive application of a single action is completely different, no sun down quick draws, though i would note i can access my sidearm way faster than most other rigs (especially in the hands of an average person). Fact is, SAA it is not for the regular peep who gets a gun for basic self protection, though, It could work if thats all you have, or if "defense" is more likely bears and beasts than human. In the woods, the larger shell of a SAA is advantageous. For two-legged beasts, the .45 colt from an old ruger is like throwing a Volkswagen at them, and though i know the ballistic truth about bullets, i also believe he who hits first usually wins, so yes there is one profound advantage with a revolver in general, they are also reliable, as mentioned Re: broken sear, might even work when broken.
    - So in the end, i usually advise many to get a double action revolver, if a revolver is what they like. A nice rig is beautiful, and can make a great conversation piece, but if you are not 100% attuned to the ways of old school action shooting, then stick with a modern machine. I do carry a small back up gun, as reloading the old beast is slow(er) and tedious. Under stress - any gun can be a pain to reload. I carry the BUG with my 1911 in winter too. Jams, breakage, grabs, inability to access the arm for unknown reasons, things like this are a possibility, so a second smaller gun is always a consideration.

- Be safe, have fun, choose a firearm that fits who and what you are.

Bat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	4317  
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I think you mean "single action revolver", not "Single Action Only" revolver. That term, just like "Double Action/Single Action" are misnomers in that they are more recently coined terms of action types which have existed for many years. Sorry, just a point to give.

No, a single action revolver, while an incredible fun gun, is not the best choice of a defensive sidearm in today's world. You are limited to six rounds (most of them, anyway), and an action type which is pretty slow for repeat shots (unless your name is Bill Munden). If you are of a mind to carry a revolver, you would be much better served to carry one which is double action. Single actions are great for hunting but when the potential to encounter a BG, or multiple BG's, with semi-auto pistols, you could find yourself in deep kimchi.

HAHAHAHAHA "deep kimchi" Being half Korean I really got a laugh out of that expression.
    HOOAH?

Quote Originally Posted by 25sierraman View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA "deep kimchi" Being half Korean I really got a laugh out of that expression.
    You know, I've known of that term for many years but like many, I don't know its real meaning. Does it mean exactly what it euphemistically sounds like it means?

America First!

Activist Member
    A lot of the single actions don't have to have an empty chamber because the hammer could be rested in the safety notches between chambers, like on the old Remington 1858. The 1860 Colt was often carried with a empty chamber but the Remington had all chambers loaded.

Some of the more modern designs are also safe to carry with a round under the hammer due to transfer bars and such.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 10-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    You know, I've known of that term for many years but like many, I don't know its real meaning. Does it mean exactly what it euphemistically sounds like it means?
    Well kimchi stinks like nothing else so I'm assuming that its just something you don't want to be deep into......I still eat it though.
    HOOAH?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast