• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry on NOVA campus

TFred

Yep. And they have full authority to enforce all laws of the state on campus and within 300 yards or something like that.. I'd have to find the cite. I've read it before after reading the NVCC websire:

"All NOVA police officers are fully trained, state certified by the Department of Criminal Justice Services of the Commonwealth of Virginia and sworn. Their jurisdiction covers all property owned and controlled by NOVA -- its streets, sidewalks and highways immediately adjacent to each campus. All sworn officers shall preserve the public peace, protect life and property, enforce and uphold the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. NOVA police officers patrol the campuses and are available to respond to calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They have authority to make arrests and carry firearms. They receive training at the Northern Virginia Criminal Academy in all aspects of law enforcement. "
Raises an interesting question... I don't see anything in that paragraph about enforcing the school's policies, and while the officer in this event did not do anything beyond what it appears they are legally allowed to do, they clearly informed the school of the policy violation. Hmm.

TFred

Nova_gts

Just wanted to say thanks guys for all the helpful advice.
I decided to go in yesterday to go in and feel it out - I had a pretty good feeling about things because the police did not even mention anything of this sort to me when I was stopped.
The short of the story is I met with the Judicial counselor (not sure if that's his exact title) and he said he needed to call me in to give me a verbal warning and that I was not in any sort of the trouble at the time, to "just leave it at home". He said that the cops were so impressed at how respectful and open I was with them and that they really appreciated that.
Bottom Line: I need to find some off campus parking!
:banana:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
This all brings to mind an incident that I remember from many years ago when I was a student at NVCC (Annandale was my home campus). There had been a rash of attacks on women who were taking evening classes. They were attacked when heading to their cars after class, late at night. Several rapes were the result of these attacks. At the time, I was taking a psychology class (ugh, but required), and one of the students was also a campus cop. He had caught the perp, at gun point as I recall.

Now had these ladies been armed, the results may have been different but alas, the nutso-feminazis would have had cows with the thought of a woman carrying a firearm and, God forbid, actually have used it to thwart an attack. Schools, be they primary, secondary, or higher ed, are beautiful target-rich environments for those bent on having a field day at the expense of innocent lives. The alter of contemporary agenda has room for the corpses of those who have been denied their natural and God-given right to defense. The ignorance of calling for more restrictions and controls after such attacks on our school campuses borders on criminal. When will these fools learn that they are feeding the beast?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I decided to go in yesterday to go in and feel it out - I had a pretty good feeling about things because the police did not even mention anything of this sort to me when I was stopped.
The short of the story is I met with the Judicial counselor (not sure if that's his exact title) and he said he needed to call me in to give me a verbal warning and that I was not in any sort of the trouble at the time, to "just leave it at home". He said that the cops were so impressed at how respectful and open I was with them and that they really appreciated that.

Great News!

Looks like things haven't changed all that much for some things.:banana:

CRF250rider1000

Lucky SOB! haha

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I find it interesting that a college that offers courses to help you get a Concealed handgun here in Virginia would reprimand/counsel/ or suspend somebody for obtaining a carry permit and then exercising their right.

http://www.nvcc.edu/schedule/crs2112/course_detail.asp?indexno=15362

I love how they add at the bottom of the course description
No ammunition or firearms are allowed on campus.
We'll teach you about guns and how to handle them but you have to keep them away from us sheep.:eek:

nova

Welcome to OpenCarry.org Nova_gts!

Happy to hear the great news! :cool:

nova

thank YOU for posting the link again which made me click on it and actually see there was an update!

Oral arguments Nov. 1 VA Supreme court! :banana:

SIGguy229

Just think....had he said *nothing*, it would not have been an issue.

You are **NOT** legally obligated to disclose to a LEO you have a firearm. I would have just taken the ticket.

**NOTE: Thanks to nova for pointing that out...typed too fast...but that is what I meant....

Last edited:

nova

Just think....had he said *nothing*, it would not have been an issue.

You are you legally obligated to disclose to a LEO you have a firearm. I would have just taken the ticket.
did you mean to say "not" legally obligated?

One must produce their CHP if asked by a LEO but one does not have to voluntarily inform the LEO if they're carrying or not.

CRF250rider1000

One must produce their CHP if asked by a LEO but one does not have to voluntarily inform the LEO if they're carrying or not.

Just to clarify, when the officer runs you in his computer it will show that you have a CHP. If he asks for it you must produce it but as nova said you do not have to inform him that you are in fact carrying, only that you have your CHP on you.

TFred

Just to clarify, when the officer runs you in his computer it will show that you have a CHP. If he asks for it you must produce it but as nova said you do not have to inform him that you are in fact carrying, only that you have your CHP on you.
We went round-and-round with this a few months ago. The current state of the law is a Catch-22. You are not required to display your CHP unless you are carrying a concealed handgun. No law requires you to divulge the fact that you are carrying a concealed handgun.

TFred