Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Nekoosa man stabbed while hunting

  1. #1
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879

    Nekoosa man stabbed while hunting

    I wonder what the DNR would have to say about this. Presumably he was bow hunting so without a gun for protection.

    http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/a...-while-hunting

    SNIP:
    OASIS — A 33-year-old Nekoosa man was stabbed Monday evening while hunting in the town of Oasis in northern Waushara County.

    Timothy L. Wolfe was stabbed at least once by an unknown male on hunting property Wolfe’s family leases, according to a Waushara County Sheriff’s news release issued tonight.

    He also suffered multiple serious but not life threatening injuries, authorities said.
    Wolfe was hunting when he was confronted by an unknown male. They fought, and police say, Wolfe was stabbed with the unknown attacker’s knife.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    This is horrible! I think everybody should have to get a permit and take mandatory training before they are allowed to carry a hunting knife or use a steak knife for dinner. I'm being facetious of course, but this article just highlights the fact that a person bent on mayhem will use the most convienient implement available.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Please be careful. It may be that the most effective convenient implement is regulated for just that reason.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709
    It is NOT illegal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting, it is illegal to use a sidearm for hunting during the bow season.

    During hunting season, I NEVER go afield without my friends Smith and Wesson along with several rounds of .44-Mag.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by bnhcomputing View Post
    It is NOT illegal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting, it is illegal to use a sidearm for hunting during the bow season.

    During hunting season, I NEVER go afield without my friends Smith and Wesson along with several rounds of .44-Mag.
    In Wisconsin this is true, but in Minnesota it is a different story.

    • A person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a
    firearm.
    Page 92 of the 2010 Hunting and Trapping Regulations
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/reg.../full_regs.pdf

    ( How's that for a citation?)

    Minnesota Bow Hunters will need to get some speedloaders for their bows!! We would need to be careful that this kind of "infringement" does not happen to Wisconsin hunters.

  6. #6
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    A person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a firearm.
    So before you loose the string, set the gun on the ground, or the seat next to you, or some such.
    Satisfies the letter of the (stupid) law.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709
    The citation has to do with MN, and is not relevant to the OP as this happened in WI. In WI, we CAN carry.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by bnhcomputing View Post
    The citation has to do with MN, and is not relevant to the OP as this happened in WI. In WI, we CAN carry.
    yet one should still be prepared to receive a citation from a DNR warden who is ignorant of the law he is supposed to be enforcing.
    just recently a friend of mine was told by a DNR warden that he could not legally have a holstered handgun with him anywhere in the woods if he is not hunting game with the proper license. This was in regards to a question about cutting firewood where a local wolf pack has killed several hunting dogs recently.
    I properly informed this person the warden was confused and offered to go with him while armed and even told him to invite the warden to come pay a visit.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    yet one should still be prepared to receive a citation from a DNR warden who is ignorant of the law he is supposed to be enforcing.
    just recently a friend of mine was told by a DNR warden that he could not legally have a holstered handgun with him anywhere in the woods if he is not hunting game with the proper license. This was in regards to a question about cutting firewood where a local wolf pack has killed several hunting dogs recently.
    I properly informed this person the warden was confused and offered to go with him while armed and even told him to invite the warden to come pay a visit.
    If anybody runs into a DNR warden who wants to act like the Madison Police Chief, then I would hope said warden would meet the same fate!

  10. #10
    Regular Member Krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    yet one should still be prepared to receive a citation from a DNR warden who is ignorant of the law he is supposed to be enforcing.
    just recently a friend of mine was told by a DNR warden that he could not legally have a holstered handgun with him anywhere in the woods if he is not hunting game with the proper license. This was in regards to a question about cutting firewood where a local wolf pack has killed several hunting dogs recently.
    I properly informed this person the warden was confused and offered to go with him while armed and even told him to invite the warden to come pay a visit.
    Point the warden towards Article 1, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •