• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nekoosa man stabbed while hunting

anmut

I wonder what the DNR would have to say about this. Presumably he was bow hunting so without a gun for protection.

http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/...1019136/New-Nekoosa-man-stabbed-while-hunting

SNIP:
OASIS — A 33-year-old Nekoosa man was stabbed Monday evening while hunting in the town of Oasis in northern Waushara County.

Timothy L. Wolfe was stabbed at least once by an unknown male on hunting property Wolfe’s family leases, according to a Waushara County Sheriff’s news release issued tonight.

He also suffered multiple serious but not life threatening injuries, authorities said.
Wolfe was hunting when he was confronted by an unknown male. They fought, and police say, Wolfe was stabbed with the unknown attacker’s knife.

Captain Nemo

This is horrible! I think everybody should have to get a permit and take mandatory training before they are allowed to carry a hunting knife or use a steak knife for dinner. I'm being facetious of course, but this article just highlights the fact that a person bent on mayhem will use the most convienient implement available.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
It is NOT illegal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting, it is illegal to use a sidearm for hunting during the bow season.

During hunting season, I NEVER go afield without my friends Smith and Wesson along with several rounds of .44-Mag.

phred

It is NOT illegal to carry a sidearm while bow hunting, it is illegal to use a sidearm for hunting during the bow season.

During hunting season, I NEVER go afield without my friends Smith and Wesson along with several rounds of .44-Mag.

In Wisconsin this is true, but in Minnesota it is a different story.

• A person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a
firearm.

Page 92 of the 2010 Hunting and Trapping Regulations
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/hunting/2010/full_regs.pdf

( How's that for a citation?)

Minnesota Bow Hunters will need to get some speedloaders for their bows!! We would need to be careful that this kind of "infringement" does not happen to Wisconsin hunters.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
The citation has to do with MN, and is not relevant to the OP as this happened in WI. In WI, we CAN carry.
yet one should still be prepared to receive a citation from a DNR warden who is ignorant of the law he is supposed to be enforcing.
just recently a friend of mine was told by a DNR warden that he could not legally have a holstered handgun with him anywhere in the woods if he is not hunting game with the proper license. This was in regards to a question about cutting firewood where a local wolf pack has killed several hunting dogs recently.
I properly informed this person the warden was confused and offered to go with him while armed and even told him to invite the warden to come pay a visit.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
yet one should still be prepared to receive a citation from a DNR warden who is ignorant of the law he is supposed to be enforcing.
just recently a friend of mine was told by a DNR warden that he could not legally have a holstered handgun with him anywhere in the woods if he is not hunting game with the proper license. This was in regards to a question about cutting firewood where a local wolf pack has killed several hunting dogs recently.
I properly informed this person the warden was confused and offered to go with him while armed and even told him to invite the warden to come pay a visit.

If anybody runs into a DNR warden who wants to act like the Madison Police Chief, then I would hope said warden would meet the same fate!

Krusty

Point the warden towards Article 1, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution.