• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brandishing a ... finger?

NovaCop

I have a case currently in the works that I brought before the court which deals with this thread. It's more than a "finger point" but less than a real, working handgun (the brandishing charge by me was up'ed by the Commonwealth's Attorney to "using a firearm (or something similar in appearance) in the commission of a felony" which is 2 year mandatory minimum sentence in prison. I hate to be so generic, but I won't provide any further information because it's an active case and involves a lot more than what was hinted. I have gone back and forth in my mind about brandishing. I still can't come up with a certain "line to draw". For me, it depends on the circumstances.

I have been told by the Commonwealth Attorney there is recent case law to say that brandishing does not need to be an actual firearm capable of shooting. He went further to state that there is a case being reviewed that may change case law, and should be decided in the next month or so. Sorry, I wish I would've asked which case it was.

When it comes to someone using a "finger" to portray they have a firearm, I highly doubt you would get a brandishing charge. With that said, I think that someone using a finger as a firearm (tucked in the shirt, etc) is liable to be treated by someone who believes they have a firearm. Example, If you are walking down the street and someone uses their finger to "display" they have a gun and demand your money... you would be legally justified in shooting that person. In most instances, brandishing (a class 1 misdemeanor) isn't debated because more serious charges are pending in a situation. Usually, using a "finger" to display you have a weapon will involve more serious charges.

NovaCop

I have a case currently in the works that I brought before the court which deals with this thread. It's more than a "finger point" but less than a real, working handgun (the brandishing charge by me was up'ed by the Commonwealth's Attorney to "using a firearm (or something similar in appearance) in the commission of a felony" which is 2 year mandatory minimum sentence in prison. I hate to be so generic, but I won't provide any further information because it's an active case and involves a lot more than what was hinted. I have gone back and forth in my mind about brandishing. I still can't come up with a certain "line to draw". For me, it depends on the circumstances.

I have been told by the Commonwealth Attorney there is recent case law to say that brandishing does not need to be an actual firearm capable of shooting. He went further to state that there is a case being reviewed that may change case law, and should be decided in the next month or so. Sorry, I wish I would've asked which case it was.

When it comes to someone using a "finger" to portray they have a firearm, I highly doubt you would get a brandishing charge. With that said, I think that someone using a finger as a firearm (tucked in the shirt, etc) is liable to be treated by someone who believes they have a firearm. Example, If you are walking down the street and someone uses their finger to "display" they have a gun and demand your money... you would be legally justified in shooting that person. In most instances, brandishing (a class 1 misdemeanor) isn't debated because more serious charges are pending in a situation. Usually, using a "finger" to display you have a weapon will involve more serious charges.

Keep in mind... "charged with" is a lot different than what someone is "convicted of".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Using a "digital display" will never endear you to your audience and may get you more attention than you wish.

jmb_nova

So what if you point a finger at someone as IF to make like you have a weapon... but the whole time you were CCing... Would that have any impact if drama was made over the event?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So what if you point a finger at someone as IF to make like you have a weapon... but the whole time you were CCing... Would that have any impact if drama was made over the event?

Good question - I think it could have, particularly if you later felt the need to draw your gun. No doubt if your perceived intent was to intimidate someone, it might come back to haunt you..

Simple answer - I never joke about or make light of guns/carrying.

papa bear

Jensen-the-losers-11568870-1919-792.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good question - I think it could have, particularly if you later felt the need to draw your gun. No doubt if your perceived intent was to intimidate someone, it might come back to haunt you..

Simple answer - I never joke about or make light of guns/carrying.

I think it would certainly enhance the threat.

I don't know if they still do it but gang wannabees used to parade around with a cartridge in their teeth. The rumor was that they were supposed to shoot the first person who said something about it.

I guess that wasn't true because I used to make "Shooting off your mouth" jokes and never got shot.

Anyway...if one of them had a visible gun, I would have been concerned.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
yeah there would have to be something besides someone randomly just making a "gun" with their fingers.

A visible and obviously pointed finger, rough stick, bunch of uncooked spaghetti would not IMO qualify for brandishing.

Any of these from inside a sweat shirt pocket would likely skip brandishing and go directly to threat with a deadly weapon when coupled with perceived threat/intent by a reasonable person.

The details not only house the devil, but many sharp fish hooks too. :uhoh:

kenny

I brandished a finger one time and the wife pulled it and I darn near sharted. I learned my lesson the hard way that what you think may be a big bag of wind really has true depth and meaning.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I brandished a finger one time and the wife pulled it and I darn near sharted. I learned my lesson the hard way that what you think may be a big bag of wind really has true depth and meaning.

Give the enemy more credit than they deserve and be pleasantly surprised when they do not warrant it.

Give your friends less of the same, but do not be surprised when they exceed expectations.

The difference between an enemy and a friend depends on whether or not your eyes are open and "seeing."

Save both in your experience archives, to be drawn upon as needed.

wylde007

Prepare copies of all of these (even the magic negro) for use as evidence to the defense.

Except that whenever the usurper wags his finger I DO feel threatened. I feel my rights, my heritage and my future threatened by his very existence.