Thread: How old do you have to be to openly carry a handgun in NC?

How old do you have to be to openly carry a handgun in NC?

Im an active duty MP at Fort Bragg but im only 19 and i was wondering how old do you have to be to legally open carry a handgun?

Welcome to OCDO.

The answer to your question is 18 years old. However, you could probably have used the forum search to find your answer. Try to use the search first in the future so you don't ask questions which are easy to answer and have almost certainly been answered before.

Again, welcome to OCDO.

18 years old, as long as your not a felon. It has to be open carry though, since you need to be 21 to get a CHP.

Can't carry whenever an admission is charged, can't carry in a place that sells *and* consumes alcohol, and can't carry in schools and some other places.

Check the door before you go in, they'll say if you can carry or not (some only say no concealed carry).

Just FYI - IANAL
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

I did look in other forums but some people said 18 others said 21 and i even called the Sherriffs dept and they said they think it is 21 to open carry???

mattwestm
    Never call any law enforcement to ask about laws!

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    Yea, cause some of em' will just give you their opinion and not the law!!!
    "God, Guns, & Guts Made America, Lets Use All 3!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    True story. 18 to OC. 18 to buy from a private party. 21 to concealed carry. 21 to buy from FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    True story. 18 to OC. 18 to buy from a private party. 21 to concealed carry. 21 to buy from FFL.
    What he said...that is correct

High Point, North Carolina, United States
    but make sure you leave your middle finger at home

According to North Carolina law a pistol purchase permit is required even for sale from a private individual. So while it IS legal to open carry at 18 and while technically legal for me to GIVE a pistol to one of my children they must have a pistol purchase permit for me to do so.

I have looked into this and the law is quite clear about that. Technically a county sheriff could issue a pistol purchase permit to someone under the age of 21 but over 18 for the purpose of gifting a handgun to my son, as far as I know none will.

Until he is 21 my Marine Corps son has a pistol on loan to him. 1911, of course.

I will be happy to cite the laws if required, but it is quite easy to lookup.

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/images/200...Laws%20Pub.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by moonie View Post
    According to North Carolina law a pistol purchase permit is required even for sale from a private individual. So while it IS legal to open carry at 18 and while technically legal for me to GIVE a pistol to one of my children they must have a pistol purchase permit for me to do so.

I have looked into this and the law is quite clear about that. Technically a county sheriff could issue a pistol purchase permit to someone under the age of 21 but over 18 for the purpose of gifting a handgun to my son, as far as I know none will.
    If you are temporarily loaning, the loanee does not need a pistol purchase permit, since you aren't giving the pistol, just loaning it. Same as driving someone else's car.

If you are between 18 and 21 you most certainly can get a pistol purchase permit and buy your own pistol private party. They (your local sheriff's office) cannot deny the permit if one meets the criteria.

Here's a copy of mine, that I got from the Moore County Sheriff's Office earlier this year, while I was 19:

and the pistol I bought (from a chief of police at a local municipality) and carry regularly (20 now)

SNIP
    and the pistol I bought (from a chief of police at a local municipality) and carry regularly (20 now)
    calynn, is that the Chief's Special .45?

If you are temporarily loaning, the loanee does not need a pistol purchase permit, since you aren't giving the pistol, just loaning it. Same as driving someone else's car.

If you are between 18 and 21 you most certainly can get a pistol purchase permit and buy your own pistol private party. They (your local sheriff's office) cannot deny the permit if one meets the criteria.

Here's a copy of mine, that I got from the Moore County Sheriff's Office earlier this year, while I was 19:

I see the SD asked for the Serial numbers off the gun you was gonna to buy.

Did me the same way.

I was inheriting a handgun (Though I ended up still having to pay for it.)

Yep, they wanted the seller's info too... so I wrote it down for them, even though they know all his info :/

No, it's not the Chief's Special, when he bought this, he wasn't the Chief, but he was my step-dad. Haha, it's a 4006, very heavy, built like a tank.

No, it's not the Chief's Special, when he bought this, he wasn't the Chief, but he was my step-dad. Haha, it's a 4006, very heavy, built like a tank.
    Thanks, appreciate it.

Here is a copy of my permit I got when I was 19
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT   FOR OCDO.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	4356  

Ole Mr. Carter's signature sure was different between our two permits eh?

Ole Mr. Carter's signature sure was different between our two permits eh?
    Sure Is LOL.

WHen you went how long did it take you to get your permit? If you dont mind me asking.
    Last edited by hotrod8812; 10-29-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Didn't get an email about your post, but it was pretty short... not even a week (turned in on Friday or Saturday, called back on Tuesday/Wednesday). I see mine was issued before your's. Does that mean I was the first??

Didn't get an email about your post, but it was pretty short... not even a week (turned in on Friday or Saturday, called back on Tuesday/Wednesday). I see mine was issued before your's. Does that mean I was the first??
    I dont know, I went in February the 26 2010 too ask about getting a permit Mr carter said he would have to check into and see in what situations permits could be issued to persons under 21 told me too call back in a few days.
    I called like 5days later they said my permit would be ready in 7 to 10 days (If I remember correctly)If everything checked out OK on my back ground check.

I didnt get in to pick up my permit till march Because I was in SC working.
    Last edited by hotrod8812; 11-04-2010 at 01:33 PM.