• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How old do you have to be to openly carry a handgun in NC?

sultan62

Welcome to OCDO.

The answer to your question is 18 years old. However, you could probably have used the forum search to find your answer. Try to use the search first in the future so you don't ask questions which are easy to answer and have almost certainly been answered before.

Again, welcome to OCDO.

elixin77

18 years old, as long as your not a felon. It has to be open carry though, since you need to be 21 to get a CHP.

Can't carry whenever an admission is charged, can't carry in a place that sells *and* consumes alcohol, and can't carry in schools and some other places.

Check the door before you go in, they'll say if you can carry or not (some only say no concealed carry).

Just FYI - IANAL

moonie

According to North Carolina law a pistol purchase permit is required even for sale from a private individual. So while it IS legal to open carry at 18 and while technically legal for me to GIVE a pistol to one of my children they must have a pistol purchase permit for me to do so.

I have looked into this and the law is quite clear about that. Technically a county sheriff could issue a pistol purchase permit to someone under the age of 21 but over 18 for the purpose of gifting a handgun to my son, as far as I know none will.

Until he is 21 my Marine Corps son has a pistol on loan to him. 1911, of course.

I will be happy to cite the laws if required, but it is quite easy to lookup.

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/images/2007 NC Firearms Laws Pub.pdf

calynn

According to North Carolina law a pistol purchase permit is required even for sale from a private individual. So while it IS legal to open carry at 18 and while technically legal for me to GIVE a pistol to one of my children they must have a pistol purchase permit for me to do so.

I have looked into this and the law is quite clear about that. Technically a county sheriff could issue a pistol purchase permit to someone under the age of 21 but over 18 for the purpose of gifting a handgun to my son, as far as I know none will.

If you are temporarily loaning, the loanee does not need a pistol purchase permit, since you aren't giving the pistol, just loaning it. Same as driving someone else's car.

If you are between 18 and 21 you most certainly can get a pistol purchase permit and buy your own pistol private party. They (your local sheriff's office) cannot deny the permit if one meets the criteria.

Here's a copy of mine, that I got from the Moore County Sheriff's Office earlier this year, while I was 19:

DSCN2120-Photoshopped.jpg

and the pistol I bought (from a chief of police at a local municipality) and carry regularly (20 now)

DSCN2118-Chopped.jpg

hotrod08

If you are temporarily loaning, the loanee does not need a pistol purchase permit, since you aren't giving the pistol, just loaning it. Same as driving someone else's car.

If you are between 18 and 21 you most certainly can get a pistol purchase permit and buy your own pistol private party. They (your local sheriff's office) cannot deny the permit if one meets the criteria.

Here's a copy of mine, that I got from the Moore County Sheriff's Office earlier this year, while I was 19:

DSCN2120-Photoshopped.jpg

and the pistol I bought (from a chief of police at a local municipality) and carry regularly (20 now)

DSCN2118-Chopped.jpg

I see the SD asked for the Serial numbers off the gun you was gonna to buy.

Did me the same way.

I was inheriting a handgun (Though I ended up still having to pay for it.)

calynn

Yep, they wanted the seller's info too... so I wrote it down for them, even though they know all his info :/

No, it's not the Chief's Special, when he bought this, he wasn't the Chief, but he was my step-dad. Haha, it's a 4006, very heavy, built like a tank.

hotrod08

Here is a copy of my permit I got when I was 19

Attachments

• HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT   FOR OCDO.jpg
    HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT FOR OCDO.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,616

calynn

Didn't get an email about your post, but it was pretty short... not even a week (turned in on Friday or Saturday, called back on Tuesday/Wednesday). I see mine was issued before your's. Does that mean I was the first?? :p

hotrod08

Didn't get an email about your post, but it was pretty short... not even a week (turned in on Friday or Saturday, called back on Tuesday/Wednesday). I see mine was issued before your's. Does that mean I was the first?? :p

I dont know, I went in February the 26 2010 too ask about getting a permit Mr carter said he would have to check into and see in what situations permits could be issued to persons under 21 told me too call back in a few days.
I called like 5days later they said my permit would be ready in 7 to 10 days (If I remember correctly)If everything checked out OK on my back ground check.

I didnt get in to pick up my permit till march Because I was in SC working.

Last edited: