• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Religious Denominations/Bodies

Haz.

+1

God gave us reason, not religion.

Well said.

From what read in the Bible it is written that every human being has a body, soul, and spirit.

Scriptures teach that the soul is that invisible part of all living beings that feels, the seat of his affections, emotions, passions, and desires, and which gives him self-consciousness and makes him a sentient being (Lev. 23:43; 1 Sam. 22;2; 30:6; 2 Sam. 13:39; 2 Kings 4:27; 23:3; Ps. 107:5, 9, 18, 26; Mark 12:33; Matt. 26:38; John 12:27; Heb. 10: 38; Heb. 4:12).

With all these God created passions, emotions and desires and the fact that we are self-conscious sentient beings, somewhere in all that is the natural act of self preservation. Only a fool would place their hand in a raging furnace, or jump off a high building to experience flying whilst praying that his God will protect him from harm. Haz.

SFCRetired

Well said.

From what read in the Bible it is written that every human being has a body, soul, and spirit.

Scriptures teach that the soul is that invisible part of all living beings that feels, the seat of his affections, emotions, passions, and desires, and which gives him self-consciousness and makes him a sentient being (Lev. 23:43; 1 Sam. 22;2; 30:6; 2 Sam. 13:39; 2 Kings 4:27; 23:3; Ps. 107:5, 9, 18, 26; Mark 12:33; Matt. 26:38; John 12:27; Heb. 10: 38; Heb. 4:12).

With all these God created passions, emotions and desires and the fact that we are self-conscious sentient beings, somewhere in all that is the natural act of self preservation. Only a fool would place their hand in a raging furnace, or jump off a high building to experience flying whilst praying that his God will protect him from harm. Haz.

Right on the money, Haz. "For it is written, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God".

I attend the church I do because they have an excellent English as a second language program for my wife. They also have an excellent ministry for those of her ethnic background. I will not make her unhappy by refusing to attend with her, but I will refuse any sort of financial support.

My next step is to send a letter to the governing body with a copy to my pastor explaining why I will no longer contribute any support.

For all who responded to my basic question: Thank you. You have given me even more to think about.

Haz, when are you going to come to the States?

Haz.

Hi 'SFCRetired.'

I wish I was there now. I would be there to-morrow if it was possible. I have many grandchildren and my dear wife now has to have both her knees replaced. (Arthritus). She will need to recover from that, but as soon as my wife gets over this and my littles are flying on their own I will be there. Kind regards, Haz.

25sierraman

I was raised a Mennonite/Quaker........ Now i open carry and I'm also on active duty in the Army. All of that pacifism didn't really last too long for me. I don't regularly attend church anymore.

Edit for spelling error.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

I suspect a lot of folks on here belong to one or the other religious affiliations. Which one is none of mine or anyone else's business.

What I would like to ask those of you who have a religious affiliation is, "What is your particular group's stand on firearms/Second Amendment issues?"

My reason for asking is this: I was shocked and dismayed to find that the body with which I am currently affiliated is very anti-gun and, in fact, backs the UN treaty that is nothing but a gun grab. I won't, as yet, dissolve my association because of other, personal, considerations, but they will not get any financial support from me.

Before anyone asks, yes, my pastor is very much aware of my feelings in this matter.

Mine is 100% pro firearms. Of course the total membership is ONE and invitations are NOT being issued.

I ABHOR organized religions. There have been more people murdered in the name of religion than for any other "reason".

:cool:

frommycolddeadhands

I'm a devout Christian, but I don't belong to any particular church. Like Haz I read the Bible and learn things for myself. There are plenty of scriptures that support the right to self defense. Moses led armies through Canaan. David slew Goliath using a sling (an ancient projectile weapon that slung small 'missiles' that could either be stone, lead, or other heavy metal), Sampson whupped the tar out of the Philistines even unto his dying breath. Even Christ threw the money changers out of the temple, and the disciples were known to throw down every now and again. There are many many scriptures about righteous men standing against the wicked, and arming yourself to make to stand up for good in this world.

All in all I don't think the good Lord has any problem with self defense in any form, whether it be by sword or gun.

Haz.

I'm a devout Christian, but I don't belong to any particular church. Like Haz I read the Bible and learn things for myself. There are plenty of scriptures that support the right to self defense. Moses led armies through Canaan. David slew Goliath using a sling (an ancient projectile weapon that slung small 'missiles' that could either be stone, lead, or other heavy metal), Sampson whupped the tar out of the Philistines even unto his dying breath. Even Christ threw the money changers out of the temple, and the disciples were known to throw down every now and again. There are many many scriptures about righteous men standing against the wicked, and arming yourself to make to stand up for good in this world.

All in all I don't think the good Lord has any problem with self defense in any form, whether it be by sword or gun.

He not only drove the money changers out of the temple, upturning the heavy solid wooden tables, He was no limp wristed little baby Jesus as fundamental Christianity teaches.

"And when he had made a scourge of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;" (John 2:15).

He also made a WHIP and flogged them out! He also advised his followers that if they never had a sword, sell their garments and buy one. Not for decoration, purley for self defence!

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."(Luke 22:36).

Haz.

Mine is 100% pro firearms. Of course the total membership is ONE and invitations are NOT being issued.

I ABHOR organized religions. There have been more people murdered in the name of religion than for any other "reason".

:cool:

So do I and I agree. I bet if Christ was to return to-day and began showing the leaders of organized religion all their faults, they would be plotting His demise and would be nailing him on a tree within a week, Lol. Haz.

frommycolddeadhands

He not only drove the money changers out of the temple, upturning the heavy solid wooden tables, He was no limp wristed little baby Jesus as fundamental Christianity teaches.

"And when he had made a scourge of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;" (John 2:15).

He also made a WHIP and flogged them out! He also advised his followers that if they never had a sword, sell their garments and buy one. Not for decoration, purley for self defence!

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."(Luke 22:36).

Opened up a righteous can of whupass is what he done. :)

Haz.

He sure gave it to them.

When I see pictures and statues of Christ in the churches these days I see a long haired whimpy looking guy with smooth powder white unblemished skin, long slender hands, manicured fingernails on delicate fingers, beautiful red lips, cheek gloss, waxed eyelashes and dressed in flowing robes, and he has beautifully cut hair and a perfectly trimmed beard, and he looks like he is in dream-land, and I think to myself, was this guy a carpenter?

He looks like one of those girly boys from the Asian night clubs.

Thats how the churches portray him any way. Little baby Jesus wouldnt hurt a fly, or Gentle Jesus meek and mild? What a crock.

Most carpenters I know are tough muscular guys with rough hands , have a box of tools at the ready, enjoy a beer, they are usually tanned, and they look like they mean business.

frommycolddeadhands

Something that might interest you Haz, I think Christ was actually a Rabbi by trade, although his father was a carpenter.

Check it out next time you study the scripture. Makes a lot more sense why he had access to the temple, the purple robe, and why people constanlty called him 'Teacher' (translation: Rabbi in hebrew)

Just a thought.

KansasMustang

If you study it is written that his followers called him Rabbi. Teacher etc. His initial profession was as a carpenter as was his "Father" Joseph. But when he reached the age of 30 which was when The Jewish faith of the time considered an "Elder" then he went on his ministry. Having met John the Baptist and submitting to the baptism of his ordenance, John had said I baptise with water, the one that follows after me will baptise with his blood. or words to that affect (Haven't got my good book handy)
I only know that the denominations that preach "Social Justice" and "collective salvation", well,,run for the hills from them.

Dreamer

My last Church was Methodist. And I was quite disappointed to find out the official stance is quite anti gun.

I'm not trying to come across as bashing the UMC, but it seems there are quite a few Methodists on this forum that are unaware of the UMC's official position on firearm ownership.

So in the interest of following the rules on this forum, here are a few official citations of UMC policy:

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/site/apps/nl/content3.asp?c=frLJK2PKLqF&b=3631781&ct=4108477

http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=4&mid=937

http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=16&mid=4928

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/site/apps/nlnet/content3.aspx?c=frLJK2PKLqF&b=2837503&ct=4108477&notoc=1

http://blogs.jta.org/politics/artic...-opposes-effort-to-undermine-dc-firearms-laws

http://www.pinkpistols.org/antigun.html

Haz.

I'm not trying to come across as bashing the UMC, but it seems there are quite a few Methodists on this forum that are unaware of the UMC's official position on firearm ownership.

So in the interest of following the rules on this forum, here are a few official citations of UMC policy:

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/site/apps/nl/content3.asp?c=frLJK2PKLqF&b=3631781&ct=4108477

http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=4&mid=937

http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=16&mid=4928

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/site/apps/nlnet/content3.aspx?c=frLJK2PKLqF&b=2837503&ct=4108477&notoc=1

http://blogs.jta.org/politics/artic...-opposes-effort-to-undermine-dc-firearms-laws

http://www.pinkpistols.org/antigun.html

They obviously dont know the Bible they bash people with, I mean preach. The first link speaks of a time in the future, Micah 4:1. They fail to mention Micah 1:1, in the last days???

The second link,

"Violence and, more particularly, violence to children and youth is a primary concern for United Methodists. We recognize and deplore violence which kills and injures children and youth. In the name of Christ, who came so that persons might know abundant life, we call upon the church to affirm its faith through vigorous efforts to curb and eliminate gun violence."

And we dont? Again, a whole lot of mumbo jumbo from a mob believing they are holier than thou. Christ Himself told His disciples to sell their garment if they had no sword, and BUY ONE! (Luke 22:36). Obviously the Methodists dont read their Bibles, well at least what they dont want to hear? The Australian government banned firearms, knives, and the use of either for self defence and our crime rate, especially crime involving firearms and knives has risen dramaticly.

The third link,

"The law even allows people to carry guns into a house of worship without penalty if the house of worship does not follow an elaborate notification system."

Again, methodists, Jesus Christ Himself, personally advised His own desciples before he sent them out to preach the good news, TO ARM THEMSELVES, (Luke 22:36). Cant get any closer to God and Godly worship than to be with the one in who's Name we pray.

Can you hear the disciples answering Jesus, "Ohhhh-Noooo Jesus, we should be banning swords, beating them into plough sheers." I hate all ministers who preach B-S their brethern.

Fourth link,

Same as the first. We are not yet living in the Last days, God has not yet set up His kingdom, rebellion and the sin business has not yet been iliminated. God expects us to defend ourselves untill at least then. " A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring." (Proverbs 25:26).

Most church ministers, at least those that I have met, wouldnt work in an iron lung? Whimpy weasly looking dudes with smerks on theirown faces whenever they quote scriptures which are quoted only to instill fear, instill a state of bondage between themselves and their flock, and direct regular income toward themselves, and they are these who would run and stand behind a child to protect themselves. I mean, they dont even mow their own front lawns, or their churches. Bunch of sad sacks. Haz.

Xulld

I currently do not subscribe to any religious affiliate... however I was raised in a Christian home where guns were not tolerated. We were taught to rely on God to protect us... owning a handgun would have spat in His face because it meant we did not have faith in Him to protect us from evil.

Okay so that's a bit of a dramatic take on it... but that was the basic idea.

I was also raised in such a home. My mother for years and years believed that faith, and good thoughts would bring good things.

We became very very poor for a while, and she consistently blamed herself for not having a strong enough faith.

One day I woke up and opened the morning news paper to find my teenage girl friend who I loved dearly on the front page as a murder victim, my mother was very close to her and it effected us both greatly and continue to this day. She knew without a doubt that this girl was a fantastic human being and it troubled her that god would allow her to be to violently hurt and murdered.

That and a few very close calls with thugs in the ghetto of a neighborhood we lived in pushed her over the edge to realize that we must protect ourselves, she has never lost faith, but she has realized how naive her previous position was. She now has a revolver near her bedside. I EDC my glock and she understands.

Last edited: