• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pick your hunting poison

Smith & Wesson

What rifle do you like to use to deer hunt with and what state do you choose to hunt in?

I like to use a Savage .308 Bolt Action with Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 Long-range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope and Winchester .308 7.62x51mm NATO rounds hunting in Carter County Ky. At 600 yards bullet drop is zero. I love this gun and shoot it more then I do my SW40VE pistol I carry on my side.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
My "rifle" of choice in Washington State was a 7-1/2" Ruger Redhawk, .44 magnum. I bagged one deer there in 2 years.

Mmm... Loved the stews.

If you'd like a less sporting rig, I can recommend something capable out to 1,000 yds, lol..

- mugs

Last edited:

BJA

Campaign Veteran
I use a Marlin 336c 30-30 170 grain powerpoint; my AKM 7.62x39mm (WASR-10) full 30 round magazine, a shot or two for the deer and the rest for what ever else I may face wolves, bear etc.....; and my remington 870 with rifled choke tube and slugs. The use of each depends when, where, and how I am hunting.

Last edited:

Smith & Wesson

And you just told everybody on the internet that you break the law in Kentucky but you are so smart, so clever, so good looking, so important that nobody will notice. Smooth move genius.

Please explain how in any way I break the law in Kentucky... .308 you can buy at walmart just the same as the ammo. So please again, explain how I break the law.

Tawnos

Please explain how in any way I break the law in Kentucky... .308 you can buy at walmart just the same as the ammo. So please again, explain how I break the law.

http://fw.ky.gov/deerguide10deerhunting.asp

Illegal

Hunters shall not use any of the following to take deer:

• Firearms able to hold more than a total of 11 rounds (10 in magazine and one in chamber)

• A fully-automatic firearm (capable of firing more than one round with one trigger pull)

• Rimfire ammunition

• Multiple projectile ammunition (shotshells)

• Full metal jacketed or tracer bullet ammunition.

Smith & Wesson

Funny I've never had fish and game say a word one to me every time I turn the deer in with them and even had one go with me hunting before. Prolly a law not.very enforced.

Old Grump

Just because you can buy it legally and shoot it legally does not make it legal to use for hunting

I have yet to find a state that allows FMJ bullets for deer hunting. Different story when you your target is Hippopotamus, Rhinoceros, Elephant or Water Buffalo but not for medium sized thin skinned game like deer. No place zero zilch, nada, none.

You have been lucky, one hard core game warden happens to see what you are using you are toast. I'm betting that none of the people checking your deer asked what kind of bullet you used and you have been lucky if all your shots have been kill shots. The reason you 'DO NOT' use hardball ammo is because it is non sporting, it can easily wound a deer with a through and through shot, not enough to stop it from getting away but bad enough it will die hours or days later in pain.

That is how you are breaking the law and why the law exists.

Stop trying to defend you use of it, put what you have on the shelf for target practice and get legal ammo for your rifle because you luck won't last forever.

Daylen

FMJ is sporting to use. The problem is it is much harder to get a clean kill with FMJ than hollow points or soft points or the fancy controlled expansion rounds.

As far as states where its legal to use FMJ, MS has no law or reg that I can find prohibiting its use.

chiefjason

I'm hunting in NC. We are getting ready to start muzzleloader season. Shooting a Remington Genesis 50cal with fibre optic sites. Rifle season will be my Remington ADL .270 with Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40. I've been slinging arrows at them with a Matthews Conquest III with no luck so far. A couple of hits, lots of tracking, and no meat.

Smith & Wesson

I'm hunting in NC. We are getting ready to start muzzleloader season. Shooting a Remington Genesis 50cal with fibre optic sites. Rifle season will be my Remington ADL .270 with Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40. I've been slinging arrows at them with a Matthews Conquest III with no luck so far. A couple of hits, lots of tracking, and no meat.

That sucks about the arrows but good luck with your muzzle loader.

About my other post, the point of me making this thread was to see what others liked to use in a sport i love. Not to get flammed on by a couple forum tough guys. But anyways, yes i have been very careful in chooseing a kill shot because i was always taught by my father to make sure it will be a kill shot berore i pull the trigger. And as far as useing the wrong ammo, was unaware I could not use FMJ and thank you for those being polite in correcting me. I have put the aside and selected a hollow point for all my soon to be adventures. Please keep posting what you love to shoot with and where you choose to hunt.

OCglock1988

I don't yet have a deer rifle, but I do have an old Mathews Q2xl bow that I used to take a doe in late September.(Southeast WI) Anyone else here love the serenity and challenge of Bowhunting?

OCglock1988

How far were your shots and what type of broadhead and draw weight are you shootin?

SavageOne

My deer gun is my Savage 24F .223/12ga over and under. I love this gun, with a rifled choke tube I am six inches high at 100 yds. I do have to be very sure of my shots with the .223, but that's just part of hunting. I'm using Barnes
Triple Expanders for the .223 and Remington Managed Recoil Buckhammers for the 12ga. I have a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 scope on it, that really gathers the light. This gun is my favorite firearm(thus the screen name) and is a great all around firearm, the only drawback is it's HEAVY. It's like toting a Garand around.

1245A Defender

old school

now days many budget guys are buying moson gnatss----spelling!! 7.62x54.
back in 1975 when i bout a cheap gun for hunting, many mausers were available,
8mmx57 JS, mine cost 80 at a pawn shop.
in power it is a cross between a 30:06 and a 338 mag. bigger bullet, smaller case///
most ammo like remington is 170 gr at 2400 fps, soft point
i got norma mag, from sweeden 165gr at 2965 fps hollow point
in the years ive had it, i sporterised the military stock,
i modified the thumb safety to left hand, low throw,
i turned down the bolt handle,
i had a gun smith drill and tap, and install see through mounts and top it with a 4x scope,
i got an after market sport stock, and a cheek piece ammo holder.
my barrel may have been shot out, as it whistled when you shot it, so
i found a new in cosmolean turkish barrel, 29 inches long, over all length is now 52!
recently i bought a 4-24x52 lighted retical sniper scope, had to modify the bases to raise
it high enough to clear my see through mounts. also a clamp on bi-pod for extra accuracy.
in 35 years my 80 buck gun is now worth about 300, it can reach out and touch what ever.
ive gone deer hunting many times over the years, not always a win.
ive NEVER shot AT a deer, that i didnt eat!!

Last edited:

SavageOne

you use FMJ for hunting!? WTF?

And you just told everybody on the internet that you break the law in Kentucky but you are so smart, so clever, so good looking, so important that nobody will notice. Smooth move genius.

http://fw.ky.gov/deerguide10deerhunting.asp

Illegal

Hunters shall not use any of the following to take deer:

• Firearms able to hold more than a total of 11 rounds (10 in magazine and one in chamber)

• A fully-automatic firearm (capable of firing more than one round with one trigger pull)

• Rimfire ammunition

• Multiple projectile ammunition (shotshells)

• Full metal jacketed or tracer bullet ammunition.

So are you guys going to tell us what you hunt with or were you more interested in trying to correct someone?

since9

Campaign Veteran

I know I risk offending you mightily by this, but I ask with all my heart, in the spirit of Robert Louis Stevenson, that you please take a class in English literature!

If you're offended by me, fine. I'll offer you the same curriculum which elevated me from the dregs to humanity back in 1977, a very easy and simple works involving two authors. If you complete that, I have more. If not, Kidnapped. Chaucer's tales (he has many), Whatever.

It'd open your eyes, ears and your heart.

Or not, if you don't choose to read it.

Your choice.