• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pick your hunting poison

1245A Defender

Wtf??

is my description of an old 8mm mauser so hard to read about?
is my poor spelling to hard to understand?
its just a homey tale about all the years, and the modifications, from time to time.
i dont spell well, but i try.
my punctuation,is not ever the best,

what is your point??

since9

Campaign Veteran
is my description of an old 8mm mauser so hard to read about?
is my poor spelling to hard to understand?
its just a homey tale about all the years, and the modifications, from time to time.
i dont spell well, but i try.
my punctuation,is not ever the best,

what is your point??

My point is that I love you like a brother, 1245A dender. I love what you stand for, and why you stand for it. I've reviewed your posts here, and for the most part, I believe in them.

What I don't believe it is simply me and you saying one thing and another.

Back in high school, my English teacher taught us all knucklehead's in his class Chaucer, and it changed our worlds. The AP class went on to do X, while we went on to do X+

I don't know if it's the English, the effort, or the desire to rise up, above, and beyond where some schmuck of societal arsfardal attempts to pigeonhole you, but the result is little different, eh? Ah, heh! Talk to me, people...

I'm all ears. We'll make a go of it, to be sure!

Tawnos

So are you guys going to tell us what you hunt with or were you more interested in trying to correct someone?

I'm just adding the [citation needed] for his post.

As for me, I'm using a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. This is my first year big game hunting, so far, nothing. In fact, I've seen more deer by my house than I have out hunting! Saw a beautiful 4x4 a couple blocks from here. Too bad there's no way to go after it :)

sultan62

I alternate between two, a Remington 700 .270 with a 3-9x40 Charles Daly scope and a Marlin 336 .30-30 with a Simmons 3-9x30 on raised mounts so I can still use the irons.

Smith & Wesson

Back when I first started hunting I was 13 in 1993. I used a Winchester 30-30 lever action that I still own today. No fancy scope just open sights. Used that for 12 years. Thats one gun Ill never sale or trade not because its not in production anymore but because my dad got it for me. I still own that, a Mossburge 12 gauge pump, and SKS 7.62, and a Deerhunter .50 cal muzzle loader. Hunted different types of animal with all of them.

Daylen

So are you guys going to tell us what you hunt with or were you more interested in trying to correct someone?

Since the thread is about what rifles used to hunt deer I thought it best not to reply as I do not hunt deer. Even though it keeps me up when I enjoy sleeping, I prefer to hunt predators. For Coyote I like variety of weapons depending on where I think I'll get a shot; Shotgun in the summer for stalking in the orchard, 30-30 for most other times. I will be trying 22lr now that its winter and that or #6 shot is the largest I can use at night. Course I don't usually take any shots, I try to have a friend or family member do the shooting so I can concentrate on talking the dogs in close enough for a shot.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I hunt antelope more than deer. I use a 700 CDL, .270 Win, 130 gr. softpoints. Nikon Monarch 3x9 does well out to 500 yds. When I do hunt deer, it's in thick pine. Then I use a Marlin 1894 LC in .357 Mag., 180 gr. cast or SJHP.

My better half just got a Cooper Classic in .270 Win. I will steal it from her when she turns around.

jayspapa

Being in Illinois , we don't get to use a rifle . I first started hunting deer in 1970 with a model 31 Remington 12Ga. pump. Killed an 8 pointer . It was a small one but for a 15 yr old kid ( almost 16 ) I was more than happy.

I am disabled now and no longer hunt but that shotgun sure let me bring home a lot of game.

OldCurlyWolf

What rifle do you like to use to deer hunt with and what state do you choose to hunt in?

I like to use a Savage .308 Bolt Action with Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 Long-range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope and Winchester .308 7.62x51mm NATO rounds hunting in Carter County Ky. At 600 yards bullet drop is zero. I love this gun and shoot it more then I do my SW40VE pistol I carry on my side.

You have ABSOLUTELY NO UNDERSTANDING of ballistics.

I am glad I do my hunting at least 800 miles away from you.

:uhoh:

eye95

What rifle do you like to use to deer hunt with and what state do you choose to hunt in?

I like to use a Savage .308 Bolt Action with Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 Long-range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope and Winchester .308 7.62x51mm NATO rounds hunting in Carter County Ky. At 600 yards bullet drop is zero. I love this gun and shoot it more then I do my SW40VE pistol I carry on my side.

You have ABSOLUTELY NO UNDERSTANDING of ballistics.

I am glad I do my hunting at least 800 miles away from you.

:uhoh:

To the nearest yard of drop, he may be correct. ;)

daddy4count

I don't yet have a deer rifle, but I do have an old Mathews Q2xl bow that I used to take a doe in late September.(Southeast WI) Anyone else here love the serenity and challenge of Bowhunting?
Hell yeah... which is why my poor Browning only sees the range once in a great while. I don't hunt deer... usually have a tag just in case, but I prefer chasing wapiti

There really is nothing comparable to stalking Elk atop the Cascade Mountain range with pointy sticks.

Archery hunting is what led me to my love of backpacking and the backcountry... I worship at the Church of Cameron Haynes, LOL

Walther

When I rifle hunt it is my Winchester model 70 in 300 WSM, I mostly hunt archery or with my muzzy.

frommycolddeadhands

Nothing fancy. My first firearm was a 12 ga semi-auto. Grandpa gave it to me when I turned 13. Used slugs the first few years I went hunting.

Later I inherited the great deer slayer, a 30-30 that had belonged to my Grandpa, then my Dad, and now to me. It's nothing fancy, just a regular lever action with a scope zeroed at 100 yards. I take leave and go home every year to the mountains of West Virginia, and there really isn't any need for sniper rifles up in the hills. A brush gun will get 'em every time.

Darn thing has probably put more food on the table than Wal Mart.

Outdoorsman

Depends on where I'm hunting. Downstate I use a Marlin 512 (12 ga.). Upstate I use one of the following: A Ruger M77 .270 Win, a Winchester 94 30-30 Win, a Marlin 1895SS 45-70 Govt. or a Remington 7400 30-06 Springfield. I just got a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that I'm anxious to use this season. I kinda have a thing for lever actions. I know I can't use them all at one time, but they sure are fun to collect and shoot.

Last edited: