• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun shot at Bass Pro bossier city

HeroHog

But they DID look twice! 1st the employee who "cleared" the gun and didn't see the bullet making the bolt hard to close and then the customer whom he just handed the 1/2 loaded gun to who went right on forcing the bolt down on a live round and THEN pulling the trigger for good measure!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But they DID look twice! 1st the employee who "cleared" the gun and didn't see the bullet making the bolt hard to close and then the customer whom he just handed the 1/2 loaded gun to who went right on forcing the bolt down on a live round and THEN pulling the trigger for good measure!

You can't see where you don't look.

Just working the action/bolt is NOT looking.

I would submit that neither one looked. That and the gun owner should have assured that the gun was unloaded before he left the house.

SFCRetired

I would submit that neither one looked. That and the gun owner should have assured that the gun was unloaded before he left the house.

There we have the winner! You open the bolt and carefully look to make sure there is no round in the chamber and then you leave the bolt open.

1. First fail: Owner did not clear and render safe the weapon before leaving home.

2. Second fail: Owner did not double-check the firearm before entering the business.

3. Third fail: Clerk did not adequately clear the weapon.

4. Fourth fail: Owner closed the bolt and pulled the trigger without being sure the chamber was empty.

The hard and fast rule when I was growing up was that you cleared the weapon and left the action open before you brought any long gun into any of my uncles' houses. I only forgot once. Uncle knew how to use a peach tree switch and I never forgot again!

HeroHog

And I agree completely. The fact is they BOTH should have looked, not only then but the owner should have cleared his own gun before leaving his home or at least his vehicle! That the employee didn't notice it should be grounds for dismissal as his job was to insure that the weapon was unloaded and "made safe." On top of that, when the bolt failed to easily close, the intelligent thing to do would have been to LOOK at the danged thing and see why it was hard, not to just blindly force it home. It was a joint effort at stupidity in my view.

JeepSeller

I never receive a gun, of any type, from anyone, without checking and double checking. And I never HAND a gun, of any kind, to anyone, without checking and double checking. I, furthermore, have extremely little respect for anyone who hands me a gun or takes a gun from me w/o checking as well. In fact, I've walked out of a gun store because the clerk went to hand me a gun w/o checking. He said "I KNOW it's unloaded, because we have a rule of NO loaded guns inside this store". I said "stupid doesn't always know or follow the rules and I don't like to bet my safety on stupid and neither should you" as I walked out.

BOTH parties in this story are stupid IMHO.

kimber10mm

bass pro

you have a 7 mm mag round go off and hit the floor AND THER IS NO PROPERTY DAMAGE!

ive been shooting and loading for a 7 mag now about 5 yrs
someone here is full of cracked corn

DCKilla

I don't know the layout of this Bass Pro Shop. The one here in Pearl, MS, the gun shop is on the second floor. That means that the floor is also the ceiling for the first floor. This could have been much worse.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
you have a 7 mm mag round go off and hit the floor AND THER IS NO PROPERTY DAMAGE!

ive been shooting and loading for a 7 mag now about 5 yrs
someone here is full of cracked corn

Massive understatement!

From the description of the impact point with the floor, I'd say the floor material was likely concrete. A 7 mm mag does NOT disintegrate harmlessly upon impact with such material.

Possibly someone will buy a piece of clothing with bullet fragments in it. :uhoh:

PT111

I don't think the employee should be fired because I will guarantee you he will carefully check all weapons from now on. This is like those that say you should always work the slide on your gun three times before breaking it down. Working the slide doesn't mean a thing if you don't LOOK to see if a bullet is in the chamber. Neither one of these two looked to see if the gun was loaded. FAIL big time and thankfully no one was hurt. This was not an accident.

kimber10mm

I don't know the layout of this Bass Pro Shop. The one here in Pearl, MS, the gun shop is on the second floor. That means that the floor is also the ceiling for the first floor. This could have been much worse.

i worked at BP for 2 yrs this most likely happened at the enterence at the front door every gun coming in to store is checked unless its open carry or cc

i remember one day a man came in with a gun that was loaded the clerk at the door took the mag out and placed the gun in the thing (dont remember whats its called) and pulled the trigger to make sure it was "unloaded" needless to say the gun fired in to the bullet trap and needless to say he was re-educated on the propper way to clear a firearm