• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email from Costco tonight..

mparramore

So I get this...
Dear Valued Costco Member:

You may be asking why Costco is engaged in what appears to be a political issue for the first time in our 27 years doing business here. We view this as an issue that transcends politics. One of our guiding principles is to stand up for the rights of our members and consumers in general. We have been fighting for reform of our outmoded liquor laws for many years. Today you have the opportunity to rid the state of inefficiency and waste, and Costco can bring you the choice and value you deserve. Liquor privatization works in 32 other states. Why not here?

So I sent them an email back..
One of our guiding principles is to stand up for the rights of our members and consumers in general...
How about standing for our rights of the constitution? The 2nd amendment says that we have the right to bear arms. Why don't you support that? You say it's for the safety of the members. We as law abiding citizens use this right to protect ourselves and family. Obviously, Costco believes that this right should be taken away. Washington State Gun rights group thanks Costco for supporting them on not allowing law abiding citizens into Costco open carrying and conceal carrying. Do you think that a criminal with the intent to rob Costco is going to follow this rule? Absolutely not.
So sending me emails stating that Costco's guiding principle is to stand up for the rights of our members is crap. I am a member there who is standing up for my right? I will not shop there anymore nor will my family. I will pass this on to other forums that support the 2nd Amendment.

Well, this may not be to investor relations dept. but maybe getting more emails and calls from citizen from all angles help.

Please dont kill me...

Last edited:

dizzle2

So I get this...
Dear Valued Costco Member:

You may be asking why Costco is engaged in what appears to be a political issue for the first time in our 27 years doing business here. We view this as an issue that transcends politics. One of our guiding principles is to stand up for the rights of our members and consumers in general. We have been fighting for reform of our outmoded liquor laws for many years. Today you have the opportunity to rid the state of inefficiency and waste, and Costco can bring you the choice and value you deserve. Liquor privatization works in 32 other states. Why not here?

So I sent them an email back..
One of our guiding principles is to stand up for the rights of our members and consumers in general...
How about standing for our rights of the constitution? The 2nd amendment says that we have the right to bear arms. Why don't you support that? You say it's for the safety of the members. We as law abiding citizens use this right to protect ourselves and family. Obviously, Costco believes that this right should be taken away. Washington State Gun rights group thanks Costco for supporting them on not allowing law abiding citizens into Costco open carrying and conceal carrying. Do you think that a criminal with the intent to rob Costco is going to follow this rule? Absolutely not.
So sending me emails stating that Costco's guiding principle is to stand up for the rights of our members is crap. I am a member there who is standing up for my right? I will not shop there anymore nor will my family. I will pass this on to other forums that support the 2nd Amendment.

Well, this may not be to investor relations dept. but maybe getting more emails and calls from citizen from all angles help.

Please dont kill me...
damn shame. I LOVE Costco. I wasn't aware they weren't gun friendly ...

deanf

You do know that Amendment II doesn't apply on private property, right?

I mean, if Costco was specifically promoting an anti 2nd Amendment rights agenda, that would be one thing, but they are setting rules for conduct on their private property. You've got no right to be there, only license. You've got no right to carry there, only license to, if they choose to grant it, which they have not, which is their right.

This is not a case of one right versus another. It's a case of a right (private property) which clearly trumps your desire to be licensed by them to carry a gun on their private property.

Last edited:

joejoejoe

What a freaking joke. Costco will never get a dime out of me. They say what they think you want here during the time they need you the most. It's all about money, and unfortunately for them, they aren't getting my money.

Joe~

maclean

I mean, if Costco was specifically promoting an anti 2nd Amendment rights agenda, that would be one thing, but they are setting rules for conduct on their private property. You've go no right to be there, only license. You've got no right to carry there, only license to, if they choose to grant it, which they have not, which is their right.

This is not a case of one right versus another. It's a case of a right (private property) which clearly trumps your desire to be licensed by them to carry a gun on their private property.

That was one of the best posts I've read today.

Thank you for putting that in perspective.

Mainsail

I mean, if Costco was specifically promoting an anti 2nd Amendment rights agenda, that would be one thing, but they are setting rules for conduct on their private property. You've got no right to be there, only license. You've got no right to carry there, only license to, if they choose to grant it, which they have not, which is their right.

That was one of the best posts I've read today.
Thank you for putting that in perspective.

You’re very wrong on that. As a person endowed by my creator with certain rights, I don’t maintain or deny them depending on where my feet happen to be at any given moment. I have the exact same rights inside a Costco as I do in my own home.

So the question isn’t whether or not my rights apply on private property (because they still do) but whether or not my rights are respected by the private property owner. Yes, I have to comply with the wishes of the property owner with respect to my civil rights, but my rights do not cease to exist at the threshold.

You might argue that it’s semantics, but you would be wrong. How often do we bristle when some liberal reporter makes the statement that the “constitution gives you the right to_______”. Do you understand the difference between the constitution giving you a right and it merely expressing a right that preexists? Likewise, to make the claim that your rights, any of them, don’t apply on private property is just as wrong; they exist regardless of specific physical location.

Back on topic: The email in the OP only demonstrates their hypocrisy and disrespect for the recipient. They are not at all concerned with rights or customer safety; their concern is for profit (as any good business would). Their claimed guiding principle notwithstanding, their principle is profit and nothing more. They’ll happily jump on the ‘rights’ bandwagon to push the legislation, but do you really think they are taking this side in the debate because they care about your rights or because it will allow them another product from which to profit?

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

What a freaking joke. Costco will never get a dime out of me. They say what they think you want here during the time they need you the most. It's all about money, and unfortunately for them, they aren't getting my money.

Joe~

Joe, of course it's about the money... Why is that a bad thing? This isn't the first time you've said this. It's a business, why wouldn't it be about the money?

For everyone else, just carry concealed in Costco. What's the big deal. I'm sure most of us do this in some instances anyway...

I have a family member that is one of the executives at Costco and she knows I carry there. I've expressed my opinions about Costco's policies on carrying guns and have actually gotten through to her. She sees the reasoning behind how signs won't keep criminals from possibly bringing a gun in anyway.

Ajetpilot

Very accurately stated, Mainsail.

The government does not grant us rights; the Constitution does not grant us rights; property owners do not grant us rights. We are, "endowed by our Creator" with rights. No one but our Creator (whatever that means to you) can take our rights away.

Property owners make rules, but they do not take away our rights. We have a choice. We can either enter the property, or chose not to enter. If we choose to enter, we have another choice. We can choose to follow the owner's rules, or not (CC). If we choose not to follow the rules, we may have to suffer the consequences (be trespassed or evicted).

However, our rights still exist.

Mainsail

Joe, of course it's about the money... Why is that a bad thing? This isn't the first time you've said this. It's a business, why wouldn't it be about the money?

For everyone else, just carry concealed in Costco. What's the big deal. I'm sure most of us do this in some instances anyway...

I have a family member that is one of the executives at Costco and she knows I carry there. I've expressed my opinions about Costco's policies on carrying guns and have actually gotten through to her. She sees the reasoning behind how signs won't keep criminals from possibly bringing a gun in anyway.

The problem with this policy is that you are financially supporting a business that does not respect your civil rights. Further, they do not post their policy on their door, so they find it acceptable to humiliate a customer who inadvertently violates their gun policy. Costco’s secret no-gun policy has resulted in the death of one man so far: http://www.usma1994.com/classnews.aspx?newsid=16

They will never receive my support.

xxx.jakk.xxx

The problem with this policy is that you are financially supporting a business that does not respect your civil rights. Further, they do not post their policy on their door, so they find it acceptable to humiliate a customer who inadvertently violates their gun policy. Costco’s secret no-gun policy has resulted in the death of one man so far: http://www.usma1994.com/classnews.aspx?newsid=16

They will never receive my support.

Wow. I didn't know about that story. I guess Costco not only wants its members unarmed against criminals but also kills off any that are able to defend themselves.

I'm so glad I never got a membership from them. I'd rather pay Albertsons and Walmart prices than financially support a horrible organisation like Costco.

Costco makes me think of a saying by Chris Rock.
"Never go to parties with metal detectors. Sure it feels safe inside, but what about all of those n*****s outside with guns? They know you ain't got one."

Last edited:

Bob Warden

Is it your position that there can be no such things as rights in the absence of a "creator?"

Very accurately stated, Mainsail.

The government does not grant us rights; the Constitution does not grant us rights; property owners do not grant us rights. We are, "endowed by our Creator" with rights. No one but our Creator (whatever that means to you) can take our rights away.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Is it your position that there can be no such things as rights in the absence of a "creator?"

I believe that that is for those who have a religion with a creator. For those who do not have religion or have a religion without a creator then you may believe differently. For me, my rights have always been. They were not given to me by anyone or anything, they just have always been and always will be. though I don't take issue with those who believe differently stating their beliefs in their comments. I know that I may believe differently, but it is one of their rights and mine to believe differently.

Last edited:

Bob Warden

The problem is that reality is whatever it is completely independent of what you, I, or anyone else believes. There either is a creator, or not; our beliefs and opinions on the point are irrelevant. Which brings us back to my original question.
I believe that that is for those who have a religion with a creator. For those who do not have religion or have a religion without a creator then you may believe differently. For me, my rights have always been. They were not given to me by anyone or anything, they just have always been and always will be. though I don't take issue with those who believe differently stating their beliefs in their comments. I know that I may believe differently, but it is one of their rights and mine to believe differently.

knight_308

It still applies even if your creator is "random chance organization of amino acids". It has to do with the very nature of humanity.

Ajetpilot

I suppose, Bob, that if you as a lawyer could successfully argue to the satisfaction of the majority that there is no "Creator", that each and every person's idea of "Creator" is incorrect, then you could rewrite the Declaration of Independence, as President Obama has done on several occasions, and simply eliminate that phrase. You are free to do so. Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue with the thread while disregarding your meaningless attempt to derail the conversation.

http://tinyurl.com/2dmnq9q

Tawnos

I suppose, Bob, that if you as a lawyer could successfully argue to the satisfaction of the majority that there is no "Creator", that each and every person's idea of "Creator" is incorrect, then you could rewrite the Declaration of Independence, as President Obama has done on several occasions, and simply eliminate that phrase. You are free to do so. Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue with the thread while disregarding your meaningless attempt to derail the conversation.

http://tinyurl.com/2dmnq9q

My creator is my parents, who endowed me through American birth with the natural human rights we have constitutionally guarded.

Simple enough.