Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Prestonsburg Community College & Walking Track

  1. #1
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240

    Question Prestonsburg Community College & Walking Track

    Hopefully someone will have a clear cut answer to this query/ We're pretty familiar with the Anti-Carry law withon 1,000' for elementary & high schools. This query is in relationship to a walking track that is open to the general pubic14/7, to the best on my knowledge. This walking track is on property that is also home to a post-secondary education campus as well. This campus does have 2 signs posted one on each side of the cmapus at the entrances/exits.

    Now my query is this, if I go there to walk can I legally OC being that the track is open to the general public, do I have to CC only, OR can I carry at all?

    The root of this query is a firend and I are looking to represent the 2nd Amendment, gun rights, and the OC community at a charitable walk that will be coming up in the near future. We have to join a group to walk and the group we'll be walking with is a work related group, we don't have enough people to actually have a dedicated OC/CC froup ourselves. Being that this is under our group from work but we're not working, our company rules will not apply to us but the issue of the No Firearms Allowed sign at the community colleger campus are the question.

    Anyone have any insight, preferably legal?
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  2. #2
    Regular Member mem1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Martin, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    125
    The best thing I would suggest is to contact law enforcement or an attorney. They can give you the best answers.

  3. #3
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566

    Post Secondary Schools

    Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    Hopefully someone will have a clear cut answer to this query/ We're pretty familiar with the Anti-Carry law withon 1,000' for elementary & high schools. This query is in relationship to a walking track that is open to the general pubic14/7, to the best on my knowledge. This walking track is on property that is also home to a post-secondary education campus as well. This campus does have 2 signs posted one on each side of the cmapus at the entrances/exits.

    Now my query is this, if I go there to walk can I legally OC being that the track is open to the general public, do I have to CC only, OR can I carry at all?

    The root of this query is a firend and I are looking to represent the 2nd Amendment, gun rights, and the OC community at a charitable walk that will be coming up in the near future. We have to join a group to walk and the group we'll be walking with is a work related group, we don't have enough people to actually have a dedicated OC/CC froup ourselves. Being that this is under our group from work but we're not working, our company rules will not apply to us but the issue of the No Firearms Allowed sign at the community colleger campus are the question.

    Anyone have any insight, preferably legal?

    It would be legal for you to walk on the track. The school will ask you to leave or send the local police and ask you to leave. There is no criminal offense for carrying at a college. If you are a student you can be disciplined as a student for carrying. If you will look under KRS 237.115 you will see the law pertaining to College, etc. As for 1000' law that you refer, where is that law located?


    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

  4. #4
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    It would be legal for you to walk on the track. The school will ask you to leave or send the local police and ask you to leave. There is no criminal offense for carrying at a college. If you are a student you can be disciplined as a student for carrying. If you will look under KRS 237.115 you will see the law pertaining to College, etc. As for 1000' law that you refer, where is that law located?

    Thank you Hot Rod for this post. Sadly, after reading through it completely, it doesn't sound asthough we'll be able to to that walk as intended. We were hoping to do this American Cancer Society walk while OC'ing to make for positive press of the 2nd Amenment and Open Carry, like the Open Carry Garbage Pickup. Oh well, thank you for your assistance.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  5. #5
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    Thank you Hot Rod for this post. Sadly, after reading through it completely, it doesn't sound asthough we'll be able to to that walk as intended. We were hoping to do this American Cancer Society walk while OC'ing to make for positive press of the 2nd Amenment and Open Carry, like the Open Carry Garbage Pickup. Oh well, thank you for your assistance.
    I'm working hard to change the Commonwealths position, but it a political challenge. Need to talk to your local state representative and explain your position. That will help if everyone does it.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •