• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ranking Connecticut gun laws on a scale of ONE to TEN

Edward Peruta

Ranking Connecticut firearm laws on a scale of ONE to TEN:

One being the firearm policies of New York City, Washington, DC and Chicago where the second amendment is strictly restricted and NOT recognized, and:
Ten being states like Vermont, and Arizona where anyone who is not a disqualified person is able to purchase, possess and carry firearms openly or concealed for self defense with extremely limited restrictions.

I currently rate Connecticut a SIX out of ten.

My observations on how Connecticut can lawfully raise their ranking and allow residents to exercise their State and Federal Constitutional right to KEEP and BEAR arms for self Defense.

First,

Eliminate the arbitrary and capricious determinations being made on “SUITABILITY” and Connecticut would be a SEVEN on a scale of one to ten

Second:

Educate members of law enforcement and the general population of Connecticut that it’s lawful for a law abiding citizen to carry a firearm openly or concealed for self defense and Connecticut would be an EIGHT on a scale of one to ten

Third:

Eliminate the excessive fees to acquire the training, background checks and permits necessary to exercise Second Amendment Rights and Connecticut would be an NINE on a scale of one to ten

Offer permits free of charge to any Connecticut resident who is 18 years old or over and not disqualified by criminal history, civil restraining orders etc. or mental illness and Connecticut would be a TEN on a scale of one to ten

And finally, if Connecticut recognized and allowed individuals to freely exercise their rights to self protection by carrying firearms like Vermont and Arizona, the state would enjoy the coveted status of being off the chart on a scale of one to ten.

When traveling around the Country I am often questioned by people I meet, especially in Southern California, (San Diego), where I am the lead plaintiff in a key Federal Law Suit regarding Firearm Permits, I am asked how I knew the laws, why I filed the civil case and why I’m so confident that I will prevail in the case.

MY ANSWER IS VERY SIMPLE:

I WAS BORN, RAISED AND EDUCATED IN “THE CONSTITUTION STATE”.

I AM AND WILL REMAIN, A CONNECTICUT YANKEE WHEN IN THE GOLDEN STATE SIX MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR.

Last edited:

KIX

I'm with Ed for a six, only because I have a few additional pet peeves (and I agree with all of Ed's).

Keeping with Ed's numbering....

4. Remove the silly "Have you ever been arrested" question on the permit. Just because a LEO abused his authority and possibly threw you in cuffs, doesn't mean you were convicted of a crime. Isn't this covered by the "have you ever been convicted" questions?

5. Educate local law enforcement agencies how to properly process paperwork. Far too many people are waiting way above statutory guidelines to get their permit. Not only far past the time mandated by law, but still asking for silly paperwork that isn't needed like 3 letters, interviewing your neighbors of your intent to get a permit (more like letting them know which house to rob!).

6. More resources for the firearms board. We shouldn't have to wait a year and a half for an appeal.

Just my .02 cents worth, now I want my change back!

Jonathan

Rich B

4. Remove the silly "Have you ever been arrested" question on the permit. Just because a LEO abused his authority and possibly threw you in cuffs, doesn't mean you were convicted of a crime. Isn't this covered by the "have you ever been convicted" questions?

As long as your case is dismissed, you have little or nothing to worry about.

If the case is nolled, you should be ok as well, but there are rules.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-R-0588.htm

Always ask the necessary questions, but never be afraid to stand up for your rights.

KIX

It's not a matter of worrying, it just shouldn't be there - period.

It's just a prejudicial hunting expedition and there to weed out some people that may not know the whole "nolle" procedure and expunged records.

I strongly feel it just has no place. Convictions covers it just fine.

IMHO, of course.....

Jonathan

Rich B

It's not a matter of worrying, it just shouldn't be there - period.

It's just a prejudicial hunting expedition and there to weed out some people that may not know the whole "nolle" procedure and expunged records.

I strongly feel it just has no place. Convictions covers it just fine.

IMHO, of course.....

Jonathan

Agree completely of course. Just adding some information to help the less informed.

dcmdon

Other than the items Ed mentioned I"d like to see

1)AWB repeal

2) Pistol permit become entirely administered by the state. None of this town by town crap.

3) recognize other states' permits. Which would open the recoprocity door to CT permit holders. I currently spend $300 on non-resident permits about every 5 years so that I can carry in a decent part of this country. Thats crazy.

emsjeep

Other than the items Ed mentioned I"d like to see

1)AWB repeal

2) Pistol permit become entirely administered by the state. None of this town by town crap.

3) recognize other states' permits. Which would open the recoprocity door to CT permit holders. I currently spend $300 on non-resident permits about every 5 years so that I can carry in a decent part of this country. Thats crazy.

I get that this isn't a long gun forum, but if you're going to go ranking states the AWB is a huge issue...at least CT has SOME NFA though....

carry on :cool: