Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempted Carjacking - Detroit

Attempted Carjacking - Detroit

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ker-in-detroit

There is a lot of "idiocy" being perpetrated by the DPD Rep and the News in the video...

"Vigilantism" ? ... wow that cop's statement was amazingly stupid.

Bad guy - 0
    Good Guy - 1
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rotty View Post

Bad guy - 0
    Good Guy - 1
    Well he was "vigilant."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Incredible!

Amazing that the cop would even mention 'vigilante-ism' and that the news anchor would say, "But the victim's in the hospital with a head wound!"

Yes, but the BG won't ever have the chance to harm anyone ever again ... and the victim's wife and baby weren't hurt.

How many times have we read that someone who was not resisting a robbery was killed anyway so they couldn't identify the perp? This guy did the absolutely right thing.

The only thing I wonder about is .... 24 shots between the two of them?

Let's all hope there is a DA/ADA in Detroit that has common sense and honors the Self Defense Act of 2006.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    The only thing I wonder about is .... 24 shots between the two of them?
    More range time for the good guy would be advised. I agree 24 shots is ALOT of shooting.
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

I commend the man for protecting his family, this is why we carry.

The cop is in total denial that citizans should defend themselves, this is why we carry. Cops do not even have the mentallity that the law abiding citizans should defend themselves. He should be repremanded for making statements like the "Vigilanty" statment. This citizan is a HERO to his famliy.

WTG good guy.

More range time for the good guy would be advised. I agree 24 shots is ALOT of shooting.
    A lot of stray bullets. Where did they go?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post

There is a lot of "idiocy" being perpetrated by the DPD Rep and the News in the video...
    they must of changed the video because there is nothing like that in there, only the video commentator saying there was a shootout over a car jacking. ?

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    the fox news link is the one with the interview. it's still there. here is my email to the DPD chief... for what it's worth:

I was surprised and disappointed to hear a statement by Cmdr Steve Dolunt on Fox News yesterday. He was being interviewed in regards to the gas station shootout at Fenkell and Schaefer. He stated the following:
    "we just don't want a lot of citizens goin' out and doin' vigilanteism [sic] stuff"
    This statement is insulting to those who chose to defend themselves and their families. It is the right and responsibility of every human being to defend themselves and their family. As an officer representing the department, his statement was inappropriate in reference to an act of self defense. I urge the Detroit Police department to issue a retraction of that statement.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 10-20-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    the fox news link is the one with the interview. it's still there.
    oops my bad, I was looking at the wrong link.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    the fox news link is the one with the interview. it's still there. here is my email to the DPD chief... for what it's worth:

I was surprised and disappointed to hear a statement by Cmdr Steve Dolunt on Fox News yesterday. He was being interviewed in regards to the gas station shootout at Fenkell and Schaefer. He stated the following:
    "we just don't want a lot of citizens goin' out and doin' vigilanteism [sic] stuff"
    This statement is insulting to those who chose to defend themselves and their families. It is the right and responsibility of every human being to defend themselves and their family. As an officer representing the department, his statement was inappropriate in reference to an act of self defense. I urge the Detroit Police department to issue a retraction of that statement.
    If Dolunt had to get on Fox News and explain how a man his wife and child were murdered over a car, in his messed up mind that is morally superior then explaining to the media that someone defended their family.

For the sake of discussing it, not judging one who defended himself and family, what alternatives existed in this scenario?

To me, it depends. Is my firearm on my person and attached to me or is it attached to/floating around the car?

If it's attached to me and goes where I go, I might be tempted to have my family and I leave the car and then call the cops.

If someone has you at drawn gunpoint and you have yet to draw or even attempt to draw...

What an idiotic thing to say. I guess he was just supposed to give up his car with wife and kids in it. DPD is a joke!

Dolunt aka Doughnut needs to be fired for gross stupidity. The second that scum bag pulled on me it would be the Mozambique drill.

Bad guy - 0
    Good Guy - 1
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

This again reinforces why I carry multiple reloads and multiple guns!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    A lot of stray bullets. Where did they go?
    Not really. If you do some web searches you can find a lot of people who have been shot that many times and more by 9mm and smaller guns, who kept attacking, later bleeding to death, and in some cases even surviving. Additionally, for a guy who was already shot, managing to spray that many rounds off and make at least some of them connect, I think it's just about as it should have been.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post

This link is no longer valid.
    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Yup, and the story is gone from the website.

This why my only 9 MM is a Browning practical loaded Corbon 115 GR JHP that Chrono at 1423 + out of the longer Browning barrel. And if that won't do the 357 Magnum 125 gr semi JHP at 1500 plus will stop em. Always have backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Not really. If you do some web searches you can find a lot of people who have been shot that many times and more by 9mm and smaller guns, who kept attacking, later bleeding to death, and in some cases even surviving. Additionally, for a guy who was already shot, managing to spray that many rounds off and make at least some of them connect, I think it's just about as it should have been.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

I was on my favorite pinko radio station tonight commenting on this topic. They had me on for nearly 2 minutes discussing self defense, situational awareness, and responsibilty of one's own safety. My last words were "Self defense is not vigilantism" as vigilantism seemingly came up on air a lot today. Strangely enough, the hosts of the show agreed with everything I said.
    Last edited by bandersnatch; 10-20-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way?" - Waylon Jennings

file this one under 'that's what he gets'
    it is a clear cut black and white situation. no grey area. this is a textbook case. wonder what the dead robber's family has to say about that? this family man was approached by an armed assailant threatening death. even tho a non-violent option may have been given the victim - give the car up- he still brought a weapon with deadly intent upon this man. he chose and initiated violence and was met with deadly force. the victm was with his family and he had a duty to protect them. the robber chose this path and rightfully got it back. i hope the victim loses no sleep from the outcome of this.

On Fox2 evening News, stated "he took the law in his own hands". I don't think that is accurate per the situation. Selfdefence when shot and protecting family is just that, selfdefence, which is within the law. This guy did the right thing. No way give up car with son in back. BTW, the woman with him was in store, and was not his wife, but his girlfriend. He may want a long hospital stay to to fully recover before going home to wife. Oh well, his wife said he was good man even though he cheated on her. I guess he must be! Anyway he just could have saved his son's life for sure.
    Last edited by Wglide90; 10-20-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast