• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attempted Carjacking - Detroit

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Incredible!

Amazing that the cop would even mention 'vigilante-ism' and that the news anchor would say, "But the victim's in the hospital with a head wound!"

Yes, but the BG won't ever have the chance to harm anyone ever again ... and the victim's wife and baby weren't hurt.

How many times have we read that someone who was not resisting a robbery was killed anyway so they couldn't identify the perp? This guy did the absolutely right thing.

The only thing I wonder about is .... 24 shots between the two of them?

TheQ

Let's all hope there is a DA/ADA in Detroit that has common sense and honors the Self Defense Act of 2006.

Wglide90

I commend the man for protecting his family, this is why we carry.

The cop is in total denial that citizans should defend themselves, this is why we carry. Cops do not even have the mentallity that the law abiding citizans should defend themselves. He should be repremanded for making statements like the "Vigilanty" statment. This citizan is a HERO to his famliy.

WTG good guy.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
the fox news link is the one with the interview. it's still there. here is my email to the DPD chief... for what it's worth:

I was surprised and disappointed to hear a statement by Cmdr Steve Dolunt on Fox News yesterday. He was being interviewed in regards to the gas station shootout at Fenkell and Schaefer. He stated the following:
"we just don't want a lot of citizens goin' out and doin' vigilanteism [sic] stuff"
This statement is insulting to those who chose to defend themselves and their families. It is the right and responsibility of every human being to defend themselves and their family. As an officer representing the department, his statement was inappropriate in reference to an act of self defense. I urge the Detroit Police department to issue a retraction of that statement.

Last edited:

sst0185

the fox news link is the one with the interview. it's still there. here is my email to the DPD chief... for what it's worth:

I was surprised and disappointed to hear a statement by Cmdr Steve Dolunt on Fox News yesterday. He was being interviewed in regards to the gas station shootout at Fenkell and Schaefer. He stated the following:
"we just don't want a lot of citizens goin' out and doin' vigilanteism [sic] stuff"
This statement is insulting to those who chose to defend themselves and their families. It is the right and responsibility of every human being to defend themselves and their family. As an officer representing the department, his statement was inappropriate in reference to an act of self defense. I urge the Detroit Police department to issue a retraction of that statement.

If Dolunt had to get on Fox News and explain how a man his wife and child were murdered over a car, in his messed up mind that is morally superior then explaining to the media that someone defended their family.

TheQ

For the sake of discussing it, not judging one who defended himself and family, what alternatives existed in this scenario?

To me, it depends. Is my firearm on my person and attached to me or is it attached to/floating around the car?

If it's attached to me and goes where I go, I might be tempted to have my family and I leave the car and then call the cops.

If someone has you at drawn gunpoint and you have yet to draw or even attempt to draw...

Bailenforcer

Dolunt aka Doughnut needs to be fired for gross stupidity. The second that scum bag pulled on me it would be the Mozambique drill.

"Vigilantism" ? ... wow that cop's statement was amazingly stupid.

Bad guy - 0
Good Guy - 1

Michigander

A lot of stray bullets. Where did they go?

Not really. If you do some web searches you can find a lot of people who have been shot that many times and more by 9mm and smaller guns, who kept attacking, later bleeding to death, and in some cases even surviving. Additionally, for a guy who was already shot, managing to spray that many rounds off and make at least some of them connect, I think it's just about as it should have been.