• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks hopes free songs, e-books lure customers. Brews Up Curated Web Content

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://news.google.com/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=can+be+read+or+viewed+only+in+Starbucks
EMILY FREDRIX said:
The move comes as Starbucks faces steep competition from McDonald's Corp. and other fast-food chains pushing increasingly fancy coffee drinks. But it also offers Starbucks a chance to make money by selling songs, e-books and other material to customers who linger over its free Wi-Fi, which saw 30 million log-ins last month.
Heh heh heh McDonalds as competition. How the mighty have fallen!

since9

Campaign Veteran
How the mighty have fallen!

Whatever. :rolleyes:

The point here is that they're trying to reposition themselves in the market so as to recapture a fair share.

As for countering McDonalds I think they stand a good chance, as McDonald's coffee is acrid and biting, yet StarBuck's coffee is only slightly more mild.

Seriously! !!! Gah! WHEN will American coffee producers discover most of our tea drinkers are comprised of those who would never deign to answer the coffee surveys of the 80s (do you like it super roasted, exceptionally roasted, or ashes?).

Hint to Starbucks, based on a decade of time overseas:

1. Don't chase your market preferences. SET them.

2. Your market preferences are MILD coffees. Lots of caffeine, yes, but easy on the stomach! (no dark roasted, save for those who love ulcers).

3. Your pastries SUCK. Take a clue from Ghillies, in Blacksburg, Virginia, right next to Virginia Tech. NONE of their breakfast dishes suck.

PS: As simple as my advice is, somone should be paying me about $100 an hour, or at least $400k this next 12 months for the advice I could give them to help them earn millions....

(sigh)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
snip............ As simple as my advice is, somone should be paying me about $100 an hour, or at least $400k this next 12 months for the advice I could give them to help them earn millions....

(sigh)

Perceived value/worth is dependent on whether you are buying or selling. :D