Thread: VFW in south dakota

VFW in south dakota

Just wondering your guys opinion on OC in the local VFW. I assume they sell alcoholic beverages mostly but since it is a non profit organization I can carry in there? I ask because of this south dakota statute-

No person may possess a firearm while in an alcohol establishment which derives over one half of its income from the sale of malt or alcoholic beverages.(SDCL 23-7-8.1)

just wondering how you guys/gals interpret it
    Last edited by XDSTEEL; 10-20-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.

Banned
    I would interpret the law plainly. If over half the money that comes into that VFW comes in from the alcohol sales, it is a no-carry zone. If dues, bingo, and other revenue streams generate one penny more than alcohol sales, then carry on.

The law does not mention non-profits, so the non-profit status of the VFW has no bearing at all.

VFW's (or Am Legion halls) do not permit OC... or CC that I've ever experienced. I belong to both.

I don't know what the VFW permits, however I have to wonder if the fact that it is a private club/orginization, rather than simply a non-profit that anyone can go into has any bearing. You can't be in a VFW or Legion without belonging or as a guest. (Except for example bingo or hall rental.) Just kinda thinkin out loud so to speak.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    The refusal to address the politics of gun carry is ALMOST enough to make me leave my AmLegion post, but I joined to bury and honor my old friends. It is damn aggravating, even during discussions of how to attract younger vets, that guns aren't mentioned -- ever.

No Kidding

Yea that is purpose for places like VFW and american legion for your brothers and sisters you serve(ed) with. But should we not be able to excercise our rights that us and others defend(ed)? i haven't Oced there yet but i plan to.
    Last edited by XDSTEEL; 11-02-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: I do OC just clearing the wording
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.