• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VFW in south dakota

XDSTEEL

Just wondering your guys opinion on OC in the local VFW. I assume they sell alcoholic beverages mostly but since it is a non profit organization I can carry in there? I ask because of this south dakota statute-

No person may possess a firearm while in an alcohol establishment which derives over one half of its income from the sale of malt or alcoholic beverages.(SDCL 23-7-8.1)

just wondering how you guys/gals interpret it

Last edited:

eye95

I would interpret the law plainly. If over half the money that comes into that VFW comes in from the alcohol sales, it is a no-carry zone. If dues, bingo, and other revenue streams generate one penny more than alcohol sales, then carry on.

The law does not mention non-profits, so the non-profit status of the VFW has no bearing at all.

Sonora Rebel

VFW's (or Am Legion halls) do not permit OC... or CC that I've ever experienced. I belong to both.

karlmc10

I don't know what the VFW permits, however I have to wonder if the fact that it is a private club/orginization, rather than simply a non-profit that anyone can go into has any bearing. You can't be in a VFW or Legion without belonging or as a guest. (Except for example bingo or hall rental.) Just kinda thinkin out loud so to speak.

XDSTEEL

No Kidding

Yea that is purpose for places like VFW and american legion for your brothers and sisters you serve(ed) with. But should we not be able to excercise our rights that us and others defend(ed)? i haven't Oced there yet but i plan to.

Last edited: