• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prunedale Homeowner Shoots Burglar

OPS MARINE

A man trying to burglarize a Prunedale home Tuesday was shot in the thigh by the home's owner, deputies said.Deputies said Craig Bowers knocked on the door of a home in Prunedale and when there was no answer, forced his way inside.When Bowers went inside the home the victim told him to get out. When Bowers continued toward the victim, deputies said he shot Bowers.Bowers fled the scene and was later found by deputies at St. Louise Regional Hospital in Gilroy.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/25452666/detail.html

Sonora Rebel

'shot in the thigh'(?) Homeowners should practice their shooting skills more often. No conversation is necessary.

Last edited:

OPS MARINE

I wonder if the shooter was aiming low...or perhaps shooting from a seated position. I know that doesn't excuse the thigh issue, as most of us would aim for COM, but I think that not all of us are going to fall to the same level of training. It seems as though this homeowner was taken aback by the would-be burglar.

And then, of course, the homeowner may have been "shooting to wound." Either way, the BG took a bullet and the homeowner gets to watch his own television tonight. All is well.

OldCurlyWolf

I wonder if the shooter was aiming low...or perhaps shooting from a seated position. I know that doesn't excuse the thigh issue, as most of us would aim for COM, but I think that not all of us are going to fall to the same level of training. It seems as though this homeowner was taken aback by the would-be burglar.

And then, of course, the homeowner may have been "shooting to wound." Either way, the BG took a bullet and the homeowner gets to watch his own television tonight. All is well.

Not in Prunedale, CA, a state without a Castle Doctrine Law. More than one homeowner has lost everything they owned to a theif that sued them for excessive force. :banghead:

Last edited:

Daylen

Not in Prunedale, CA, a state without a Castle Doctrine Law. More than one homeowner has lost everything they owned to a theif that sued them for excessive force. :banghead:

that is why aim is important. Aim well and the badguy will be stopped from harming you permanently.

zack991

'shot in the thigh'(?) Homeowners should practice their shooting skills more often. No conversation is necessary.

I think it had more to do with the myth that is pushed that you should shoot them in the leg or fire a warning shot. Personally all your doing is setting yourself up for huge legal problems. If you shoot you damn better well be aiming for that perps head and chest. I am not sure what ticks me off more, people who don't practice with their firearms or those who only want to wound their attacker. If you shoot, you shoot to "stop" and the best way is two the chest and one in the head, not this shoot them in the leg crap. You don't survive an attack by "trying" to wound them, you just get lucky. Those who feel they cant kill a person in defense of ones family needs to do a gut check, they do more harm than good. The risk so many lives when they have the ability to, but not the heart to use deadly force.

"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure — and in some cases I have — that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy." Jeff cooper

"The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation." Jeff Cooper

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win." Clint smith

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, cause it's gonna be empty." Clint smith

Last edited:

HankT

State Researcher
'shot in the thigh'(?) Homeowners should practice their shooting skills more often.

Wow, tough crowd. Doesn't seem like there is enough info reported about the incident to deduce that the homeowner didn't do a good job...

Just guessing, he did do a good job.

1. He SHOT a gun. Bang!

2. He SHOT a BG. Kapow!

3. He caused a BG to flee. Git!

Gotta give the homeowner some props, no, SR?

Actually I am more concerned about what MCSO spokesman Mike Richards reportedly said: "The law says you have the right to defend yourself, but you need to be genuinely in fear for your safety or the safety of others,"

I've not seen the "G" word used in any state's deadly force statutory language. It's usually the "R" word.

Ole Richards seems to be making things up on the fly . . .what the heck does "genuinely" in fear mean?

Plus, after the BG was captured, he was allowed to walk away!

Doesn't inspire great confidence in MCSO . . .

eye95

Shooting in the leg is either bad aim or a bad idea.

Shoot to stop. Center mass.

Normally ineffective actions sometimes has positive outcomes. Celebrate that positive outcome. However, you still don't praise the normally ineffective actions.

zack991

Like Hank i applaud the home owner.

"Homeowner shoots bad guy who flees, later captured at hospital." End of story.

Yes it worked out well in this instant. What if the fool was high on PCP for example, if your afraid to take a persons life and rather shoot them in the leg instead of center mass, your asking for nothing but legal trouble in the very least. As well as the possibility that your leg shot does nothing more than giving the guy more time to kill more people. The bad guy if not already pulls his gun and has the intent of killing you. To say I will shoot him in the leg WILL be used against you and you will be seeing the inside of a jail cell if it is successfully used against you in court. You are playing with fire, if you feel your life is threaten, you use lethal force every time . If you're dealing with what cops call an ODC (ordinary decent criminal), then most likely nobody is going to get hurt; but once things tip over that edge (and it can happen at any time, with no warning), you are effectively a dead man already, unless you act to prevent that from happening.

It should go without saying, that you should NEVER comply with a criminal who has invaded your home, private office, or car; as these are automatically at an escalated level of violence (because they are emotionally violent and risky acts as well as physically). In fact, if you have effective means of resisting, and are not risking others unduly in the process, I believe you should never comply with a criminal period.

Do not be passive in the face of escalated violence. Once violence has escalated beyond the point of simple assault, you are a dead man waiting for the bullet. Realize that and fight back in any way you can, whether you are armed or not. Remember, ANYTHING can be a weapon. If violence does escalate, respond immediately and decisively. Shoot to stop, use your knife to stop, use your fists, your feet, your teeth, use whatever it takes to end the threat as fast as possible. This isn’t Hollywood, this is your life, and the lives of those around you. You don’t give warning shots and you don’t tell someone to drop their weapon; you shoot them in the head or center chest (or both). Remember though, at this point there is already a high likelihood that you are a dead man if you DON’T do something, so sitting tight and waiting to die isn’t a great idea or trying to give that poor robber, a chance to change his mind by a warning shot or a shot to their leg is going to get you or someone killed.

If you are forced to pull your gun the robber has escalated the violence past talking or given the opportunity to run and deserves no more quarter, you chose to pull your gun in self defense so use it or DON'T CARRY AT ALL. Pulling these tv / movie 30 second guns draws and trying to talk to them is going to get more people killed because you can’t use proper force to stop them. YOU’RE NOT AN FBI AGENT OR A COP, IT’S NOT YOUR JOB TO TALK THEM DOWN OR GIVE THEM A MOMENT OF PAUSE TO THINK. Allow the cops to do their job if they are present, if they are not your ONLY job is the safety of yourself and of those around you. When you draw your gun you have made the choice that your actions may kill the person because THEY escalated past the point of no return. If you can’t see your actions resulting in the death of a criminal because of them forcing your hand to act, you have no business carrying anything.

To me and others you are playing with the lives of those who don't have that ability or the willingness to take a life. They rely on you to have the ability to kill if necessary in hopes of saving others and yourself, if your intent in drawing your weapon is to warn said criminal or hopes of just having to wound them you DO NOT UNDERSTAND the great responsibility you have by choosing to carry. No one wants to have to kill anyone, but if they force me to draw my weapon and my shots only critically wound them then great, they will have their day court. If my rounds kill that person then so be it, I am not pulling my gun to wound. I am pulling my gun to stop said criminal the fastest way possible, you shooting them in the leg does not stop them nor does giving them a warning shot, so don’t do it. Doing either still allows them to have the means to kill people. More than likely they will start shooting as soon as you draw. The, I will give a "warning shot or just attempt to wound them crowd makes me extremely nervous, the fastest way to stop a criminal is causing the most internal tissue damage to their organs and life support as possible. You don't get that from a leg wound period.

Last edited:

Tribunal Power

Like Hank i applaud the home owner.

"Homeowner shoots bad guy who flees, later captured at hospital." End of story.

Not so. He was captured, but it seems the MCSO decided to nap for a little bit after all their good hard work, because the fellow walked right out of his hospital room and, as of the publishing of the article, is still at large.

Thus being the final, end-all philosophy. Best case scenario, shooting to wound means someone else has to use a bullet to stop the next attack. A waste of a bullet from someone who should never have had to have used it, because the assailant should have been shot center mass. Worst case scenario, it gets you sued or killed, and lets the fellow do the same to the next person.

That said, there's no evidence that he was shooting to wound, only that he shot and wounded the assailant. It could have ended better, but the man did the right thing in defense of his home, and he deserves huge kudos for it. Pulling the trigger is never easy when someone is in your sights, no matter how justified.

Yes it worked out well in this instant. What if the fool was high on PCP for example, if your afraid to take a persons life and rather shoot them in the leg instead of center mass, your asking for nothing but legal trouble in the very least. As well as the possibility that your leg shot does nothing more than giving the guy more time to kill more people. The bad guy if not already pulls his gun and has the intent of killing you. To say I will shoot him in the leg WILL be used against you and you will be seeing the inside of a jail cell if it is successfully used against you in court. You are playing with fire, if you feel your life is threaten, you use lethal force every time . If you're dealing with what cops call an ODC (ordinary decent criminal), then most likely nobody is going to get hurt; but once things tip over that edge (and it can happen at any time, with no warning), you are effectively a dead man already, unless you act to prevent that from happening.

It should go without saying, that you should NEVER comply with a criminal who has invaded your home, private office, or car; as these are automatically at an escalated level of violence (because they are emotionally violent and risky acts as well as physically). In fact, if you have effective means of resisting, and are not risking others unduly in the process, I believe you should never comply with a criminal period.

Do not be passive in the face of escalated violence. Once violence has escalated beyond the point of simple assault, you are a dead man waiting for the bullet. Realize that and fight back in any way you can, whether you are armed or not. Remember, ANYTHING can be a weapon. If violence does escalate, respond immediately and decisively. Shoot to stop, use your knife to stop, use your fists, your feet, your teeth, use whatever it takes to end the threat as fast as possible. This isn’t Hollywood, this is your life, and the lives of those around you. You don’t give warning shots and you don’t tell someone to drop their weapon; you shoot them in the head or center chest (or both). Remember though, at this point there is already a high likelihood that you are a dead man if you DON’T do something, so sitting tight and waiting to die isn’t a great idea or trying to give that poor robber, a chance to change his mind by a warning shot or a shot to their leg is going to get you or someone killed.

If you are forced to pull your gun the robber has escalated the violence past talking or given the opportunity to run and deserves no more quarter, you chose to pull your gun in self defense so use it or DON'T CARRY AT ALL. Pulling these tv / movie 30 second guns draws and trying to talk to them is going to get more people killed because you cant use proper force to stop them. YOUR NOT AN FBI AGENT OR A COP, ITS NOT YOUR JOB TO TALK THEM DOWN OR GIVE THEM A MOMENT OF PAUSE TO THINK. Allow the cops to do their job if they are present, if they are not your ONLY job is the safety of yourself and of those around you. When you draw your gun you have made the choice that your actions may kill the person because THEY escalated past the point of no return. If you cant see your actions resulting in the death of a criminal because of them forcing your hand to act, you have no business carrying anything.

To me and others you are playing with the lives of those who don't have that ability or the willingness to take a life. They rely on you to have the ability to kill if necessary in hopes of saving others and yourself, if your intent in drawing your weapon is to warn said criminal or hopes of just having to wound them you DO NOT UNDERSTAND the great responsibility you have by choosing to carry. No one wants to have to kill anyone, but if they force me to draw my weapon and my shots only critically wound them then great, they will have their day court. If my rounds kill that person then so be it, I am not pulling my gun to wound. I am pulling my gun to stop said criminal the fastest way possible and shooting them in the leg does not stop them nor does giving them a warning shot. Doing either still allows them to have the means to kill people. More than likely they will start shooting as soon as you draw. The I will give a "warning shot or just attempt to wound them crowd makes me extremely nervous, the fastest way to stop a criminal is causing the most internal tissue damage to their organs and life support as possible. You don't get that from a leg wound period.

Cold, hard, uncut and unadulterated truth. +1

Last edited:

eye95

Not so. He was captured, but it seems the MCSO decided to nap for a little bit after all their good hard work, because the fellow walked right out of his hospital room and, as of the publishing of the article, is still at large.

One has to wonder if he had been shot center mass, would he be walking out of whatever storage space he was occupying as a result?

zack991

One has to wonder if he had been shot center mass, would he be walking out of whatever storage space he was occupying as a result?

If he had been he would have most likely than not collapsed not too far from where he was shot.