Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asked To Leave Norcal Tea Party Event For Open Carrying

Asked To Leave Norcal Tea Party Event For Open Carrying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDXly4wr3Bo

The local group, the Yuba-Sutter Tea Party Patriots have had zero problems with me and may even have my do a seminar on OC and how to assert your rights when confronted by police, but this Norcal group made it clear to me that they thought the Second Amendment was "fringe" and made them "look bad".

So my question to my fellow OCers is, how have you been treated by the Tea Party?

PS
    I have been to a half dozen Tea Party events ranging from a few hundred to a tens of thousands and this was the first time I have been asked to leave.

kittyhawk63
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDXly4wr3Bo

The local group, the Yuba-Sutter Tea Party Patriots have had zero problems with me and may even have my do a seminar on OC and how to assert your rights when confronted by police, but this Norcal group made it clear to me that they thought the Second Amendment was "fringe" and made them "look bad".

So my question to my fellow OCers is, how have you been treated by the Tea Party?

PS
    I have been to a half dozen Tea Party events ranging from a few hundred to a tens of thousands and this was the first time I have been asked to leave.
    It is obvious that this particular group which is protesting the government about treading on their rights is not concerned about "your" rights. They interfered with them. You had a right to assemble with them as long as you were doing it peacefully. You have as much right to be there as any one of them. Did you explain your rights to them? Did you ask them to tell you what law(s) you were breaking. If this was an open public meeting, you are part of the public.
    Last edited by kittyhawk63; 10-20-2010 at 02:33 PM.

No problems in Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyhawk63 View Post
    You had a right to assemble with them as long as you were doing it peacefully. You have as much right to be there as any one of them. Did you explain your rights to them? Did you ask them to tell you what law(s) you were breaking. If this was an open public meeting, you are part of the public.
    Oh I know and let them know I know that I had every right to be there, I left because I am also polite. It was their event and the only reason I was there.

Someone just posted a comment on my video as I am writing this that the person who told me to leave was just some guy, but I have yet to hear back from the NCTPP and it has been 4+ days since I left voice mails and emails making inquires into their position on OC.

Contacting the event organizers to get an official response is the first step. Holding discusions with them about the varying messages being sent/received probably comes next.

Kudos on deciding not to be confrontational and distract from their event. Please keep the pressure on them to resolve the issue - in one direction or the other.

I've run into that with Tea Party events local to me (Richmond, Va). I guess I'm fortunate to have been exposed to VCDL ( www.vcdl.org ) and how they have dealt with situations like that in the past, and how they continue to respond to such situations. The recent Va. Tea Party Convention was the first event I've been to where the word was put out ahead of time that carry (OC or CC) would actually be welcomed. See http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...mond-10-8-10-9

The use of the "GUNS SAVE LIVES" stickers also gives you cover - it's not just you walking around with your gun on your hip. You are engaged in Constitutionally protected 1st amendment political speech.

stay safe.

They are just hypocrites

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rottman43055 View Post
    They are just hypocrites
    No, there was one hypocrite--maybe. He may just be uninformed.

We should start from the assumption that folks are open, honest, and willing to accept ideas that are new to them. When they prove to be bigoted, then maybe we should drag out the epithets.

Note to self - chek the weather. Eye95 & I are agreeing with each other.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Contacting the event organizers to get an official response is the first step. Holding discusions with them about the varying messages being sent/received probably comes next.

Kudos on deciding not to be confrontational and distract from their event. Please keep the pressure on them to resolve the issue - in one direction or the other.
    #1 I sent the event organizers an email and left them a voice mail almost as soon as I got home.

#2 Thank you, and I will.

Quote Originally Posted by rottman43055 View Post
    They are just hypocrites
    Some are some aren't, at least in my experience.

Thumbs up

While reviewing the YouTube comments, apparently the individual who asked him to leave was merely an attendeed, and not a representative of the NORCAL event. If so, then about all we can say is that the individual was an overzealous busybody who stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Definately take advantage of any invitaton to conduct an OC seminar! Judging by the video, you obviously handled yourself well, and would be a good advocate to further the cause!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

I've run into that with Tea Party events local to me (Richmond, Va). I guess I'm fortunate to have been exposed to VCDL ( www.vcdl.org ) and how they have dealt with situations like that in the past, and how they continue to respond to such situations. The recent Va. Tea Party Convention was the first event I've been to where the word was put out ahead of time that carry (OC or CC) would actually be welcomed. See http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...mond-10-8-10-9

The use of the "GUNS SAVE LIVES" stickers also gives you cover - it's not just you walking around with your gun on your hip. You are engaged in Constitutionally protected 1st amendment political speech.

stay safe.
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a contingent of Tea Party people at Lobby Day in Richmond last January? We of VCDL were there (around 1,000 of us) and nearly all were armed... most openly. I recall comradeship, politeness, and good will from all.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    While reviewing the YouTube comments, apparently the individual who asked him to leave was merely an attendeed, and not a representative of the NORCAL event. If so, then about all we can say is that the individual was an overzealous busybody who stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Definately take advantage of any invitaton to conduct an OC seminar! Judging by the video, you obviously handled yourself well, and would be a good advocate to further the cause!
    Yes, I will be doing an update video on this situation within the week.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a contingent of Tea Party people at Lobby Day in Richmond last January? We of VCDL were there (around 1,000 of us) and nearly all were armed... most openly. I recall comradeship, politeness, and good will from all.
    I want to be clear, it was either a single individual or the Nor Cal Tea Party that asked me to leave, but I have been to a half dozen Tea Party events and this was a first, so I by no means want to paint the Tea Party movement with the same brush.

Asked To Leave Norcal Tea Party Event For Open Carrying

. . . this Norcal group made it clear to me that they thought the Second Amendment was "fringe" and made them "look bad".
    Someone just posted a comment on my video as I am writing this that the person who told me to leave was just some guy
    Were you confronted by a "group" or a "person"? Your remarks are confusing on that point.
    Last edited by DanM; 10-26-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Were you confronted by a "group" or a "person"? Your remarks are confusing on that point.
    Sorry, I was confronted by a person, claiming to be an authoritative representative of the Norcal Tea Party, in retrospect I was likely to trusting and should have demanded identification proving his claim rather than taking him at face value. However, in my defense, we can't go through life assuming people are always lying to us, given the fact that leaving was a minor inconvenience I choose to take this man at his word.

PS
    After sending emails and leaving voice mails with the NCTPP I have received absolutely no contact from official representatives on this subject. But several NCTPP members I know wish I would have stayed and made a fuss : / In a few days I will have more time to make a video explaining the situation to the best of my ability.

we can't go through life assuming people are always lying to us, given the fact that leaving was a minor inconvenience I choose to take this man at his word.
    I agree with assuming people aren't lying, and that is what I do, but it is naive to apply this assumption all the time. The assumption should be applied smartly. In matters of money, major purchases, confrontational a-holes, etc., my policy is, in the words of Reagan, "Trust, but verify".
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Down in San Diego the Tea Party welcomes us however, their security guards are grossly ignorant on the law. I have just stood my ground and asked to speak with the organizers. They have always given us the ok.

Thumbs down

wow.. you guys in California have a long way to progress with open carry if tea party'ers are asking a citizen legally carrying to leave.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    wow.. you guys in California have a long way to progress with open carry if tea party'ers are asking a citizen legally carrying to leave.
    One officious attendee did.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

An overzealous busybody in California? I don't believe it!!
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    An overzealous busybody in California? I don't believe it!!
    As he said sarcastically.

I haven't worked in CA in over 19 years, but I seem to remember a nosy neighbor threatening to call the police/sheriff on me a couple of times when I was working. My answer was and still is: If you don't I will.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

I've never attended a "tea party" rally, as I do not support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    I've never attended a "tea party" rally, as I do not support them.
    Why you poor undereducated person! I am so sorry to hear that.

Please go find some help.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

TAKE ACTION: Tea Bag Your Legislators!

Bipartisonaship: While the goal of the California Tea party is to reduce wasteful government spending which is primarily a Conservative Platform we are not a partisan organization.
    god i hate bipartisanship
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast