• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help with animated avatar

K

kittyhawk63

I am being unsuccessful in getting my animated avatar to work. It is not the one you see now of the eagle. Does it need a different extension? It is a gif. It works in Windows Media Player. :banghead:.....:banghead:.....:banghead:

Thanks for any assistance you may offer.

Last edited:

RR_Broccoli

Make sure the pixel dimensions of the image you upload are at or below the pixel dimensions allowed by the forum.

You can't upload a 150x150 animated gif and expect it to come out OK if the size limit is 80x80. It's probably taking the first frame and dumping the rest when it's
resized, which is what software not specifically designed to deal with animated gifs will do when you try to process something.

You need it to be at or below the maximum size for the forum here _before_ uploading.

You could also try hosting it yourself, then it will just get resized in HTML.

K

kittyhawk63

Make sure the pixel dimensions of the image you upload are at or below the pixel dimensions allowed by the forum.

You can't upload a 150x150 animated gif and expect it to come out OK if the size limit is 80x80. It's probably taking the first frame and dumping the rest when it's
resized, which is what software not specifically designed to deal with animated gifs will do when you try to process something.

You need it to be at or below the maximum size for the forum here _before_ uploading.

You could also try hosting it yourself, then it will just get resized in HTML.

I set the pixels at 100x100. That is not the problem.

I don't know what you mean by "hosting it yourself." Please explain.

Last edited:

HeroHog

He means putting the final .gif on a web site that you control and referring to it by it's URL. If you don't have that ability, I will gladly host it for you on my site @ herohog.com if you email me a copy.

K

kittyhawk63

He means putting the final .gif on a web site that you control and referring to it by it's URL. If you don't have that ability, I will gladly host it for you on my site @ herohog.com if you email me a copy.

Thank you. I appreciate the offer. I will first see if I can locate my old website and then see if I can put it there. However, I'm beginning to really like this eagle. He sure has a scowl on his face. It looks like he could be saying, "Hey, officer, don't ruffle my feathers." Of course, I would never do such a thing.

Last edited: