• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maybe (some of the) Madison PD is starting to get it

The Don

Yesterday my wife met a friend of her for lunch in one of the Rocky Rococo's in Madison.

When she parked she noticed two unmarked squad cars in the parking lot. She went in and sat down to wait for her friend. While she was waiting she noticed two plain clothes officers sitting at the table next to her.

When one of them got up to refill his soda he noticed she was looking at his sidearm and said, "Don't worry Ma'am, I'm a police officer."

She replied with, "Oh, I'm not worried, I was just wondering what you were carrying. I know Open Carry is legal."

He said, "That's right, it is."

I asked if he had a negative tone or anything when he said it, but she said he didn't.

She was more disturbed that he called her "Ma'am" since she's only 30.

Anyway, not that I'd expect an officer would confront a very obviously pregnant woman about it when she isn't carrying, but it seemed like a good interaction from what she described, just the same.

Support The 2nd

Yesterday my wife met a friend of her for lunch in one of the Rocky Rococo's in Madison.

When she parked she noticed two unmarked squad cars in the parking lot. She went in and sat down to wait for her friend. While she was waiting she noticed two plain clothes officers sitting at the table next to her.

When one of them got up to refill his soda he noticed she was looking at his sidearm and said, "Don't worry Ma'am, I'm a police officer."

She replied with, "Oh, I'm not worried, I was just wondering what you were carrying. I know Open Carry is legal."

He said, "That's right, it is."

I asked if he had a negative tone or anything when he said it, but she said he didn't.

She was more disturbed that he called her "Ma'am" since she's only 30.

Anyway, not that I'd expect an officer would confront a very obviously pregnant woman about it when she isn't carrying, but it seemed like a good interaction from what she described, just the same.

She had NO WAY of knowing the information provided to her by the OC individual was valid, might have been a felon! She should have called 911 right away. Uniformed officers would have HAD to respond (8 of them). The policy stated to "cuff" so they would have to be cuffed, had their firearm seized, ID, then released AND don't forget the $400 DC tickets.

This was an excellent opportunity to show the chief and the media how foolish the policy is......

Oh well, maybe next time!

protias

I'm sure some of them do get it, but we unfortunately do not hear about them very often.

TyGuy

Calling 911 on them would have been funny, although I don't encourage it as I would think you might get in trouble for it.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Calling 911 on them would have been funny, although I don't encourage it as I would think you might get in trouble for it.

I was thinking the same thing. Short of calling 911 it would have been ironic just to tell the guys: "Hey, how do I know you are a cop? How do I know you aren't a felon? Do you have some ID? If you don't let me see, I'm going to call the cops!"

Sound familiar?

SprayAndPray

How so ... did he show a badge? was he in uniform?

Just cause someone says they are a cop dont mean sct....

the totality of the circumstances (or whatevertthe hell they called it ) would have forced me to call the cops, to make sure he was a cop and not a felon impersonating a cop

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
My mechanic guru, JasonTDI is a half-mile from the Fitchburg Rococo's. He is pro-gun, pro-OC. While my VW is being serviced I stay at the Super-8 next door.

I pretty much will not eat where beer, at least, is not sold. The Rococo's with which I am familiar definitely serves beer.

Last edited:

Motofixxer

Yes unfortunately they do serve it. But yes, someone should have called 911 and told them you felt "uneasy" and uncomfortable with the situation. After all the chief did say that's what was we should do if we see a gun.

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Yes unfortunately they do serve it.

What do you mean "unfortunately?" I like beer!

Based on the totality of the circumstances, someone should have reported those guys. Who says people can't be "disturbed" or "upset" of "fearful" of armed Polizei? I mean, geez, two guys minding their own business, eating pizza, with guns! Sounds so disturbing and not to mention an affront to community standards.

Motofixxer

"Unfortunately"
Meaning you have to jump through statutory hoops and disarm before you enter or ask permission to carry a means of protecting yourself while having dinner. Nothing implied about the consumption of a choice beverage. You can drink your favorite mix of Turpentine, Ammonia, and Methyl Ethyl Ketone for all I care. Your the one drinking it.

M

McX

to address the title of the thread; Madison PD will get it once they have to pay in a court of law, for not getting it.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Thanks for sharing this story Don.

It brings up a couple of questions for me.

First, if they didn't have a badge visible, then it demonstrates the ultimate hypocrisy of the Madison Police Department. EITHER open-carry doesn't cause a disturbance OR these plain-clothes officers would be (in the eyes of Chief Wray) guilty of disorderly conduct also.

Of course we all know OC never causes a disturbance (and certainly even if it ever did once, that would be the exception, not the rule and "tends to cause a disturbance" would certainly not fit.)

I digress.

My second comment is I KNOW for a fact there are officers with the Madison Police Department who are very disturbed by the policy of their department and the treatment the Madison 5 received at Culvers.

Unfortunately, given the culture inside police departments, when the rubber hits the road, even though there is a significant portion of police officers who completely support us in principle, their internal culture dictates that they support their fellow officers first and respect the law second.

The Don

I'll ask my wife if she they had their badges visible. I'm curious now.

As for the second, yeah, I know of some officers in the MPD who do support OC, but then in the same breath they say the "Madison 5" should have just given up their IDs because/if they had nothing to hide since doing so "doesn't hurt anything".

I'm working on them about that latter aspect of their attitude. So far, I'm having limited success, but I am generally making progress with them.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Unfortunately, I don't think it will be possible to change the culture from within.

When its an officers discretion whether to acknowledge your rights or not, I don't have confidence in the outcome.

As McX has noted:

Madison PD will get it once they have to pay in a court of law, for not getting it.

Its time to create consequences. (hence all our lawsuits) Its the only way. I wish there were another way, but I no longer believe their is.

Officers who follow the law will have no issue. Officers who do not will have consequences in court.