• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction Thread

Coded-Dude

Glad I stumbled upon this site. There seems to be a lot of good information for anyone interested in anything pertaining to guns.

I was born and raised in Oklahoma and moved out to California at age 20(for work). After 10 years of living here, I can say that is a great place, but I will probably not stay here forever. I bought my first handgun at the age of 22 and it was a Browning .40
BrowningHP40sw.jpg

Back then you could travel to a nice little spot right between Roseville and Lincoln off the 65 and shoot out in a field. Due to expansion that is no longer allowed. Camp Far West(or just past it) seems to be one of the last places one can shoot "for free" at without too many problems from LEO's.

Anywho, after all the expansion I found myself using the gun less and less, until one day I decided to barter it to a friend I owed some money to. It was his idea, but I didn't mind. I'm actually considering bartering it back, but I have other priorities first.

Its been a while since I've owned the 40, and I have been itching to buy a revolver. So.... I started researching guns again. It was then that I discovered this place. I remember hearing about the OC movement on the news when it was a big deal(here) a few years back, but I didn't own a gun and thus was not inclined to participate.

After several days of internet searching and browsing local gun stores, I went down to Sportman's yesterday took the HSC and purchased a Smith and Wesson BodyGuard 38.
103038.jpg

Don't remember the BFSC being so easy when I took it in 02, but if you can't pass this test, you may want to have your head examined by a doctor......Now I get to wait 10 days and then a friend and I will be heading down to San Jose area to shoot at a range he used to frequent.

The next thing I need to decide is whether to buy a holster or go down to Tandy's and get the stuff to make my own. I'm leaning towards the later, strictly because of the location of the laser sight on the gun. I've read some J-frame holsters don't like this particular model because its so different in design. I also prefer the shoulder rigs to belt holsters.

Anywhy, I will be taking several gun safety courses, and eventually attempt to get my CCW, but in the mean time I will prolly be out and about OC'ing from time to time. My biggest problem is the location of my house. I live right near placer county fairgrounds and there are about 6-10 different school zones within a mile or two of my location(2 are under half a mile in either direction). My truck is broke down so I mainly walk or ride a bike, but now I am going to have to navigate new routes to avoid any legal mistakes.

I've been reading this forum for a little over a week now and decided I might as well start contributing some, so here is my first post.

Cheers!

K

kittyhawk63

Welcome to OCDO Coded-Dude. You are surely welcome to this site. I am fairly new myself as you can see by my starting date. There is a lot of good information here.

I would hold off OCing until you have been able to go out with some more experienced OCer. You can learn a lot by going out with someone who has had an encounter with LEOs and have come home to talk about it "the same day." The more encounters the better for you to learn from.

Watch those school zones. I would use more than 1000' as my barrier so the LEOs don't have any excuse to question you.

Again, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Last edited:

markm

Hello Coded-Dude,

Welcome to this forum!

I live in Roseville and have some experience with the Roseville PD (very minor but positive interactions; it was regarding OC and 1A). PM me as I know your area.

I suggest you PM Iopencarry and find out when the next OC event is in the Bay Area. OC with Iopencarry and his fellow members. They are really nice people and they will help you with your first OC experience. I have carried guns in non-incorporated areas, both prohibited shooting areas and non-prohibited shooting areas, for decades, but was still nervous about OCing in a city. Iopencarry and his fellow members were great and it was lots of fun.

The Lincoln Rifle club is a great place to shoot. Google them and access their hours of operations and closure dates. They allow non-members to shoot for $10 when the range is not restricted to club members. It is well worth the money as the site and magement are excellent.

OT:
I will be OCing in Yosemite this weekend. I will have fishing gear and my fishing license in my pack. I am worried that I may accidently cover-up my S&W 28 with my parka; it will probably rain while I am hiking.

12027 (g) will be my acquital-card if I am busted for 12025 by accidently covering-up my Highway Patrolman.

I will alternate my rounds between full magnum Sierra flat point slugs for bear, and 125 grain Sierra hollow points for two legged BGs and cougars. I will have two speedloaders alternately loaded in the same manner. Unfortunately, while blindfolded, it takes me 5 to 7 seconds to draw and load-up my revolvers with speed loaders.

I love meeting-up with tree-huggers on the trail while armed; they scowl so nicely! Their expression says it all: "He clings to his guns and religion!" As we depart I show them old glory. I am also a flag waver. They HATE me!

markm

markm

I would hold off OCing in KA!

I wouldn't, but different strokes.

Welcome to OCDO!

The LEO and Legal climate are a bit different here in Kalifornia versus the great state of North Carolina. It is a legal mine field here. The Bill of Rights and SCOTUS case law are considered by many to be outdated concepts in our progressive (neo-Marxist) political environment. We are slowly busting down the doors with a political and legal approach.

It can be tuff sledding here in the PRK.

We aint Arizona where a real Governor and legislature politically beat-down progressives and keep them in their place on a daily basis.

markm

hgreen

OT:
I will be OCing in Yosemite this weekend. I will have fishing gear and my fishing license in my pack. I am worried that I may accidently cover-up my S&W 28 with my parka; it will probably rain while I am hiking.

12027 (g) will be my acquital-card if I am busted for 12025 by accidently covering-up my Highway Patrolman.

I will alternate my rounds between full magnum Sierra flat point slugs for bear, and 125 grain Sierra hollow points for two legged BGs and cougars. I will have two speedloaders alternately loaded in the same manner. Unfortunately, while blindfolded, it takes me 5 to 7 seconds to draw and load-up my revolvers with speed loaders.

I love meeting-up with tree-huggers on the trail while armed; they scowl so nicely! Their expression says it all: "He clings to his guns and religion!" As we depart I show them old glory. I am also a flag waver. They HATE me!

markm

When I OC'd in Sequoia this summer I did several hikes as well as hitting the main tourist spots. Never once was stopped by rangers even when I walked right in front of them. Only weird looks I got were from the foreigners.
http://www.southbayopencarry.org/2010/06/22/open-carrying-in-sequoia-national-park/

Coded-Dude

Welcome to this forum!

I live in Roseville and have some experience with the Roseville PD (very minor but positive interactions; it was regarding OC and 1A). PM me as I know your area.

I suggest you PM Iopencarry and find out when the next OC event is in the Bay Area. OC with Iopencarry and his fellow members. They are really nice people and they will help you with your first OC experience. I have carried guns in non-incorporated areas, both prohibited shooting areas and non-prohibited shooting areas, for decades, but was still nervous about OCing in a city. Iopencarry and his fellow members were great and it was lots of fun.

The Lincoln Rifle club is a great place to shoot. Google them and access their hours of operations and closure dates. They allow non-members to shoot for $10 when the range is not restricted to club members. It is well worth the money as the site and magement are excellent.

OT:

markm

Thanks for the tips. I will keep all that in mind. I know the Lincoln gun Range and have shot there before(with a member). I will probably get a membership so I can shoot there anytime I want(instead of on the weekends).

I just got back from Yosemite a week or so ago. Weather was beautiful. Wish I would have had my gun then. Oh well. Have a great time, and thanks again.

Thanks to others as well for the warm welcome and helpful information. Much appreciated.

Iopencarry

Mark,
Thanks for the nice complement. It is always nice to hear good words spread about you.

We do have a great group of people in the bay area. Everyone is welcome to come to our events.

We have one planned in Sac on the 13th. as more details become available, I will post them.

From the SOC group.
November 13th there will be a Sacramento Event. Sacramento was instrumental in the support of the ban on open carry. Brady Campaign member is on the city council. Please reserve this date, it will be pizza and at 6pm. Right now there is another open carrier finding a good place that is clear of schools.
Thank you, Sacramento Open Carry

DP