• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Our CPL and why I believe it should be recognized in all 50 states

SlowDog

OK....I am posting this because I have a question which brings me to an opinion on our CPL.
According to the Constitution of the United States if we have a license from one state it must be recognized by all 50 states....ie marriage, business & drivers licenses. We have Concealed Pistol LICENSES. In my tiny mind this should mean it HAS to be recognized by all other states like my drivers license and my business license and also my marriage license.

Could someone way smarter then this dumb old truck driver tell me why I am right or wrong....Thanks

1245A Defender

uhhuh!

under the privilege or immunities clause, or the equal protections clause, i have to agree!!
national reciprocity is the only thing that makes any sense!
another way to go is constitutional carry under the second amendment!
how, why, where you carry should all be protected!
the law for fire arms should only govern how, where, and why you shoot it!

PT111

Not true - There is some arguement on this but as far as I can tell, subject to rebuttal, that there is nothing in the Constitution or in Federal law that says that one state has to honor the drivers license or marriage license from another state. The gay marriage deal is a perfect example of this. Then you get into professional licenses such as lawyers or doctors, they have to be licenesed by each state individually.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OK....I am posting this because I have a question which brings me to an opinion on our CPL.
According to the Constitution of the United States if we have a license from one state it must be recognized by all 50 states....ie marriage, business & drivers licenses. We have Concealed Pistol LICENSES. In my tiny mind this should mean it HAS to be recognized by all other states like my drivers license and my business license and also my marriage license.

Could someone way smarter then this dumb old truck driver tell me why I am right or wrong....Thanks

While I would agree that the Constitution does reaffirm our RKBA, we have entered into "reasonable" restrictions and thereby permits.

I much prefer voluntary reciprocity (states rights) as opposed to federally mandated recognition or a national permit system. What big government gives, it can take away, restrict or change.

Point of interest - the last state to honor drivers licenses from other states was South Dakota (?) back in the 1920's. We now have federal laws effecting DLs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

Bailenforcer

Actually The United States Constitution does not require license. Those rights are granted by the Creator PERIOD!

To license is to restrict rights. Yes if they decided you can't be licensed then they are taking your rights with NO just cause.

So if we followed the law of the land we should be able to carry anywhere we see fit.

Bailenforcer

We disagree. I support the Constitution and the universal right to defend myself as I see fit, aka the RIGHT to keep and BEAR arms. Under this Law no state can restrict.

While I would agree that the Constitution does reaffirm our RKBA, we have entered into "reasonable" restrictions and thereby permits.

I much prefer voluntary reciprocity (states rights) as opposed to federally mandated recognition or a national permit system. What big government gives, it can take away, restrict or change.

Point of interest - the last state to honor drivers licenses from other states was South Dakota (?) back in the 1920's. We now have federal laws effecting DLs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

Bailenforcer

But the Constitution gives a universal right to all citizens to carry. No matter where one is in this country.

Plus Marriage laws are Unconstitutional as well. Marriage is a religious right and no Government should intervene and restrict that right I have to select that woman I choose to marry. Nor do they have the right to make me ask permission from Caesar aka a license. I find it unbelievably contradictory to demand I beg the Government to Marry, while the speak of religious freedoms.

Not true - There is some argument on this but as far as I can tell, subject to rebuttal, that there is nothing in the Constitution or in Federal law that says that one state has to honor the drivers license or marriage license from another state. The gay marriage deal is a perfect example of this. Then you get into professional licenses such as lawyers or doctors, they have to be licensed by each state individually.

Last edited:

TheQ

Here's the simple answer:

Driver's Licenses aren't inherently recognized between states. Each State belongs to a compact (basically a treaty, but a treaty or agreement between states in the country, not between other countries) that says each state belonging to the compact shall recognize the drivers licenses of other states belonging to said compact.

Businesses: A business is licensed in each individual state it does business in (ex: a physical/brick & mortar presence.

For more read of the Constitution Clause you speak of read about the Full Faith and Credit Clause.

Many states, such as Wisconsin, do not recognize any rate to carry a concealed weapon, even amongst their citizens. Surely, Michigan has no right to say to WI that you must allow our peeps to carry a concealed weapon when you don't allow your own peeps to do so. This would be like Nevada saying you must allow our licensed hookers to come practice in Michigan (not something I personally have a problem with, BTW).

PDinDetroit

But the Constitution gives a universal right to all citizens to carry. No matter where one is in this country.

Plus Marriage laws are Unconstitutional as well. Marriage is a religious right and no Government should intervene and restrict that right I have to select that woman I choose to marry. Nor do they have the right to make me ask permission from Caesar aka a license. I find it unbelievably contradictory to demand I beg the Government to Marry, while the speak of religious freedoms.

Then you are gonna love this!

In Michigan, pastors are required to take a specific amount of training prior to being licensed by The State Of Michigan to perform weddings and marry people! The State of Michigan has to "approve" a pastor's credentials!

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-551-7

http://www.ehow.com/list_6633200_michigan-pastor-requirements.html

Bailenforcer

Michigander

I believe the second amendment reaffirms a 50 state right to carry. I have no problems with a state restricting CC, but when they restrict OC, CC becomes the constitutional option. With or without reciprocity agreements, I don't really care who recognizes CPL's. They are a part of an abusive state government.

Anyway, about truckers, I have long believed you interstate guys should be given the opportunity to attain federal agent status on account of what the job entails. There is almost nothing a person reading this post can point to that wasn't taken across state lines by truckers. You guys have a dangerous and demanding job with the potential to encounter a lot of criminals who want a few hundred grand+ worth of cargo, sometimes extremely dangerous cargo and I fail to see why anyone on any side of gun rights would have an issue with qualified truckers having the right to do special programs to become federal agents in order to allow 50 state carry. I think it would make sense for the safety of both the public at large, and the truckers themselves.

PT111

I believe the second amendment reaffirms a 50 state right to carry. I have no problems with a state restricting CC, but when they restrict OC, CC becomes the constitutional option. With or without reciprocity agreements, I don't really care who recognizes CPL's. They are a part of an abusive state government.

Anyway, about truckers, I have long believed you interstate guys should be given the opportunity to attain federal agent status on account of what the job entails. There is almost nothing a person reading this post can point to that wasn't taken across state lines by truckers. You guys have a dangerous and demanding job with the potential to encounter a lot of criminals who want a few hundred grand+ worth of cargo, sometimes extremely dangerous cargo and I fail to see why anyone on any side of gun rights would have an issue with qualified truckers having the right to do special programs to become federal agents in order to allow 50 state carry. I think it would make sense for the safety of both the public at large, and the truckers themselves.

So you are saying make it part of the CDL. Actually not a bad idea. The CDL is a Federally controlled deal unlike a regular DL and states wouldn't have any control over it. Maybe you should get that going. Then if you get your CDL you would also have a universal CWP.

CharleyMarbles

So you are saying make it part of the CDL. Actually not a bad idea. The CDL is a Federally controlled deal unlike a regular DL and states wouldn't have any control over it. Maybe you should get that going. Then if you get your CDL you would also have a universal CWP.

I only have one question? So if you combine the licences and make it a fed. agancy then what do you do with all the truckers who are convicted felons???

Mind you I like the idea but it would either put alot of truckers out of work or *crosses fingers* do away with the stupid notion that free people should be striped of God given rights???

Haman J.T.

We need to eliminate all licensing and registration completely.It's all unconstitutional.Repeal the 1968 Gun Control act!

SlowDog

There is nothing that stops me from carrying my weapon in my truck. I often have my pistol with me driving interstate. Where I can get in a bind and makes it hard to ALWAYS carry it with me is the ban on any weapons on federal/military installations.

Also...every states laws are different so I always tell people if your gonna carry make sure you know the laws of the states your in. I believe the laws should be the same as per the 2a and that if I am entering a federal facility there should be a place to secure my weapon just like they do for visiting LEO's.....just sayin.